ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #8611
gk ryder
is this thing on?
 
gk ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Great Southern Land
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50msns
... I think the Scrambler can do all that and it is one of the best looking bikes around.

It goes a bit like this.

1. You buy a Scrambler, you're happy you never think about the other options again.

2. You buy a KLR et al, but don't buy a Scrambler, you convince yourself you were pragmatic and did the right thing. You convince your mates you did the right thing...

3. You buy a KLR et al, then much later you buy a Scrambler ...OMG!
NEVER DID YOU KNOW HOW EMPTY WAS YOUR SOUL UNTIL IT WAS FILLED!
You cry, you regret not having done it sooner... your friends don't understand why you have a beautiful bike in your living room but can't ride it from the torture of time gone by.



Go with #1 for God's sake man!
gk ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #8612
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ChrisLX200's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Macclesfield, UK
Oddometer: 165
Arrow 2:1 replacement baffle

I made a replacement baffle for the Arrow 2:1 exhaust, so I can tune the sound without cutting up the original part (at MOT time I can just put the original back in). The replacement is made from a stainless steel ring turned on the lathe and a length of 1" ID copper pipe press-fit into the ring. To start with I'm using a similar length of pipe (but with open end and it's a wider bore than the original).






It sounds quiet at tickover but get louder fairly quickly with increased throttle opening. There's a noticeable rasp on changing gear. I'll try to make a sound file later...
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #8613
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Noosa, Australia
Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLX200
I made a replacement baffle for the Arrow 2:1 exhaust, so I can tune the sound without cutting up the original part (at MOT time I can just put the original back in). The replacement is made from a stainless steel ring turned on the lathe and a length of 1" ID copper pipe press-fit into the ring. To start with I'm using a similar length of pipe (but with open end and it's a wider bore than the original).



It sounds quiet at tickover but get louder fairly quickly with increased throttle opening. There's a noticeable rasp on changing gear. I'll try to make a sound file later...
Chris, We modified our OEM baffle tube (as outlined in my post mid last year) as shown in these pics. From memory, the stock baffle tube is about 22mm Diameter so we removed it from the flange and welded in a piece of 26mm tube.


We discovered that unless you extend the pipe past the end of the muffler body, you get the raspy sound that you speak of. This happens after closing the throttle after a good rev or a downchange and according to my local exhaust specialist, it is caused by the sound waves "rattling" around in the recessed muffler end. You can see from the pic below that we have extended the 26mm tube approx. 5mm past the end of the muffler body and by doing this, we eliminated the annoying sound squeak. I would think that if you pressed the copper tube through your new flange by approx another 20mm you would cure the raspy sound.


Since this time, we have modified the OEM baffle insert yet again. Basically, we turned the previous piece of 26mm inner pipe off the flange using a lathe then rewelded a longer length of 32mm tube in it's place. We then enlarged out the inner end on a pipe expander so that it slid neatly over the internal pipe inside the muffler. The exhaust flow now enjoys an uninterupted 32mm diameter flow right through the muffler. This outlet diameter gives us the same power ouput as the muffler sans baffle but gives the bike a nice note and keeps the volume of exhaust noise down to an acceptable level providing the throttle is used with restraint in town.

You can see the second version 32mm outlet in the pic below. When I get time I will remove the second time modified insert and post a pic. Griz
__________________
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out the window.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 06:47 AM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #8614
m4fz
Living on Island time
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50msns
Just when I thought I was getting things figured out........

I'm new to the site and currently bikeless. I've been riding off and on for about 40 years, mostly Harleys but like a lot I started out on dirt bikes. I have decided to get back on two wheels and figured I wanted an adventure bike, maybe a dual purpose. Had it narrowed down to a couple, maybe a F650 or G650, maybe a KLR and then I remember the Scrambler. Now I can't get the bike out of my head. I've been working my way through this thread slowly over the last few days...haven't seen anything yet that makes me think a Scrambler wouldn't work for me. The bike would be my daily driver and most of my riding will be a mix of tarmac and gravel/dirt with some occasional rougher two track stuff. I want the ability to do an occasional solo long weekend, maybe week long, ride with the ability to throw on a sleeping bag, tent and a duffle with some clothes and food. I think the Scrambler can do all that and it is one of the best looking bikes around.

Back in the day I would take my SL70 and go fishing, camping in my pup tent, strap on a scabbard and go hunting. now I'm doing it again, the Scrambler is my SL70 all grown up. how did we do without the Scrambler design for all these years? back to the future.
m4fz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #8615
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer
 
henryII's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sandefjord, Norse
Oddometer: 370
A day out but still cold...

Just above the biggest salmon rivers in my county..


A quick stop in a small place located by the cost. Wifi with her bonnie


__________________
________________________________________

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/





[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #8616
Krahe
Studly Adventurer
 
Krahe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Midwest US
Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII
Just above the biggest salmon rivers in my county..


A quick stop in a small place located by the cost. Wifi with her bonnie


Excellent pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50msns
Just when I thought I was getting things figured out........

I'm new to the site and currently bikeless. I've been riding off and on for about 40 years, mostly Harleys but like a lot I started out on dirt bikes. I have decided to get back on two wheels and figured I wanted an adventure bike, maybe a dual purpose. Had it narrowed down to a couple, maybe a F650 or G650, maybe a KLR and then I remember the Scrambler. Now I can't get the bike out of my head. I've been working my way through this thread slowly over the last few days...haven't seen anything yet that makes me think a Scrambler wouldn't work for me. The bike would be my daily driver and most of my riding will be a mix of tarmac and gravel/dirt with some occasional rougher two track stuff. I want the ability to do an occasional solo long weekend, maybe week long, ride with the ability to throw on a sleeping bag, tent and a duffle with some clothes and food. I think the Scrambler can do all that and it is one of the best looking bikes around.
Why I picked the Triumph Scrambler over the BMW650GS:

1. The GS was too tall for me.

2. I wanted a bike that could handle pavement and dirt roads so I could satisfy my hunger for exploration.

3. May father has a 64' Triumph and I have find memories of him taking me for spins around the back yard.

4. The Scrambler looks good enough to take to the office or out for a night on the town. The design speaks to me for some reason, the high pipes especially. I could see all the potential for changing the way it looked, something the GS lacks.

5. I was new to riding and wanted something that would be easy to ride but would provide room to grow. I knew that if I ended up wanting a more serious off road bike I could always get one later, but the Scrambler was unique and rare, they might stop making it if it didn't sell well.
__________________
-Stock '07 Triumph Scrambler
6200 miles

Krahe screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 09:46 AM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #8617
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ChrisLX200's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Macclesfield, UK
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
We discovered that unless you extend the pipe past the end of the muffler body, you get the raspy sound that you speak of. This happens after closing the throttle after a good rev or a downchange and according to my local exhaust specialist, it is caused by the sound waves "rattling" around in the recessed muffler end. You can see from the pic below that we have extended the 26mm tube approx. 5mm past the end of the muffler body and by doing this, we eliminated the annoying sound squeak. I would think that if you pressed the copper tube through your new flange by approx another 20mm you would cure the raspy sound.


Since this time, we have modified the OEM baffle insert yet again. Basically, we turned the previous piece of 26mm inner pipe off the flange using a lathe then rewelded a longer length of 32mm tube in it's place. We then enlarged out the inner end on a pipe expander so that it slid neatly over the internal pipe inside the muffler. The exhaust flow now enjoys an uninterupted 32mm diameter flow right through the muffler. This outlet diameter gives us the same power ouput as the muffler sans baffle but gives the bike a nice note and keeps the volume of exhaust noise down to an acceptable level providing the throttle is used with restraint in town.

You can see the second version 32mm outlet in the pic below. When I get time I will remove the second time modified insert and post a pic. Griz
Thanks Griz. I'll need to machine out the end of the ring then because I left a shoulder on the outer edge so it's not possible to push the tube through. I can make a short threaded extention to screw into it though.

The 'rasp' is not so irritating that I hate the sound, it's kinda interesting and it sure turns heads I am getting crackling/popping on deceleration though which I don't like (not loud, but sort of constant when heavy engine-breaking) which may be part of the same problem. I can't see how it can be the AI system working overtime so I guess it's also due to the baffle.

Moving to a larger 32mm (1-1/4" for us old folk) tube - is possible if I can lay my hands on some tubing. I don't think I have anything suitable in the 'shop and I'd hate to have to bore out solid barstock just for that.
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #8618
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,541
I don't know that I will EVER get things figured out.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50msns
Just when I thought I was getting things figured out........

I'm new to the site and currently bikeless. I've been riding off and on for about 40 years, mostly Harleys but like a lot I started out on dirt bikes. I have decided to get back on two wheels and figured I wanted an adventure bike, maybe a dual purpose. Had it narrowed down to a couple, maybe a F650 or G650, maybe a KLR and then I remember the Scrambler. Now I can't get the bike out of my head. I've been working my way through this thread slowly over the last few days...haven't seen anything yet that makes me think a Scrambler wouldn't work for me. The bike would be my daily driver and most of my riding will be a mix of tarmac and gravel/dirt with some occasional rougher two track stuff. I want the ability to do an occasional solo long weekend, maybe week long, ride with the ability to throw on a sleeping bag, tent and a duffle with some clothes and food. I think the Scrambler can do all that and it is one of the best looking bikes around.
To be honest, I kind of bought my Scrambler on a whim. Had demoed one at Daytona and liked it (along with 20 or 30 others "on the list") and found a leftover '08 in a dealership at a good price while waiting for parts for my FXDX (adding to the "weak moment"). The "new" has pretty much worn off and I still love it. If I could only have one bike (blasphemy) it would certainly be a contender for the spot, perhaps ranking higher than anything currently in the stable. I have let a few friends ride it, as much to see if their perceptions were similar as any thing else, thus far we have been in agreement that it is an amazingly easy bike to ride fairly well on and at the same time it is enjoyable, not feeling like a "beginners" bike that would soon become boring. Opinions certainly vary, riders needs and desires change, we grow and learn under different influences but one thing that impresses me about the bike is how many riders (on here), of so varied experience, are happy with it! I have other bikes that may be better at specific tasks but find that I grab the Scram first unless I "need" to take one of the others. YMMV.

Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #8619
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.
 
Mista Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Oddometer: 15,707
Great pics, Henry!!
__________________
-
"The turd follows the fart as surely as the rain follows the plow."

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #8620
50msns
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NE Washington State
Oddometer: 18
Several people here have hit on how the Scrambler speaks to some of us in a way that other bikes don't. I am sure I would be happy if I had a KLR or a G650 sitting in my drive. They are proven bikes that would have the ability to take me just about anywhere I wanted to go and would put a smile on my face while doing so. Just about anything on two wheels is more fun than driving most 4wheeled vehicles.

The difference for me is how I feel when I simply look at the Scrambler. The bike makes me smile simply by looking at it. KLRs, XRs, DRs, BMWs etc. none of them make me react that way. They are competent bikes but don't make me excited to think about owning one, they are simply a means to an end. There is nothing wrong with that. For a lot of people the bike isn't as important as what it can do for you, where it can take you. For me, it is important to feel connected to and passionate about what I am riding. So far, the Scrambler is the only bike that strikes that cord in me.
50msns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #8621
50msns
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NE Washington State
Oddometer: 18
The other thing I have noticed is the difference in the posts by Scrambler owners compared to owners of other bikes. Most of the posts i have read by Scrambler owners have talked about how much they love their bikes and the rides they have gone on, others have talked about performance upgrades. I can't think of many, if any, posts I have seen that talk about recurring problems with the bike which seems to be fairly common in some of the other manufacturer's threads. Granted there are numerically fewer Scramblers on the road than KLRs, F/G650s etc. but it seems like Triumph has put out a more reliable, better built product.
50msns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #8622
M700
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Washington State, the dry side
Oddometer: 418
HenryII - great photos! I enjoyed visiting your country some years ago, up around Bodo, courtesy of NATO. You live in a beautiful country with good beer, good food, and pretty girls. I'd like to return for the salmon fishing someday.
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #8623
wanka
Adventurer
 
wanka's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Oddometer: 43
I've been watching this thread for a while now. I must say I am very interested in a Scrambler. I want a bike that does everything, fire roads, highway and also be able to put in the back of the truck while towing the wife's camper. I own a Victory, which is too big for the truck and we only have so much riding season up here, so being able to ride while on vacation is important. I almost bought a DR650 and just found out the G650 Beemer's are now available up here. However, I can't say I've read many good reviews on the Beemer. So it looks more positive for the Scrambler.

Why I was looking at the 650's was for weight reduction and loading issues. Again, you can't have everything.

So what do you guys think?
wanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #8624
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated
 
MightyChosen1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Central,IL
Oddometer: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanka
I've been watching this thread for a while now. I must say I am very interested in a Scrambler. I want a bike that does everything, fire roads, highway and also be able to put in the back of the truck while towing the wife's camper. I own a Victory, which is too big for the truck and we only have so much riding season up here, so being able to ride while on vacation is important. I almost bought a DR650 and just found out the G650 Beemer's are now available up here. However, I can't say I've read many good reviews on the Beemer. So it looks more positive for the Scrambler.

Why I was looking at the 650's was for weight reduction and loading issues. Again, you can't have everything.

So what do you guys think?

I have to say for a 900cc the Scrambler is remarkably nimble. I only have around 700 miles riding on mine but I am getting really comfortable driving it on the loose stuff. It feels just as light as my XS-650 with way more torque.
The downfall of the Scrambler is the difficulty you have everytime you stop , Someone will almost always come over and ask twenty questions about the bike or an old timer will tell you that He one just like it in '68.
MightyChosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #8625
jharrell
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jharrell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Oddometer: 120
Riding With Your Laptop

I'm leaving on the 26th to ride my Scrambler from Indianapolis, IN to Valrico, FL. (I'm taking a few days to ride it as I want to avoid interstate riding.) I want to take my MacBook laptop with me. For those who take their computer with them when they ride what do you carry it in? I use the Ventura Luggage system so room isn't a problem. I can always put it in a computer bad and toss it in the luggage. I guess what I'm really worried about is rain, heat and humidity. Thanks,
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014