Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #8701
mondokat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftingscotch
Or you could just do what I did: develop a complex where you constantly hit the blinker button even though you know that you've already turned your signals off.

I do the same thing. I test rode a bmw f800gs a few months ago and the cancel button is on the right. My left thumb kept caressing the empty space where the button should have been.
mondokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #8702
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondokat

I do the same thing. I test rode a bmw f800gs a few months ago and the cancel button is on the right. My left thumb kept caressing the empty space where the button should have been.
Ive seen an automatic turn signal cancel thingamabob for the Triumph,I had one on a R1150R and got used to it very quickly.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #8703
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Or you could just do what I did: develop a complex where you constantly hit the blinker button even though you know that you've already turned your signals off.
Same here. Its going to wear out someday and it will be my fault...

Found this today BTW, pretty cool into page:

http://www.britironrebels.com/
Old 04-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #8704
geo-k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Eek

Quote:
You know, after the second time leaving them on, I got the same obsession. That why I asked about the LED's. I hadn't really considered them necessary prior (my Honda VT500 is 26 years old, and is much brighter on original bulbs?!).

Damn this blog is LONG.............................................. ......................
I need a break! I'm on 500 after a week, and may need new glasses now.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #8705
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,783
Quote:
Got that too. The only time I really ever saw the idiot lights was in a tunnel at night.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #8706
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
At risk of sounding like I am on Brent's payroll, newbonneville.com sell a self-cancelling blinker module that has 3 timing options, 7 sec, 16 sec and 30 seconds. I have these fitted to both my Speed Triple and Scrambler switched to the 30 sec function. No more embarrasing moments when you go sailing past a oncoming Harley rider then realise you've left your blinker running... dork!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #8707
geo-k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
At risk of sounding like I am on Brent's payroll, newbonneville.com sell a self-cancelling blinker module that has 3 timing options, 7 sec, 16 sec and 30 seconds. I have these fitted to both my Speed Triple and Scrambler switched to the 30 sec function. No more embarrasing moments when you go sailing past a oncoming Harley rider then realise you've left your blinker running... dork!
Grizz, if I was selling products, I would pay you for the plugs...or at least discount some stuff for you (ahem, Brent).
Looks like a good product, but 30 seconds seems kind of long. I counted it in my head, and felt more ashamed and dorkier by the second. Maybe I'll try 7 seconds.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #8708
m4fz
Living on Island time

Oddometer: 32
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Welcome, geo-k! You may not know it now but you are especially blessed, as the Caspian blue/white colors are truly the fastest of the Scramblers!

congratulations geo-k on your scrambler purchase. you are gonna love it!
I will respctfully disagree with you Mista Vern, the Tangerine/Silver Scrambler is by far the fastest. why, when I pass too close to the tiki bars on the beach, they don't bother to turn on the blender for the margaritas!
only problem is, I can't tell if I spilled my tequila sunrise.

m4fz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #8709
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4fz
. why, when I pass too close to the tiki bars on the beach, they don't bother to turn on the blender for the margaritas!

Here we don't have tiki bars - we have raincoat and wool shirt stands.

Emily Bronte
Old 04-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #8710
m4fz
Living on Island time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern

Here we don't have tiki bars - we have raincoat and wool shirt stands.
hee hee hee,........ I mean, I'm sorry. ride to SoFlo and get warm and we can have a drink on the beach. heck, even the Hells Angels are friendly here!
changes in latitudes
changes in attitudes......
Old 04-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #8711
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
I have been reading this damn Scrambler thread forever, and I just can't figure out why this bike is so popular. Local dealer has no demo, and figures he won't have one available for a test ride this season, and I just can't get any seat time.

Like anyone of a certain age who has been riding for 3 or 4 decades, the Scrambler ticks all the boxes. On paper it makes no sense, even compared to the Bonneville, which I have ridden. I don't want it for off road, just pavement and gravel roads. The high pipe is a pain for luggage, and the horsepower is lower than the Bonneville (which is a damn fine looking scoot too).

So why, knowing all this, do I still lust for a Scrambler?

Why is this thread 8,000,000 posts long and the Bonneville threads die after 2 pages?

I feel like I gotta buy the thing just to get it out of my system, even though I know in the logic side of my brain that my V-Strom is a better bike (though lacking a soul).

Maybe I need professional help. An intervention by concerned friends and family.

What the hell is it with the Scrambler?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #8712
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 417
(Pssst...don't tell anyone...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l
I have been reading this damn Scrambler thread forever, and I just can't figure out why this bike is so popular...What the hell is it with the Scrambler?
(...it's the 270 degree crankshaft!)

The original idea for a 270 deg crank in an upright twin came from an Australian fellow named Phil Irving (co-creator of the pre-war Vincent engine design)

See http://www.sense.net/~blaine/270.htm...shaft%20timing

Cheers, M.

Magile screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 06:55 PM
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #8713
m4fz
Living on Island time

Cool2

Quote:
I have been reading this damn Scrambler thread forever, and I just can't figure out why this bike is so popular. Local dealer has no demo, and figures he won't have one available for a test ride this season, and I just can't get any seat time.

Like anyone of a certain age who has been riding for 3 or 4 decades, the Scrambler ticks all the boxes. On paper it makes no sense, even compared to the Bonneville, which I have ridden. I don't want it for off road, just pavement and gravel roads. The high pipe is a pain for luggage, and the horsepower is lower than the Bonneville (which is a damn fine looking scoot too).

Why is this thread 8,000,000 posts long and the Bonneville threads die after 2 pages?

I feel like I gotta buy the thing just to get it out of my system, even though I know in the logic side of my brain that my V-Strom is a better bike (though lacking a soul).

Maybe I need professional help. An intervention by concerned friends and family.

You answered your own question, vstrom has no soul. scrambler is soul.
now sit back, plug in your electric bass. and play along with your BB King records while you sit and stare at your new Scrambler.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #8714
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4fz
You answered your own question, vstrom has no soul. scrambler is soul.
now sit back, plug in your electric bass. and play along with your BB King records while you sit and stare at your new Scrambler.
Well put. For a modern bike, it does have soul.

Emily Bronte
Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #8715
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:

I dunno, but I couldn't get it out of my system either, so a couple months ago I finally scratched that itch and bought one. Found it on Craigslist, 07, 2500 miles, pristine condition, TOR's, 2 hours from home, $5200. I'm tickled to death with it. Long term romance, or quick fling? Who knows? So do what I did. Since you're not sure, find a good buy on a used one, and take the plunge. If it turns out to be a mistake, somebody else already took the big hit on depreciation, and you won't lose much if you sell it.

The 06 Bonnie T100 I bought used a couple years ago made more sense in some respect, but I just didn't connect with it like I have the Scrammy. I sold the Bonnie to a guy at work, so I still get to say hello to it and admire it's beauty. Which bike to buy ought to be an emotional decision, not a logical one.

One last thing. Think of all the people you'll meet, because you can't take a Scrammy anywhere without somebody coming over to ask about it.