User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #8731
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
LiFePo battery

Just received this replacement battery. Only 1.5 lbs weight and also much smaller than the standard battery (OEM is about 11 lbs or something, but don't quote me). Still cranks as much and also retains charge better than standard batteries. Only downside is its 4.6 Ah instead of 12 Ah (again don't quote me on the oem specs. I'm too lazy to go look it all up right now).

I'll now be able to stuff some tools/random stuff in the old battery space.

4.6Ah
240A Max 10 Secs discharge (same as CCA)
120A Max continuous discharge (after initial ten secs)
Size: ~ 4.5"x3"x2.25"
Weight: 1.6lbs

PS: Here's your bonus blast from the past tune for the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weQ4o...aynext_from=ML

thistle66 screwed with this post 04-23-2010 at 05:30 PM
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #8732
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
It's been a while since I've posted a good picture or two, so.....

And then there's an almost identical one posted here. Only difference being that this second one has me in it.
You really do seem to have a talent for photography.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #8733

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Just the popping. I'd go with the cheapest kit - you really can't see any of the pieces unless you are relly looking for them, and all they do is fill holes. Sure makes getting at the spark plugs easier too!
The previous owner of my bike just threaded some old spark plugs in the holes and covered the carb/manifold nipples with little rubber caps.Couldnt have cost more than $6 and is one hell of a conversation starter.

On another note: I just fitted a bunch of bits on mine like the single seat/rack combo, a second hand tach (thanks queenpdog) and a Triumph skid plate. Why would the skid plate not cover the oil filter? Now I have to make something to extend past it and cover the filter.

Anyone know if theres an off the shelf rattle can silver that comes close to matching the silver Triumph used on the silver/green combo? Dupli-color or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.

13 screwed with this post 04-23-2010 at 06:37 PM
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #8734
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
You really do seem to have a talent for photography.
Just wait for the pictures in my "Coast-to-Coast and back again" ride report to appear this summer. ~7000 multi-terrain miles. 16 grueling days. 1 mentally unstable rider on an overweight, underpowered, almost stock modern classic.

From Atlantic to Pacific and all points between. From covered bridges in Pennsylvania, to the Black Hills of South Dakota; from Death Valley, to the Outer Banks, all will be seen.

That Pelican case I posted the mock-up of earlier will be the camera case for all of my gear:

I just need someone to make the brackets for me.

The adventure will be grand, and the photos more so. (Photos will be available for purchase in limited quantities.)
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #8735
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
[QUOTE=TStorm]Just wait for the pictures in my "Coast-to-Coast and back again" ride report to appear this summer. ~7000 multi-terrain miles. 16 grueling days. 1 mentally unstable rider on an overweight, underpowered, almost stock modern classic.

From Atlantic to Pacific and all points between. From covered bridges in Pennsylvania, to the Black Hills of South Dakota; from Death Valley, to the Outer Banks, all will be seen.

Grueling is right! Unfortunately you'll be lucky to see anything at all at the pace you've set for yourself. I've done it before, and even 3 weeks feels really rushed. I would plan on more time.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #8736
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
~200/mi per day doesn't seem too bad, imo.

Can't wait to see the pics!!
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #8737
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
When you get past the Mississippi make sure you start planning your fuel stops. It gets worse as you go west. I don't know if you are going north or south but it gets a bit sparse between Arizona and California in the Mojave desert crossing.

I have made the trip across the country quite a few times by car and you are in for some amazing scenery.

Oh and start a new thread in the ride reports forum!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #8738
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

I'm aiming for about 500 mile days on average. I have a full two months of paid vacation time available, but with the place I work at being so undermanned and having an insanely chaotic schedule, I can't take more than 2 weeks off at a time. If I could've had the full 2 months, I'd do the TAT instead.

So, as much as I hate to, I'm planning for some interstate time to cut the time per mile ratio down a bit. There'll be some state highways, some 2 lane roads, and hopefully some dirt/gravel/other roads too. I plan on doing most of my sightseeing from the side of the road or the campsites (or the houses of various friends I have across the country.

It's not going to be the best trip, but it'll be the best I can make it. Besides, I drove from OKC to Charlotte in a single sitting on a regular basis last year. Had it been on a bike, I'd have qualified for the SaddleSore 1000. I know it's different between a car and a bike, but if I can drive for 17 hours straight to do 1100 miles, I think I can do half that on a bike. Right??
Old 04-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #8739
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
When you get past the Mississippi make sure you start planning your fuel stops. It gets worse as you go west. I don't know if you are going north or south but it gets a bit sparse between Arizona and California in the Mojave desert crossing.

I have made the trip across the country quite a few times by car and you are in for some amazing scenery.

Oh and start a new thread in the ride reports forum!
I haven't quite figured out where all I'm going yet. I do know I want the bike to touch ocean on both coast (but I may cut that to make the days more reasonable. Won't know til I'm on the road) and I know I have friends who'll feed and shelter me in PA, WI, AZ, OK, and SC, so I'm passing through those states to see them and get free food. It'll be pretty much a counter-clockwise loop around the country. Everything else is kinda unknown yet. I'm thinking about going through Sturgis, even though I'll be there a full month before the rally, and I don't know where to ride on the beach at on the Pacific.

For fuel, I'm putting that spare 5L gerrycan on the bike, which will up the range to about 200-ish + whatever's after reserve light. (All ranges guestimated on current riding trends.)

And yes, there'll be a new RR thread starting about a week before I head out, which won't be til mid-July. (Yes, I'm going to Death Valley in the middle of July. No, I'm not crazy, I'm just not entirely sane.)
Old 04-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #8740
kellis
Fair Weather Rider

Oddometer: 95
Quote:

And then there's an almost identical one posted here. Only difference being that this second one has me in it.
Wow, somone on the thread without Grey Hair !

History:- K1200RS, XT600E, R100/7, FZR1000RU, GSX750F, XV535 (sorry), BSA A65L, XT500E, CB200.
kellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #8741
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellis
Wow, somone on the thread without Grey Hair !
Hey!!!

I have only just started to go grey...!

(Nice pics)
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #8742
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Finally on gravel road

Wifi and I hit the gravel roads today :-) We decided to park
Wifi's Bonnie and use the scramb further into the forest. Here are some
pictures from our day out.

A lot of directions :-)

The winter still put up some resistance...

Picked up..

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #8743
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
~200/mi per day doesn't seem too bad, imo.

Can't wait to see the pics!!
200 miles per day is a very relaxed pace but I think he is planning closer to 500 per day. From my experiences with two wheel touring, once the mileage goes over 350 per day, I find I am missing out on too many of the sights I came to see. I can carve corners all day long, but I also like to stop and smell the roses when I tour.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #8744
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:

There is something about the Scrambler in khaki green that is calling my name.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #8745
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflhx
I got my Alaska Leather Sheepskin about four years ago with two elastic straps so I can change it back and forth between my `06 Scrambled and my other bike. GREAT pad and SUPERB service!
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote