Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #8761
Skidplate865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Im looking forward to the report on the 1000 miler on the Scrambler,Triumph might even be interested in that one. Ive always toured on what ever bike I have at the time. I rode my DR650 back from Death Valley last year only stopping for a quick burger and gas,640 miles and I was still pretty comfortable on the bike. The Scrambler should do fine for a long ride.
I rode to Anchorage and back in 03 on a R1150R,we did an average of 530 miles a day getting there and almost that many a day riding home in a 7 day pouring rain storm that followed us for laughs.
It was kind of a blur but still a memorable trip.
I've done a 6,000 and a 7,000 mile road trip on my '06 Scram. Camping all the way - bike was great. I've sorted out my suspension and I use a gel seat. Hanguards and heated gear help alot... The trip reports are on triumph rat dot net - I use the same screen name - Skidplate865.
Skidplate865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #8762
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Im looking forward to the report on the 1000 miler on the Scrambler,Triumph might even be interested in that one. Ive always toured on what ever bike I have at the time. I rode my DR650 back from Death Valley last year only stopping for a quick burger and gas,640 miles and I was still pretty comfortable on the bike. The Scrambler should do fine for a long ride.
I rode to Anchorage and back in 03 on a R1150R,we did an average of 530 miles a day getting there and almost that many a day riding home in a 7 day pouring rain storm that followed us for laughs.
It was kind of a blur but still a memorable trip.
I've seen a few reports of long trips on Scrams. Skidplate & blacktiger. And some guy who went from Barcelona to London, via Burkina Faso! And these guys took 'em through Europe & Asia and back http://xaviillas.blogspot.com/

thistle66 screwed with this post 04-25-2010 at 11:00 AM
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #8763
kellis
Fair Weather Rider

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D
I have both the original seat and the solo seat. I dont think the solo seat is more comfortable the the original. It feels a little firmer. I'll probably end up trading the solo seat for a gel seat.

Interesting bike, RCS. I bet its pretty loud with that exhaust. Is that a Supertrapp Muffler?
I've had this seat on from the latest Bonnie since Christmas, got it as new off ebay for 70 quid (bargain) last year. It's no more padded than the original, but it's narrower, so the edges of the 'ironong board' don't cut into the back of you legs. I also think it's late sixties, early seventies style works better.

History:- K1200RS, XT600E, R100/7, FZR1000RU, GSX750F, XV535 (sorry), BSA A65L, XT500E, CB200.
kellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #8764
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Triumph might even be interested in that one
I didn't think anyone at Triumph read anything on this forum. Otherwise wouldn't they have taken the advice from an almost 600 page thread on one of their bikes and redesigned the bash plate or engine guards at least? A redesign of the suspension would raise the price too much I understand, but if they've seen half the things people here have posted that their bike can do (i.e. DangerDave and Rhodie) they're missing out on good advertising.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #8765
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
I got around to trying the sheepskin seat pad and I like it. Wearing leathers it's a bit more slippy but no bad thing as it's easier to move your weight around on the bike. It's attached using the 2 screws at the rear of the single seat (passing through 2 holes punched in the cover), and the front is a simple bungee and hook arangement threaded under the rear of the tank. Looks a bit wierd but who cares.

ChrisLX200 screwed with this post 04-25-2010 at 12:13 PM
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #8766
jharrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Seat

Quote:
I have both the original seat and the solo seat. I dont think the solo seat is more comfortable the the original. It feels a little firmer. I'll probably end up trading the solo seat for a gel seat.

Interesting bike, RCS. I bet its pretty loud with that exhaust. Is that a Supertrapp Muffler?
I have the gel seat. It is an improvement on the stock seat. I've never tried the solo so I can't give an opinion on it.

I'm leaving tomorrow on a ride from Indianapolis, IN to Tampa, FL
then back again in around 10 days. It's a bit over 1000 miles one way so I should have some feedback on the gel's merits over long distance.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #8767
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 306
Does anyone know if the Corbin seats for the Bonnies will fit the Scrambler? The pipes wouldn't get in the way would they?
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #8768

Oddometer: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar
The pipes wouldn't get in the way would they?
Cant see why they would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #8769
R.C.S.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:

thanx furious d. yes, it is a suppertrapp. i ordered the muffler from parts unlimited. i would say it is more quiet than the triumph acc. slip-on mufflers.
R.C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #8770
R.C.S.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
I Like the red Scrambler above,that 2 into 1 looks like a simple light sort of exhaust set up. The solo seat works fine for me so far,havent tried the stocker yet that came with the bike also. I use a sheepskin butt pad on all my bike seats. Those stock shocks are torture devices though.
They are the perfect combo of no rebound damping,mushy too soft springs and too much high speed comp damping.
I put some custom made Works Performance shocks on mine and its a giant step up in comfort/handling.
thanx foot dragger. i have been thinkin about replacing the rears but thought maybe i just needed to loose a few pounds myself.
R.C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #8771
Round-I-Go
I won the Pullet Surprise

Oddometer: 499
R.C.S.... VERY cool treatment! How about a rundown of the mods you've done and ESPECIALLY the pipe... gotta hear about that pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C.S.
howdy all, i have been lurking around here for a couple of weeks and thought it about time to speak up. i have a '06 Scram that i bout new in july of that year, got a little over 12k on the clock. and i am still loving it. i did try putting street tires on it for awhile but in doing so the bike lost its soul. but as of last week all is well, and its back to its roots.

"Road?...Where we're going, we don't neeeed roads." - Doc Brown

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Sir Richard Branson

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

Round-I-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #8772
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round-I-Go
R.C.S.... VERY cool treatment! How about a rundown of the mods you've done and ESPECIALLY the pipe... gotta hear about that pipe!

The dude is just keepin his life color coordinated as you can see from the rest of his shop...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:58 AM   #8773
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,808
I got my new bike last week and am really enjoying it. I can't figure out what the little plastic ridged knob under the left faux carb is. Anyone?

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #8774

Oddometer: 5,227
Idle adjustment on carbed bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #8775
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
I got my new bike last week and am really enjoying it. I can't figure out what the little plastic ridged knob under the left faux carb is. Anyone?

I believe its called a fast idle lever. It adds a bit of throttle for cold starting. I don't quite understand why its needed with fuel injection.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote