Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #8851
geo-k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Rode to work today. 30 miles each way, 24 of it over Causeway Bridge outside New Orleans. 65 MPH with 20-30 mph gusting headwinds. Brutal. Thought ride back would be tailwinds, but it shifted to ESE. Not as bad as ride there, but hairy. Smelled oil spill coming off of the Gulf the whole way.

Hope it doesn't rain too much Sunday (or at all). I planned on taking the bike to Jazz Fest, and maybe saving the $20 I pay to park every year.

Alright, time for beer # deuce!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #8852
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena
I've got one too, ala maxflhx. Mine is holding an ammo can. I'm thinking of ordering another quick mount bracket and a Pelican 1550 so I have the option of ammo can or Pelican when I need more space. It will handle the weight of the Pelican just fine.

Wish my tank were silver / tangerine. I got the silver / roulette green. It's OK, but like the orange better.
I looked at the luggage rack that holds the quick mount plate,looks like pretty thin tubing to hang a fully loaded 1550 pelican box off of.
It seems solid enough?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #8853
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
I looked at the luggage rack that holds the quick mount plate,looks like pretty thin tubing to hang a fully loaded 1550 pelican box off of.
It seems solid enough?
Well, my first impression when I got it was "WAY too flimsy". I reported on it in an earlier post. (You mean you can't remember all 8000+ posts? ) I took it over to a fabrication shop we do business with at work, and they thought it would be adequate, since the stress imposed would be largely vertical. Also told me if it broke they would fix it and reinforce it as a favor. That's when my original plan was for a 20mm cannon ammo can (20 pounds). I called M C Resources, and they said they had strengthened the bracket, it would work, and they would give a free replacement if it broke. Anyway, if I recall, the ammo can I did mount weighed 12 pounds on my scale. I was thinking the Pelican 1550 was around 10. Again, from memory. But the Pelican will hold a lot more, for sure, and that would be a factor. I've had it on for a few weeks now, and no issues. Have hit some deep potholes (this is Illinois), and some rough RR tracks. No off road. My uneducated opinion is it would not stand up to off road use. But so far it's working fine. I'm satisfied with it. I've got Jesse bags on my GS - the ones with the original bar stock mounting brackets - and yeah, I'd love to have something that robust, but the choices just aren't out there for the Scrambler. Plus, my Jesses were $1150 5 years ago, and I've got around $125 total in this set up. The ammo can looks cool on the Scrammy. I'm mainly contemplating the Pelican as a second option to carry my laptop to work.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #8854
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D
Anyone have this?
http://mcresourcesusa.com/product5.html

I wonder if it would handle the weight of a medium size pelican case like the 1550?

I am going to buy one of the luggage brackets for use with my soft cases but it would be nice to be able to have a hard case that I could unlock and take with me.
I went with the MSPanniers DIY bracket (1/2" steel tubing) and they have a mounting bracket that they specifically mention Pelican cases for. Or, you could just drill 2 holes in the back of the case, and bolt it onto the bracket like I intend to do with my Pelican 1500. I should have pictures this weekend.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #8855
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,882
Have you guys thought of touring light?
It just seems such overkill. I see some packing like they're doing a RTW ride, and they are doing a weekender.

I will be fully loaded with about the weight you guys are at empty.

Its like going backpacking with suitcases.

Not an attack! Just a thought as how over geared and over weight the Triumph gets with no suspesion to start with...

My .02

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #8856
Indiana_Jones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Just day dreaming here at work, has anyone ever thought or have put on Fishtail exhaust tips on their Scrams?

Indiana_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #8857
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Well, my first impression when I got it was "WAY too flimsy". I reported on it in an earlier post. (You mean you can't remember all 8000+ posts? ) I took it over to a fabrication shop we do business with at work, and they thought it would be adequate, since the stress imposed would be largely vertical. Also told me if it broke they would fix it and reinforce it as a favor. That's when my original plan was for a 20mm cannon ammo can (20 pounds). I called M C Resources, and they said they had strengthened the bracket, it would work, and they would give a free replacement if it broke. Anyway, if I recall, the ammo can I did mount weighed 12 pounds on my scale. I was thinking the Pelican 1550 was around 10. Again, from memory. But the Pelican will hold a lot more, for sure, and that would be a factor. I've had it on for a few weeks now, and no issues. Have hit some deep potholes (this is Illinois), and some rough RR tracks. No off road. My uneducated opinion is it would not stand up to off road use. But so far it's working fine. I'm satisfied with it. I've got Jesse bags on my GS - the ones with the original bar stock mounting brackets - and yeah, I'd love to have something that robust, but the choices just aren't out there for the Scrambler. Plus, my Jesses were $1150 5 years ago, and I've got around $125 total in this set up. The ammo can looks cool on the Scrammy. I'm mainly contemplating the Pelican as a second option to carry my laptop to work.
Thanks for the info,the 1550's are a nice cheap do it all sort of box. Id like to mount one on either side of the Scrambler but be able to get the racks off fairly easy. I use the SW-MOTECH quick release luggage mounts on my DR,they seem to hold up pretty well. I did have one quick release go south on a rough road. I substituted a bolt/nut and used a Rok-Strap on each box the rest of the trip. Rok-Straps are good!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #8858
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
Have you guys thought of touring light?
It just seems such overkill. I see some packing like they're doing a RTW ride, and they are doing a weekender.

I will be fully loaded with about the weight you guys are at empty.

Its like going backpacking with suitcases.

Not an attack! Just a thought as how over geared and over weight the Triumph gets with no suspesion to start with...

My .02

Light IS good,I can get enough stuff to camp and live for 2 weeks on the road using just my medium Moto-Fizz and a tank bag.
Takes some careful picking of small light gear and saying no to useless crap. Washing socks and underwear as you go rather then carrying many duplicates of that kind of thing. Take a credit card and just go,there are stores everywhere anyways. Bikes handle better and are happier when not all buried under stuff.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #8859
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones
Just day dreaming here at work, has anyone ever thought or have put on Fishtail exhaust tips on their Scrams?

Haven't thought about it, but now that you mention it and post a pic for a bo-peep....I would have to say IMHO - Not in this life time sunshine!
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #8860
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Wish my tank were silver / tangerine. I got the silver / roulette green. It's OK, but like the orange better.
Hey, Maybe We should swap tanks

I went ahead and ordered the MC Resources setup with the quick disconnect bracket. I will probably just use the luggage bracket and fab something up for the exhaust side to use my soft bags for now.

I'll take some pics when I get it setup. I did send an email to MC Resources and got a response back in about an hour. I'm impressed, I didnt know good customer service existed anymore. Here is what Dan at MC Resources has to say when I inquired about the weight limit:

" We don't state a maximum weight because there are too many variables to consider, i.e., how high it is mounted, the physical size of the case, the mounting to the bracket, etc. If a very large case is mounted at one end, a cantilever effect would be created at the other and that would place additional stress on the bracket, so it's hard to determine a recommended maximum by weight alone.

If it helps, one rider mounted a 15 lb. case (a metal 40mm ammo-can) and hasn't reported any problems. One consideration is that heavy cases like these can add unnecessary weight and, if you mount it higher than the center of gravity, could affect handling. A full heavy case will have considerable weight and, in the case of a Scrambler, all on one side of the frame. I'll attach a couple of photos of a 25mm ammo-can mount --it's closer in weight to your case.

It is best to mount any bag/case near its center and, while this isn't possible in all cases, getting close helps. If a spacer plate is needed to clear the shock absorber, look at our instruction page ( http://www.mcresourcesusa.com/info1c.html ) for spacer ideas. Since most hard cases are not slanted, a 1/2" spacer plate usually solves the problem of shock contact."
MightyChosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #8861
zane121
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Arrow exhaust on and remaped today. I tell you this made such a difference. First the comfort level is night and day now. The stock exhaust caused my leg to bend outward in a painful fashion. The new exhaust hugs the cycle and I can get my knees on the tank. Loosing about 10 pounds from stock v/s this exhaust was a nice benefit too. The sound with the baffle in is great. Take the baffle out it sounds like any straight pipe twin. The power increase feels good..it could just be the noise causing me to twist the throttle a bit more..lol..
Over all very happy that I moved from the KLR to this. Night and day with build quality and hey no more oil usage!
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2010, 01:37 AM   #8862
Old_Eric
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Boxes

Here are finally some photos of my travel box project. Now the boxes are ready.
Old_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #8863
Peter V
n00b

Oddometer: 1
new member here, considering a tank swap

Hi.
I just joined this thread and the forum.
A few weeks ago, I bought a new 2009 khaki green EFI Scrambler, and while I quite like the color, I am thinking about trying to swap the tank/fenders etc for a red/white color scheme. This is what I really wanted in the first place, but I think they didn't offer that color combo past 2008.

So, I was wondering if there was anyone out there interested in a swap of tank/fenders/covers? My 2009 has the efi tank.

Another question. Has anyone here successfully swapped their efi scrambler tank badge for a "classic" badge, the one available through Triumph. There have been many threads about this on the Triumph Rat forum.

Thanks and looking forward to some good conversations in the forum.

Peter
Peter V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #8864
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V
Hi.
A few weeks ago, I bought a new 2009 khaki green EFI Scrambler, and while I quite like the color, I am thinking about trying to swap the tank/fenders etc for a red/white color scheme. This is what I really wanted in the first place, but I think they didn't offer that color combo past 2008.

So, I was wondering if there was anyone out there interested in a swap of tank/fenders/covers? My 2009 has the efi tank.

Another question. Has anyone here successfully swapped their efi scrambler tank badge for a "classic" badge, the one available through Triumph. There have been many threads about this on the Triumph Rat forum.

Peter
Unfortunately a pre EFI tank won't work on your bike. The EFI tank is larger to accommodate the fuel pump.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #8865
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V
Hi.

Peter
1st Post! Good to hear from you,Ive got the green/silver 07 Scrambler. Green has never been my favorite color but Im used to it now,Id have the green painted over in red given my druthers. The shocks have been the best upgrade so far on mine,not cheap but a huge difference in comfort and handling. Works Performance did a bang up job valving and springing these shocks. Today the windscreen goes on.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 12-16-2010 at 08:51 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote