Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #8926
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by technikiller
Hey all, I bought a 2008 Scramber with just 1700 miles on the clock. I noticed some oil on the skid plate after I purchased it, so I torqued the drain plug to recommended spec. I just changed the oil the other day, replaced the crush washer and once again torqued to specs – I'm still getting some oil leakage from the drain plug/oil cooler line area. Anybody have this problem? Any suggestions? is the recommended torque spec not adequate?
Here are some pics of the problem:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jodie's Bonneville was doing that as well. Slow drip from the oil line. I checked the line and it was tight, but drip continued, so I removed the line and re-annealed the washer, and it's been drip free ever since.

the best way to fix it is to remove the two copper washers, one on each side of the "banjo" fitting, and anneal them, that is heat them up cherry-red with a propane torch and drop them into a dish of cool water. They will turn a kind of pinkish color and some scale may flake off the surface, this softens them up so they can make a good seal.

Or just replace the crush washer. I tried that and ordered what I thought was the proper washer from the dealer, but they handed me a tiny washer about 1/3 the size I needed, so that's why i just re-used the old one.

bross screwed with this post 05-03-2010 at 08:53 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #8927
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
So who spotted the rozzers parked up on the right at 2m36secs?

And Chris, you're wearing my Jacket.
er. The car in front - saw his brake lights as I was preparing to take him before the bend. Should have known better as that is a favourite place for the cops to sit. You notice the 2million quids worth of brand new Average Speed Cams? What a crock! Once you get past the first one you're free to do whatever so long as you pull in to the 'pitstop' (Cat 'n Fiddle pub) before carrying on. What a waste of money. They were also supposed to save on policing costs but they're still all over the place earning overtime.

Glad to see you have such good taste in jackets
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #8928
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Jodie's Bonneville was doing that as well. Slow drip from the oil line. I checked the line and it was tight, but drip continued, so I removed the line and re-annealed the washer, and it's been drip free ever since.

the best way to fix it is to remove the two copper washers, one on each side of the "banjo" fitting, and anneal them, that is heat them up cherry-red with a propane torch and drop them into a dish of cool water. They will turn a kind of pinkish color and some scale may flake off the surface, this softens them up so they can make a good seal.

Or just replace the crush washer. I tried that and ordered what I thought was the proper washer from the dealer, but they handed me a tiny washer about 1/3 the size I needed, so that's why i just re-used the old one.
Be real careful not to over-tighten though. I sincerely hope the sump on the Scram is better made than that on the Tiger1050, a few have cracked their sump by adding an extra 'tweak' because it's a weak casting. One owner got it welded up, another just replaced it at considerable cost. I like the anealing idea but it shouldn't be necessary with a new washer - maybe you got some grit in the (drain bolt) joint preventing it sealing?
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #8929
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLX200
You notice the 2million quids worth of brand new Average Speed Cams? What a crock! Once you get past the first one you're free to do whatever so long as you pull in to the 'pitstop' (Cat 'n Fiddle pub) before carrying on. What a waste of money. They were also supposed to save on policing costs but they're still all over the place earning overtime.

Glad to see you have such good taste in jackets
I read in MCN that there's a circuit that excludes the cameras completely.
Also that there's a short cut that has a 60mph limit which is shorter than the 50mph route. So, if you take the short cut you can get to the next camera early and trigger it without breaking the law. Bloody fiddle if you ask me.

Good jackets aren't they? I bought mine in the sale at the beginning of this year. Can't go wrong at 140.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #8930
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,239
ChrisLX200, That is some pretty cool video, How does the cam stay so steady? I'm impressed by the quality for the price of the cam. If it had the option to mount a remote mic near the exhaust it would really add to the experience.

Do you guys know your driving on the wrong side of the road?
MightyChosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #8931
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,186
Quote:
Ah, good old old-school metallurgy! FYI: air cooling gives the softest results while quick drenching (as above) makes the washers harder, but not as hard as pre-annealing.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #8932
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D
Do you guys know your driving on the wrong side of the road?
No we're driving on the correct side that's why, when you park the bike on the side stand, it leans towards the curb over here. Ever wondered why that is? Even Harleys, Ducatis and BMWs (made in right hand drive countries) have their side stand on the left because they know it's safer to dismount on the curb side. You know?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #8933
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLX200
Be real careful not to over-tighten though. I sincerely hope the sump on the Scram is better made than that on the Tiger1050, a few have cracked their sump by adding an extra 'tweak' because it's a weak casting. One owner got it welded up, another just replaced it at considerable cost. I like the anealing idea but it shouldn't be necessary with a new washer - maybe you got some grit in the (drain bolt) joint preventing it sealing?
I'm old school and go by feel and can't remember the last time I ever stripped something so no worries, just checked it to make sure it wasn't just loose. I agree about the washer, I'm thinking that they must have got a bad batch of washers from the number of riders with leaks at the hose connections. The annealing worked fine on Jodie's and no leaks in two years.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #8934
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Ah, good old old-school metallurgy! FYI: air cooling gives the softest results while quick drenching (as above) makes the washers harder, but not as hard as pre-annealing.
You sounded correct to me Vern but I checked anyways and it turns out copper is different, from wikipedia:

"In the cases of copper, steel, silver, and brass this process is performed by substantially heating the material (generally until glowing) for a while and allowing it to cool. Unlike ferrous metals--which must be cooled slowly to anneal--copper, silver[1] and brass can be cooled slowly in air or quickly by quenching in water. In this fashion the metal is softened and prepared for further work such as shaping, stamping, or forming."

You are both right.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #8935
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,186
Good info, Krahe - thanks!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #8936
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Oil cooler line leak...

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
Do any of you fellas happen to know if pulling that line will drain the whole pan, or is there a pump or check-valve right inside there?

(Trying to decide whether to try and fix it now, or wait until my next oil change)

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #8937
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by technikiller
Thanks for the info!
Do any of you fellas happen to know if pulling that line will drain the whole pan, or is there a pump or check-valve right inside there?

(Trying to decide whether to try and fix it now, or wait until my next oil change)

Thanks.
I think I just pulled it.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #8938
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
TORs are louder. The difference in the UK is that the Arrow is road legal, the TORs are not. I don't know the actual difference in DBa.
Cheers

Basically all I wanted to know is which system was louder, but if anyone else has anything to throw in I'd love to hear it.
Gormley Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #8939
TheNaker
El Vagabondo

Oddometer: 90
I'm looking to pick up a carbbed Scrambler. Is there anywhere I can find out if there are any differences in the 2006-2008 model year? I think I read somewhere that the hubs may have changed.

Thanks for any input.

Sean
Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #8940
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Just came home from work, and there were two boxes in front of my door. Lugged them inside, took off my uniform, and cut open the cardboard to find the parts I had ordered for the bike!

I now have a nice windscreen to make long distances or highways more comfortable, and 2 large 20mm ammo cans for use as saddlebags. Those cans are massive, and heavy, but will look oh so good on the matte green scram when mounted next to my army gerry can.

Too bad I don't have a bike at the moment to do a mock-up with.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote