Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #8941
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Im assuming your kidding but if not......

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlemeier
After getting back on a saddle after 12 years I had to choose a helmet. I went for an open one, because.....

1. it just feels right. The incoming air lets me breathe freely. If I wanted to be secure, I'd drive a car, which I don't. A motorcycle is dangerous. Period. -
2. A closed helmet fogs my glasses. All the time. No matter what I do. - I have plenty of friends that wear glasses w/ full faced helmets
3. Although they are small, my glasses wouldn't fit inside this pidgeonhole. -
4. I drive faster and more careless with a closed helmet. -
5. Being close to fifty I'm not that handsome anymore...B-)... a few scratches wouldn't matter much. -
6. The fabulous and greatly admired Steve didn't wear a closed one either. -
7. I have two vizors in my helmet - enough protection, I think. -

and it matches my scrambler: http://www.uvex-sports.de/index.php?...pModel=jet+160

Damn good lookin' bike though
Old 05-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #8942
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
It's been a while since I've posted a good picture or two, so.....

And then there's an almost identical one posted here. Only difference being that this second one has me in it.

Screen Saver!!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #8943
Skidplate865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaker
I'm looking to pick up a carbbed Scrambler. Is there anywhere I can find out if there are any differences in the 2006-2008 model year? I think I read somewhere that the hubs may have changed.

Thanks for any input.

Sean
Sean,
Triumph started using the straight-pull spoke design on the rear hub towards the end of 2008. Since they started rolling out the EFI bikes soon after/around the same time, you may be looking at a short list.

I'm on an '06 and I had a rear spoke break around 32,000 miles (going 80mph) and didn't feel a thing. It's not the end of the world. I had the rear hub replaced under warranty and have more confidence in this later hub design. The front hub warped the rotors every 8-12,000 miles, so I had that front hub replaced under warranty as well. The hubs have been the only soar spot for me so far...

Best of luck,
Kevin
Skidplate865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #8944
BiganDaft
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Faulty Spoke

Just had a very intersting/scary incedent. last night I was moving my bike into the garage and heard a pop followed by hissing... Damn, must have run over a nail ar something, but on closer inspection, what had happened is that a spoke had broken on the front wheel, and pierced the tube!
Thank goodness this happened as I was slowly going into the garage and not at 140Kmph on my ride over the week-end!!!
I'm going to talking to my dealer about this, as this can be a huge safety issue.
BiganDaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #8945
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiganDaft
Just had a very intersting/scary incedent. last night I was moving my bike into the garage and heard a pop followed by hissing... Damn, must have run over a nail ar something, but on closer inspection, what had happened is that a spoke had broken on the front wheel, and pierced the tube!
Thank goodness this happened as I was slowly going into the garage and not at 140Kmph on my ride over the week-end!!!
I'm going to talking to my dealer about this, as this can be a huge safety issue.
My understanding is that it is usually the rear wheel that has problems.
What year is the bike & how many K's ??.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason for which bikes break spokes & which don't. I've never broken one & believe me, I have tried. Other Bonnie riders break them without even looking at a dirt road. Luck of the draw I guess.
trustme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #8946
BiganDaft
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
My understanding is that it is usually the rear wheel that has problems.
What year is the bike & how many K's ??.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason for which bikes break spokes & which don't. I've never broken one & believe me, I have tried. Other Bonnie riders break them without even looking at a dirt road. Luck of the draw I guess.
I've had a spoke break on the rear wheel at about 6 000kms and it was replaced at the dealer. the bike is a 2006, with just under 25 000kms on. i have done quite a bit of dirt roads and so on but nothing that I would think been hectic.

I have dropped off some photos at the dealer, and they are going to talk to the factory.

I'm not concerned about the cost of replacement as I have ordered some rims from Buchanan wheels and they should be arriving here soon, I'm more worried about having a sudden flat on the front.

What I used to do in the good ole' days is cable tie the spokes together where they cross so that if you broke a spoke it stayed in place and you didn't have a piece of metal flapping around. Think I'll do this when I get the new rims laced up.
BiganDaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #8947
TheNaker
El Vagabondo

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidplate865
Sean,
Triumph started using the straight-pull spoke design on the rear hub towards the end of 2008. Since they started rolling out the EFI bikes soon after/around the same time, you may be looking at a short list.

I'm on an '06 and I had a rear spoke break around 32,000 miles (going 80mph) and didn't feel a thing. It's not the end of the world. I had the rear hub replaced under warranty and have more confidence in this later hub design. The front hub warped the rotors every 8-12,000 miles, so I had that front hub replaced under warranty as well. The hubs have been the only soar spot for me so far...

Best of luck,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin. Doesn't sound like a show-stopper. Do you know if the front hub of an '06 will be replaced on demand from the dealer or do you have to have a recurring problem?

Also, any other known differences between the model years?

Sean
Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #8948
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidplate865
Sean,

I'm on an '06 and I had a rear spoke break around 32,000 miles (going 80mph) and didn't feel a thing. It's not the end of the world. I had the rear hub replaced under warranty and have more confidence in this later hub design. The front hub warped the rotors every 8-12,000 miles, so I had that front hub replaced under warranty as well. The hubs have been the only sore spot for me so far...

Best of luck,
Kevin
So Triumph replaced spokes and hub or just a whole new wheel?
How long is the warranty on these things? Im guessing paying to respoke and rehub a wheel would be a shocking expense.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #8949
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiganDaft
I'm not concerned about the cost of replacement as I have ordered some rims from Buchanan wheels and they should be arriving here soon, I'm more worried about having a sudden flat on the front.
I am interested to hear more about your choice of rims and what made you decide to get them. I was really surprised how heavy the stockers are, and it seems to me that lightening the unsprung weight has got to be helpful all around.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #8950
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,239
The UPS man was good to me today. My MC Resources luggage racks and Triumph number plate showed up today. Only took about an half hour to install both. Cant say enough good things about the purchase, Good instructions, Fast shipping and a response to a e-mail in less than a hour.

I still need to do a little fabricating to get my soft bags to work. The quick release bracket seems pretty sturdy, I didnt notice it bouncing on a 30 mile test ride .I need to come up with a good number for the plate and I'm done farkeling for a while.

MightyChosen1 screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 09:28 AM
MightyChosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #8951
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,882
Gearing Up

I installed my 19t countershaft sprocket (up from 18t stock) yesterday.
I am going on a Mystery tour next week, knowing nothing other than I'll be gone for five days. High speeds on roads with faster bikes than the Scrambler.
Looking for lower r's at higher speeds, like a six speed would give.

My opinion on one tooth up is as I thought. Much more relaxed rpm's from 60 mph on up.
Softer power through the gears. Too tall for city use IMO.
First is tall but helps with pulling out in traffic - no immediate shift to 2nd needed.
But the tall 1st would also be bad off pavement as 1st doesn't chug at low mph as well.
Its all a trade off!
I'll go back to the stock c/s when I return.

Just putting my thoughts out there as I know some of us are searching for that 6th gear! YMMV
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #8952
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44
Does anyone know where to get paint to match the matte green paint on the Scrambler?
Triumph doesn't have it and Color Rite does not list it as available.?????

Check out this link, nothing but Triumph paint codes: http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/2046.aspx

It should be the "Khaki" color listed, since that code doesn't match any of the prior year colors listed here.

Mastodon screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 11:29 AM
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #8953
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D

Nice looking KT250 in the background!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #8954
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
No we're driving on the correct side that's why, when you park the bike on the side stand, it leans towards the curb over here. Ever wondered why that is? Even Harleys, Ducatis and BMWs (made in right hand drive countries) have their side stand on the left because they know it's safer to dismount on the curb side. You know?
you tell'em blacktigger. Fekin septics think they own the place (ooops they do )............
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #8955
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
No we're driving on the correct side that's why, when you park the bike on the side stand, it leans towards the curb over here. Ever wondered why that is? Even Harleys, Ducatis and BMWs (made in right hand drive countries) have their side stand on the left because they know it's safer to dismount on the curb side. You know?

OK, I'm sorry. I dont want to start a war with the Brits, Everyone knows what happened last time We did that.

RideAbout, Thats the bike I refer to as ridenbrake, Every time I ride it I break something or hurt myself. I am considering retiring it and finding a machine a little easier to maintain.