Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #8956
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,968
Possibly the most blacked out bike i've ever seen.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...723246530.html

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #8957
Skidplate865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
So Triumph replaced spokes and hub or just a whole new wheel?
How long is the warranty on these things? Im guessing paying to respoke and rehub a wheel would be a shocking expense.
The dealer installed two whole new wheels. The warranty is the same as every other Triumph warranty - two years, unlimited miles. I put 27,000 miles on this one the first year...I ride alot!

I bought my '06 as a leftover in the fall of '08. I searched for a new '06 when my original R&W '06 Scram and I got knocked over by a van in midtown. I found this one sitting on a showroom floor in Jersey.

As far as the spoke breaking problem - I did alot of research. It is most commonly reported on the rear wheel - left hand, outer spoke. That's where mine snapped. Turns out that the design looks really cool, but may put an unequal amount of load on half of the spokes. It's not from bumps or pot holes - it's from the transfer of torque from the hub to the outer rim, and it's on the left side (brake disc side).

I've heard of a few front spokes snapping. Maybe from the force transferred from the braking? I don't know any real facts, just rumors and common sense guesses.

Skidplate865 screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 02:04 PM
Skidplate865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #8958
Skidplate865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaker
Thanks Kevin. Doesn't sound like a show-stopper. Do you know if the front hub of an '06 will be replaced on demand from the dealer or do you have to have a recurring problem?

Also, any other known differences between the model years?

Sean
I have no idea?! I don't think anything is too easy when it comes to warranty stuff. The front was a hassle for me - they wanted to keep replacing the brake disc, and they kept warping as soon as they hit 8,000 to 12,000 miles. Finally, they ordered a new front wheel hub (whole wheel). The process took a year! Probably would have been easier to buy a floating disk and be finished with it.

The rear was a little easier. I broke the spoke, the dealer told me that spokes where probably not covered, I took pics and the dealer sent them into triumph. My rim had been damaged as well as the hub when the spoke snapped at high speed. I guess Triumph has made a decision for this kind of spoke breakage, because they just sent the new wheel pronto.

The other differences between the '06 to '08 Scram's are cosmetic. Colors changed.

It's pretty lame, but when I bought my first Scrambler in the fall of 2007, they had two in the showroom. An '07 with a red & white tank and black engine and an '06 leftover with the silver engine and a blue and white tank. I had them take the red and white tank from the '07 and put it on the '06. I just didn't like the black engine. I got 11,000 miles out of that bike in just under a year before it got totalled in a traffic collision.

The '06 is the first and only Scram with a silver engine. I picked '06 because of the engine color. Seems silly to say it now, but that's why I picked it.

Whatever the reason, buy what speaks to you.
Skidplate865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #8959
m4fz
Living on Island time

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
Im assuming your kidding but if not......

Damn good lookin' bike though
Wow!!! what happened to the right to choose?
The right to live your own life without interference?
this Cat is making decisions based on what he feels and wants,
leave old Fritz alone, he is his own Man.
he is not judging you people for your choices.
I'm glad I live in a place where I can still make a choice based on
what I want and not what someone else thinks is right for me.
the world is a dangerous place for thin skinned vertabrates and if you think
that helmet or that glove is really going to protect you from all the
environmental things that can kill you while your riding your bike
you truly are kidding yourself. in my life I've seen impalements and necks broken on people with all the " right riding gear on " sure it helps from the abrasions and craked craniums, but talk to a few E.R. room doctors and they will straighten you out about all the things that can kill you when you hit them, riding fast or slow. bottom line, live and let live. life is not easy, cheap, or safe. quit riding that guy's a## in front of you, and instead, invite him to sit down at the bar and have a drink. you will both feel better.
VIVA Freedom!!
m4fz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #8960
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...723246530.html

Whoa ! I would have thought that would look good. But it doesn't, to me. Not at all.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #8961
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena
Whoa ! I would have thought that would look good. But it doesn't, to me. Not at all.
Same for me,looks like a kid went crazy with a rattle can. Harley builds em like that stock pretty much.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #8962
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,077
Someone likes farkling better than riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidplate865
The dealer installed two whole new wheels. The warranty is the same as every other Triumph warranty - two years, unlimited miles. I put 27,000 miles on this one the first year...I ride alot!

I bought my '06 as a leftover in the fall of '08. I searched for a new '06 when my original R&W '06 Scram and I got knocked over by a van in midtown. I found this one sitting on a showroom floor in Jersey.

As far as the spoke breaking problem - I did alot of research. It is most commonly reported on the rear wheel - left hand, outer spoke. That's where mine snapped. Turns out that the design looks really cool, but may put an unequal amount of load on half of the spokes. It's not from bumps or pot holes - it's from the transfer of torque from the hub to the outer rim, and it's on the left side (brake disc side).

I've heard of a few front spokes snapping. Maybe from the force transferred from the braking? I don't know any real facts, just rumors and common sense guesses.
I just don't trust a guy who's garage is that clean and organized! Oh, there, in that last pic there is a bit of stuff. Not good enough. nope. don't trust 'em.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #8963
ivara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
whooa! finally done with all 599 pages after playing catch-up since february

New guy here, been riding a 02 Bonneville since 2006.
Love the Bonnie - but the Scrambler is a stellar looking bike!, my favorite the red/white 06 with silver engine.

Always wanted to do more gravel - and now that I've got intiminators up front, Öhlins on the rear, that the suspension is ready to take on some rougher roads without shaking my fillings or kidneys loose.

Lots of great ideas here re: farkling. Am going to make a bashplate and find some crash bars. And new tires. Have had good luck with my GT501's, but now want to try a set of Tourances. (If I had access to more gravel roads, I'd go for Heidenaus)
And have a 20mm ammo can collecting dust since before I got the bike - now I can finally put it to some serious use. Been using a Bagster tank bag, Renntec rack + triumph soft panniers so far. Vill be nice to leave the panniers at home, as those flop around too much, not very roomy , and in case of rain, the covers collects water from the rear wheel, so everything's soaking wet.
ivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #8964
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoChicken
I just don't trust a guy who's garage is that clean and organized! Oh, there, in that last pic there is a bit of stuff. Not good enough. nope. don't trust 'em.

Ruh-Rho.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #8965
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoChicken

You would love my garage then, 800 square feet of complete clutter. I think a hobo is living on the west side of it. I used to have a clean garage, but now its just a place to store 3 cars, 4 motorcycles, 6 bicycles and all the accesories.

I hope He doesnt plan to flat black that sweet Galaxy Convertible ( 1961? )
Old 05-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #8966
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D
You would love my garage then, 800 square feet of complete clutter.
That's bigger than my whole apartment!
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #8967
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D
You would love my garage then, 800 square feet of complete clutter. I think a hobo is living on the west side of it. I used to have a clean garage, but now its just a place to store 3 cars, 4 motorcycles, 6 bicycles and all the accesories.

OOF, sounds like mine too.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #8968
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
Check out this link, nothing but Triumph paint codes: http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/2046.aspx

It should be the "Khaki" color listed, since that code doesn't match any of the prior year colors listed here.

Thanks, TStorm.
I'll give this to my dealer and see if he can come up with some.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #8969
mondokat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Man, get that bike out of the way so I can see more of that car. Awesome!

mondokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #8970
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondokat
Man, get that bike out of the way so I can see more of that car. Awesome!

Yeah I noticed that! Nice restoration. What is that car?
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote