Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #76
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
So what I get from that review is Looks good - But that's it - Looks good.

Quote:
A tool down a smooth fire road might be one thing on the Scrambler, but to actually fire this thing through a creek or up a muddy or rocky hill will result in you trying to hoist the machine from the mud at some point and buddy that's gonna be ugly.

Quote:
make no mistake, this is a faux Scrambler

Quote:
Plus, there's few people off-road and that's where the Triumph Scrambler shines, as sort of a Pied Piper motorcycle, rumbling around with a posse of new admirers behind it.

That last paragraph tells me it's a beauty queen that looks good on road and that's where it needs to stay.

No doubt I LOVE the look of the bike, and that it's air cooled and it's not Jap. But still the reviews all say it's bland - it does not perform in or around dirt.

I want one in the worst way - but not being made of money, I can ill afford to buy a bike I'll be disappointed with 6 months in to ownership.

*sigh*
we3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #77
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,373
Real world gas mileage

Hey Scrambler Owners,

What is your real world gas mileage?

Thanks,

Wanna
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #78
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by we3
So what I get from that review is Looks good - But that's it - Looks good.

That last paragraph tells me it's a beauty queen that looks good on road and that's where it needs to stay.

Rubbish.
Look at my pictures, read what I said.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #79
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
It would probably smoke my 883 on dirt roads...but that ain't gonna stop me from riding my Sporty off of the pavement...

I think it's a kewl bike.

If I didn't feel the need for saddlebags or passengers, my Sportster would be wearing a pair of Supertrapp high pipes very similar to the pipes on the Scrambler.

Being practical and only being able to have one bike sucks.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:01 AM   #80
Firestorm

Oddometer: 5,221
My View,
It sounds like in all the reviews they are expecting the Scrambler to be a dirt bike when taken off-road. But to compair such a bike to a CR250R or your standard Honda XR, is it fair? This bike does not have the suspension nor the ultra knobby tire's that your standard dirt bike has. It's a retro bike, comparing it to an R1 for on street performance and handling and than a CR250R Dirt bike for off-road, doesn't seem fair. It's like if they started building the P-51 Mustangs again and than compare it to the New F-22 Fighter jets, and complain that it doesn't go faster than the speed of sound and that it doesn't carry as many weapons.

It's a reissue of older technology from a different time period, it has it's flaw and it might not be the best performer, but still has the spirt and fun of the older motorcycles.

I would buy one and I would ride it off road. Cool looking bike (And girl ). But........ I really like my GS and cannot afford two bikes.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #81
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Rubbish.
Look at my pictures, read what I said
I have and you appear to be the ONLY person that wholeheartedly support this bike.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #82
Pete™
Published.

Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by we3
I have and you appear to be the ONLY person that wholeheartedly support this bike.
I wholeheartedly support this bike.
Pete™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #83
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmmm - let me amend that last statement.
You appear to be the ONLY person that wholeheartedly support this bike - in print - as a magazine review - or as a online motorcycle review site.

I realize some of you owners "wholeheartedly support this bike" but the media types - Dave excluded - still appear to me as regarding this bike as a looker not a do-er with no particular substance. Looks good - draws a crowd - spin around town bike.

With a finalization that you should not expect this bike to be more than a pavement cruiser in Oldtyme-Scrambler clothing.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #84
Pete™
Published.

Oddometer: 9,339
I think you might be expecting the wrong things from the wrong bikes....

My Uly is not a DRZ.... My RoadKing is not an R1....

This scrambler is not a DRZ either.

The majority of reviews that I read said that it did well on Dirt Roads and gravel. I doubt that many really tried to push it further. Danger Dave is by definition... Danger Dave... He took the bike places others didn't and he was impressed by its abilities. I think the bike does exactly what it is designed for and looks great while doing it.
Pete™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #85
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Gas mileage is right near 50 miles per gallon. I'm in break in though so I'm not really hammering the throttle.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #86
Pistol
The Novice

Oddometer: 37
First time poster here...enjoying the banter.

Re: Mileage: After 750 miles on the new bike over the last two weeks, it's around 45-50 mpg.

Re: Expectations and disappointment...none here. But as a newer rider, how can you not like it? I can understand the amusement and skepticism of offroad and sport enthusiasts---it ain't either. But what it is is mighty fine, as everyone whose seen it and rode it can attest.

Pistol
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #87
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Its been an excellent rookie bike for me. Nothing but compliments on it as well.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:10 AM   #88
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Pistol

First time poster here...enjoying the banter.
Welcome Pistol, to our loony-bin. Yah you know I have been on some forums that just as soon as someone diverges or does not "go with the flow" of the thread it turns in to a F*!@ you you don't know S^#! about good blah blah blah......

I appreciate it here that this thread has gone on with some real good feed back.

I contend that real world owners tend to genuinely like this bike, media I read think it's a looker not a do-er, and Dave is sticking to his original post - best thing to come along since salvation.

For me I'll reserve final judgement until I can actually ride one - problem being, the ONLY dealer here is 300 miles away from me. On paper it looks like what I want (have said that all along) Twin - Non Jap - Air cooled - Old School look I just wished those in the industry wholeheartedly supported the Scrambler.

....I miss America
Old 06-16-2006, 07:05 AM   #89
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
With the Uly gone and the Scrambler being a new offering [sort of] , I think I may see a new "mission" for me here.

Folks have mentioned the weight and the "puny" engine.

I just did some interesting comparisons with the BMW F650GS Dakar [which coincidentally, I have listed in Flea Market ].

Published [Dry] Weight:

Scrambler: 451 pounds
Dakar: 425 pounds

Published HP:

Scrambler: 54 HP
Dakar: 50 HP

Using the 7 lb. / HP urban motorcycle myth conversion factor, it would appear that one could expect the performance of these two bikes to pretty much be a wash.

I know it isn't quite that simple and the published figures may or may not be real-world accurate, but it suggests that someone comfortable with the performance level of a larger bore thumper like the KLR or GS might be satisfied with the Scrambler's engine.

I wouldn't want it for my only bike, but it sure seems like it would be nice addition to the stable for running around town and afternoon jaunts in the countryside...plus it is cool as hell.

If I can get my bikes sold and the Geezer Glide paid for, I might just run down to LR and eyeball one of these.

I'm already thinking of a clever title for my long term review....uh oh.

Here we go again....well....defintely maybe.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #90
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,437
It's all in what you compare to, isn't it?
I don't know that I'd want it for an only, either; and I'm not sure I wouldn't go for a Bonnie instead.
But if it's a second bike (or 3d, 4th.....), or for someone who does weekend pleasure rides, or as a 'cruiser' that won't make you pucker on a dirt road, I think it would be a blast.
As to power/weight issues, it's got as much beans as an 883, at 100 pounds lighter.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote