ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #8986
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
fireflyr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Keene, California
Oddometer: 412



I want. That just reminds me so much of the bikes built in the 80's for Superbike racing. Great job.
__________________
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #8987
googlemeier
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
leave old Fritz alone, he is his own Man
I really dig that one...

Next time I cross the big water we'll have a beer together - a German brand if possible...
googlemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #8988
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur
 
Mastodon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: The District of Concrete
Oddometer: 656
Got a call from the dealer today, my Tiger handguards are in. Now I've got everything I need to make the scram into a miltary-themed tourer... well, minus a bike.

Still, when I get the bike back and repaired, I'll be all set. Still not sure if I'm going to file an insurance claim or not. I think I can make the repairs for less than $500. All I think I'll need is just a new shifter, new side panel, new mirror(?), and new turn signals. A new, pre-painted side panel is only $144 from the dealer (still havent used my 15% off coupon from when I bought the bike, so it's really only $120.)

I'll keep the dent in the tank as a memento, a battle scar. Same with the scrape on the side of the headlamp bucket.


Also: 9000th post!!!
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #8989
wiseanhyzer
\ˈwī-zən-ˌhī-zər\
 
wiseanhyzer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Georgia
Oddometer: 1,539
Post 9001, Page 601

__________________

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #8990
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.
 
Mista Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Oddometer: 14,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
Got a call from the dealer today, my Tiger handguards are in. Now I've got everything I need to make the scram into a miltary-themed tourer... well, minus a bike.

Still, when I get the bike back and repaired, I'll be all set. Still not sure if I'm going to file an insurance claim or not. I think I can make the repairs for less than $500. All I think I'll need is just a new shifter, new side panel, new mirror(?), and new turn signals. A new, pre-painted side panel is only $144 from the dealer (still havent used my 15% off coupon from when I bought the bike, so it's really only $120.)

I'll keep the dent in the tank as a memento, a battle scar. Same with the scrape on the side of the headlamp bucket.


Also: 9000th post!!!
Glad things are getting settled for you! You may want to check (if you haven't alread) to see that your shifter/gear change still operates smoothly. NoPoChicken dropped her bike once and it bent the shifter shaft - hope that isn't the case for you!!
__________________
-
"The turd follows the fart as surely as the rain follows the plow."

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #8991
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Noosa, Australia
Oddometer: 506
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
That thing must go so fast now that you are afraid to look at a speedometer.

Love the safety wired oil filler cap. Is the oil drain plug safety wired too?
Yep, the regs state that the oil filler cap, oil drain plug and oil filter must be safety wired. Since we have a NARK fitted, the engine breather must feed into a container of at least 300mm capacity so I have extended the breather hose and fitted it to an oil collection bottle which resides under the Thruxton seat hump. The seat is the solo seat so there is a nice storage area under that seat hump. I will post of pic of this.

Re the Speedo, I was undecided whether to remove it (and cable) completly or tape it up as done. Hey, there's only one place you might be tempted to take a peek at the speedo and that's at the very end of the main straight. However in thinking about it I decided that my attention might be better served looking for the braking marker at that point!
__________________
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out the window.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #8992
Maxacceleration
What now
 
Maxacceleration's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Wa
Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
Post 9001, Page 601
PICTURE!
Looking good Wiseanhyzer.

Yes a bike needs contrast as Wiseys does.
__________________
Horsepower is a distant second to useable torque, unless cafe cruising is the reason for the purchase...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #8993
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch
 
panthercity's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Republic of Texas
Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
Grizz, far be it from me to try to teach an old dog how to suck eggs but, based on several decades of building (and crashing) these wonderful contraptions, I’d suggest making the front brake reservoir a bit more crash resistant. Nothing like a minor spill putting a stop to the whole meet.
__________________
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #8994
RoaringDS
Adventurer
 
RoaringDS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: OKC
Oddometer: 54
Nelson Rigg SLR tankbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by akokie
has anybody here used a nelson rigg tank bag on the scrambler? i'm looking at this one specifically...

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/Prod...e=&prdtImgfile=

i'm curious if a) it fits the scrambler's tank, b) the solar charger actually works, and c) if the iphone compartment is weatherproof

or if no one has this bag- any recommendations for a good tank bag i could use with an iphone- one with a clear weatherproof plastic so's i could see the screen.
akokie,

I am using Nelson Rigg's model from last year (SLR-10). It will fit but would work better if the gas cap were flush to the tank. It has slipped off on me. Also, I am in the process of sending the battery and solar panel to NR for replacement. For some reason, I am only getting one LED coming on after it should be fully charged. The clear plastic portion for your phone is a bit close to your body, so you would have to take your eyes off the road to view it. Neat capabilities, just not so great execution.

OU grad here by the way....BOOOOOMERRRR!!!!

John...
__________________
'07 Triumph Scrambler

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who strives valiantly, who errs & comes short again; ...who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of great achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither vicotory nor defeat. ~Theodore Roosevelt
RoaringDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #8995
m4fz
Living on Island time
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 32
[quote=goodcat8]That's so sexy it's illegal









Viva la freedom indeed, part of the "freedom" is being able to disagree w/ other's point of views and riding habits







I completely 2nd that. Looks cheesy, cheap, and....... cheap. Bikes only got 200 something miles on it to. It's a shame it's been defaced [/quote


Excellent! now lets work on " I disagree with "
and " I'm critical of "
when you say I disagree with, you are making a statement of your opinion.
when you post cute little round faces banging their heads against posts. or rolling their eyes,
then you are being critical, with out words, however veiled.
the old guy was simply stating how he rolls.
He has ridden before and knows what he wants.
he was not being critical of how you ride, why the attack?
he might have bought his scrambler in part based on what he saw on this website.
friendly people being cool to each other and sharing info on the bike and the adventures they are having. we probably won't see him again here after that welcome.
this site had alot to do with my purchase of the bike.
nuff said.

m4fz screwed with this post 05-05-2010 at 05:00 PM
m4fz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #8996
Krahe
Studly Adventurer
 
Krahe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Midwest US
Oddometer: 658
I know everyone here is always looking for bigger side cases for their Scramblers so I thought I would link this:



__________________
-Stock '07 Triumph Scrambler
6200 miles

Krahe screwed with this post 05-05-2010 at 07:28 PM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #8997
mondokat
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercity
Id suggest making the front brake reservoir a bit more crash resistant. Nothing like a minor spill putting a stop to the whole meet.
I'd think that would prevent stopping... Hm. Guess I'm still pretty new to this stuff.

mondokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #8998
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....
 
goodcat8's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4fz
Excellent! now lets work on " I disagree with "
and " I'm critical of "
when you say I disagree with, you are making a statement of your opinion.
when you post cute little round faces banging their heads against posts. or rolling their eyes,
then you are being critical, with out words, however veiled.
the old guy was simply stating how he rolls.
He has ridden before and knows what he wants.
he was not being critical of how you ride, why the attack?
he might have bought his scrambler in part based on what he saw on this website.
friendly people being cool to each other and sharing info on the bike and the adventures they are having. we probably won't see him again here after that welcome.
this site had alot to do with my purchase of the bike.
nuff said.
Shhhhhhhhhhh...........
__________________
2014 Triumph Scrambler
Prior: 3rd Battalion - 6th Marines - 2nd Marine Division - Lima Company - 2nd Platoon - 0311
goodcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #8999
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Noosa, Australia
Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercity
Grizz, far be it from me to try to teach an old dog how to suck eggs but, based on several decades of building (and crashing) these wonderful contraptions, I’d suggest making the front brake reservoir a bit more crash resistant. Nothing like a minor spill putting a stop to the whole meet.
Point taken! I have since cut down one of those foam Triumph 'stubby holders' and zip-tied it to the resevoir. Looks cool and will soak up any leakage as well. I'll be taking a few pics over the weekend so will post up big next week.
__________________
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out the window.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 05-06-2010 at 03:47 AM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:45 AM   #9000
davorallyfan
Commonist
 
davorallyfan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Capitalist
Oddometer: 15,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
My understanding is that it is usually the rear wheel that has problems.
What year is the bike & how many K's ??.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason for which bikes break spokes & which don't. I've never broken one & believe me, I have tried. Other Bonnie riders break them without even looking at a dirt road. Luck of the draw I guess.
Ive lock wired my rear spokes after breaking two - they broke not when I was going hard but when I was being a tar baby. Curious.
__________________
7th Day Adventourist.
Terrafied
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014