Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #9031
geo-k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I did the LED idiot light conversion and AI removal kit from newbonneville.com this weekend. I have a couple of comments on the procedure for those that may not have done these upgrades, but are considering it.

The LED kit works great, and the procedure is relatively easy. The only problem I had was trying to line-up the interior washers on the inside of the plastic housing behind the gauge cluster. They sit up on a little lip in the housing, and fall off and rattle around in the housing if you don't line the screws up properly. I dabbed them with a little silicon adhesive to keep them put while I lined up the holes. Lights are very bright and clear now (even in direct sunlight).

The AI kit was also an easy install (or removal actually), with a few exceptions. The AI tubes that insert into the head are supposed to be removed with a 13mm deep well socket. It would need to be 6 inches deep to work, which I didn't have. Also, the tip of the tube bell's out to make a flange fit for the hose that goes over it. A 3/8" drive socket wouldn't clear the flange on the drive end. I bought the longest 13mm 1/2" drive I could find locally, thinking it would clear the flange in case it wasn't quite long enough. It wasn't long enough or wide enough. Time to make the tool work, whether it wants to or not. I slipped it on and wacked it with a hammer a few times and knocked the lip of the flange enough to slide on. Went over to the next side, and repeated procedure...but the tube bent instead. Wound up having to bend the tube back and snap it off instead (I guess I will have to buy parts if I decide to add back the AI). I tried to torque the new bolt plugs in, but my torque wrench felt odd. The replacement bolts are "12"MM - not 13mm?! Well that wasn't in the instructions!
Well, I rode the Scrambler this morning, and no backfiring/popping on deceleration. In fact, the TORS just sounded smoother and more mellow. Bonus. Also, I could be imagining things, but the power delivery felt smoother as well.
All in all, a relatively inexpensive bit of farkeling, with noticeable improvements and no apparent downsides.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #9032
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
Point taken! I have since cut down one of those foam Triumph 'stubby holders' and zip-tied it to the resevoir. Looks cool and will soak up any leakage as well. I'll be taking a few pics over the weekend so will post up big next week.
The weekend has come and gone, the BEARS Challenge (British, American, European Racing, no jappers... get it) races were run and won and all objectives meet. Concerning the last, the main one was to ensure that I could drive myself home instead of being driven home with my arm in a sling (or worse!)

The bottom line... the Scram ran perfectly, heaps dropped by in the pits to ape at the bike, pass admiring glances and take their pics. Due to a small number of entries in the BEARS formula 4 section in which we were entered, formula 3,4&5 sections where run together to form a total field of about 25 bikes.

We finished a stong last, second last, third or fourth last in all races but in so doing managed to accrue the most points in the Formula 4 division so we got to cart home the trophy!!!! Hows that! Here's a couple of pics but the trackside photographer took a whole bunch of action shots which I'll post when they arrive on CD in the mail.

For those interested in lap times, my best was 1min 19.8 secs but was generally circulating in the 1min 20/21sec bracket. The lead riders were riding 125kg Aprillia RSV550 supermotards doing around 1min 7 sec to 1min 10 sec laps. Morgan Park at Warwick is a curcuit of 2.1km with an extension of .9km to be added later this year which will make it an awesome place to ride. My personal challenge was to finish the race before being lapped by these fearless young'uns on their souped up trail bikes... hey, isn't that what our Scrambler is?

The Contenental Race Attacks worked brilliantly with never an "oh bugger" type moment!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 04:09 AM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #9033
arewethereyet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Nice one Griz! Bang-up job mate a smashing looking scram!

Ceers
Peter
arewethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #9034
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
We finished a stong last, second last, third or fourth last in all races but in so doing managed to accrue the most points in the Formula 4 division so we got to cart home the trophy!!!!
lol. Awesome!! That's pure Scrambler style...not great at anything but happily wins everything overall.
Looks like you worked those tyres.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:22 AM   #9035
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
We finished a stong last, second last, third or fourth last in all races but in so doing managed to accrue the most points in the Formula 4 division so we got to cart home the trophy!!!!
Congrats on winning the trophy Grizz. Well done mate.

You should let Triumph know what you're up to. I'm sure, with them now competing in WSS they'd be interested in another Triumph winning a trophy.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:00 AM   #9036
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by technikiller
Hey all, I bought a 2008 Scramber with just 1700 miles on the clock. I noticed some oil on the skid plate after I purchased it, so I torqued the drain plug to recommended spec. I just changed the oil the other day, replaced the crush washer and once again torqued to specs I'm still getting some oil leakage from the drain plug/oil cooler line area. Anybody have this problem? Any suggestions? is the recommended torque spec not adequate?
Here are some pics of the problem:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You might try....STAT-O-SEALS.....do a search....i found them here: http://www.pitstopusa.com/searchresu...ategoryID=3175

They're a washer with an O-ring seal in them.

Gerat stuff for a lot of uses.....
Old 05-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #9037
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
The weekend has come and gone, the BEARS Challenge (British, American, European Racing, no jappers... get it) races were run and won and all objectives meet. Concerning the last, the main one was to ensure that I could drive myself home instead of being driven home with my arm in a sling (or worse!)
YeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaa! Congrats Girz!
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #9038
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Grizz - congrats on a fine race performance!

Re Rhodie and that brake setup - I liked that idea from the beginning as I think it addresses one of the biggest weaknesses of the Scrambler as a big dual-sport/adventure bike - that doggone low-hanging rear brake.

Never got around to ordering one from him. Hoped that it would continue in production and I'd be able to get one "someday." Appears the opportunity for one may well have come and gone. It was a niche product for a niche market for sure - but appeared to be very well designed and crafted.

Scramblin' merrily away here in Central Washington. About froze on a recent windy, cold 225 mile ride to and from Yakima. Might need to see about a bigger bike with a real fairing and some heated grips - or just be a little smarter and drive the truck on days like that.

Living where it's only "good" riding weather about 4 - 5 months a year tempts a fellow to push it and ride on marginal days, or anytime the sun is out and the snow & slush is off the road... Sometimes that's not so smart.

Just checking in from Washington. No big updates to the Scram, just more miles on the trusty steed. Am closing in on 11,000 miles with two summers under it and another one staring us in the face. If it ever actually warms up that is! She's a good machine, needing little in the way of care, and delivering much in the way of grins.

Regards, Guy
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #9039
jharrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Scram Trip

Thought I'd post a photo from my recent 2131 mile round trip ride from Indianapolis, IN to Tampa, FL. This wasn't really a sightseeing trip but more of a "visit the mom" trip. Scrambler did very well though. Photo was taken at a campground in Ohatchee, Alabama.

John
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #9040
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell
Thought I'd post a photo from my recent 2131 mile round trip ride from Indianapolis, IN to Tampa, FL. This wasn't really a sightseeing trip but more of a "visit the mom" trip. Scrambler did very well though. Photo was taken at a campground in Ohatchee, Alabama.

John
Nice! Good to see you've got a trip in early in the year. It is still raining off and on in nor cal but will be warming up soon.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #9041
jharrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
The Insanity May Continue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Nice! Good to see you've got a trip in early in the year. It is still raining off and on in nor cal but will be warming up soon.
I may also be making a ride from Indianapolis, IN to Leadville, CO in July.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #9042
TheNaker
El Vagabondo

Oddometer: 90
Fuel line

I'm considering ordering a Tourtank auxiliary fuel tank to a Scrambler that I am buying out of town. Can anyone tell me if the fuel line is 1/4 or 5/16 or 3/8 ID?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #9043
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Ventura Luggage

Got my Ventura pack/rack system (in chrome) delivered today. What a great experience with them. Lots of emails, more than enough effort on their part, and even a bag of chips in the box with my gear!! I'd recommend dealing with them to anyone, fantastic experience. Also received a Dart Flyscreen today, another great online buying experience. The delivery people made my day today for sure.

Triumph tank bag, black engine guards, and black skid plate are on order. Should be good to go for summer once I get all this stuff mounted.

Pics will follow in June when I get home from work and back to my Scram.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #9044

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaker
I'm considering ordering a Tourtank auxiliary fuel tank to a Scrambler that I am buying out of town. Can anyone tell me if the fuel line is 1/4 or 5/16 or 3/8 ID?

Thanks!
6mm IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #9045
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormley Green
Got my Ventura pack/rack system (in chrome) delivered today. What a great experience with them. Lots of emails, more than enough effort on their part, and even a bag of chips in the box with my gear!! I'd recommend dealing with them to anyone, fantastic experience. Also received a Dart Flyscreen today, another great online buying experience. The delivery people made my day today for sure.

Triumph tank bag, black engine guards, and black skid plate are on order. Should be good to go for summer once I get all this stuff mounted.

Pics will follow in June when I get home from work and back to my Scram.

I'm like a kid in a candy store when I get something I have ordered, I cant wait to open it. I was lucky , My bike came with two boxes of accessories not yet installed. I was able to make enough off the parts I did not want to get all the goodies I needed and still have a few bucks left over.

I might be the only guy on the the board that has actually de-farkled a bike.