Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #9046
sirclive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
2 days until Scrambler!

Cant wait.
Thanks for all the enthusiasm, advice and great pics.
Dave
Washington DC.
sirclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #9047
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,082
Just finished a adv camp and the scrambler did just great!
My primary concern is the itty-bitty battery. In two days of riding (8 hours, 11 miles!) lots of slow speed practice and stopping and starting (read: stalling and falling), I spent way too much time worrying about the bike starting again! We tried to bump start, I tried to take any opportunity to run some higher speed laps to juice up the battery, and plugged in to a trickle charger when we took a longer break and overnight.
Other than the power problems the scrambler did everything that the smaller dirt bikes and the larger gs's did, with the only limitation being the operator .

A small sample of the company...

There were 18 of us, all women, more pics to follow.

The good news: I fell at least 4 times, 2 on each side, and didn't break anything! The sliders, folding shifter, and oberon pegs all held up. I am very pleased!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #9048
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormley Green
Got my Ventura pack/rack system (in chrome) delivered today. What a great experience with them. Lots of emails, more than enough effort on their part, and even a bag of chips in the box with my gear!! I'd recommend dealing with them to anyone, fantastic experience. Also received a Dart Flyscreen today, another great online buying experience. The delivery people made my day today for sure.

Triumph tank bag, black engine guards, and black skid plate are on order. Should be good to go for summer once I get all this stuff mounted.

Pics will follow in June when I get home from work and back to my Scram.
I also recently installed the Ventura pack rack and dart flyscreen. I find the zipper on the pack is awkward to use as the pack material is very stiff and the zipper is hard to move around the corners. The velcro seems to hold the top down pretty good so I find myself not using the zipper so much. The mounts fit well and it is sturdily made so overall I like it and it is my only luggage.
The Dart flyscreen looks very nice and keeps flys off the front of the speedometer, but I didn't notice much change in wind protection from the naked bike. I will get a bigger screen for longer trips.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #9049
TheNaker
El Vagabondo

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
6mm IIRC.
Thanks - so 1/4" ID should work then?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #9050
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Bike Bandit has the hose listed as 7mm ID. LINK

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #9051
TheNaker
El Vagabondo

Oddometer: 90
Thanks. I will remember to check here first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
Bike Bandit has the hose listed as 7mm ID. LINK
Old 05-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #9052
TRRcheck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Anyone use a Scram for primarily highway and interstate driving? I'd really like to buy the khaki green but this is my main type of driving, although I might do some light offroad seeing as she's more capable for it. Fyi, I'm driving an XR1200 currently. Also, I usually put on 15-20k per season.
TRRcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #9053
britishbangers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Hello TRR,

Yup! I use my scrambler for 230 kms run on highways/free ways legal speed limit is 120 kph.

The bike does it without even feeling strained.

Get a decent screen to get the wind off your chest.

Also a suggestion would be to install a higher sprocket to drop the engine revs on the highway.

I'm sure some other inmate will get around with their views soon.

The bike is loads of fun and is over engineered!

Reg,

Joji
britishbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #9054
jharrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRRcheck
Anyone use a Scram for primarily highway and interstate driving? I'd really like to buy the khaki green but this is my main type of driving, although I might do some light offroad seeing as she's more capable for it. Fyi, I'm driving an XR1200 currently. Also, I usually put on 15-20k per season.
I just returned from a 2131 mile trip on my Scrambler.
I avoided the interstates but did ride numerous state highways. The Scrambler will cruise at 70 to 75 all day if that's what you need it to do.
In my opinion though it's much better in the 60's or less.

I love my Scrambler but if I was looking for a bike that was going to see most of it's time on the interstates there are much better options.
(My opinions. Others may and will vary!)

John
Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #9055
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoChicken
My primary concern is the itty-bitty battery. In two days of riding (8 hours, 11 miles!) lots of slow speed practice and stopping and starting (read: stalling and falling), I spent way too much time worrying about the bike starting again! We tried to bump start, I tried to take any opportunity to run some higher speed laps to juice up the battery, and plugged in to a trickle charger when we took a longer break and overnight.
Other than the power problems the scrambler did everything that the smaller dirt bikes and the larger gs's did, with the only limitation being the operator .

The good news: I fell at least 4 times, 2 on each side, and didn't break anything! The sliders, folding shifter, and oberon pegs all held up. I am very pleased!
You did great! The Scrambler is one heavy low to the ground under suspended bike to be playing dirt rider on. I can see how its ok on a dirt road but Ive ridden dirt bikes all my life and could tell the Scrambler isnt one the second I saw it. I do like mine lots though and ride it every chance I get. My DRZe 400 is coming out to play now that the snow is melting and the trails are passable again.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #9056
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
I also recently installed the Ventura pack rack and dart flyscreen. I find the zipper on the pack is awkward to use as the pack material is very stiff and the zipper is hard to move around the corners. The velcro seems to hold the top down pretty good so I find myself not using the zipper so much. The mounts fit well and it is sturdily made so overall I like it and it is my only luggage.
The Dart flyscreen looks very nice and keeps flys off the front of the speedometer, but I didn't notice much change in wind protection from the naked bike. I will get a bigger screen for longer trips.
Use some petroleum jelly (vaseline) on the zippers. My BMW dry bag is the same and if I don't keep the zippers lubed can't even use them.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #9057
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,678
Quote:

Congrats, NoPo!! Next ride, you can lead!!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #9058
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:

Do you have any more pictures? Part of motorcycling is testing your limits. Stepping out of your own comfort zone sometimes. Sounds like you accomplished that for sure. Well done.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #9059
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
I will get a bigger screen for longer trips.
Any thoughts yet on which one you want? Just curious...
Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #9060
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 658
I leave town for a couple of days, come back and there's been an extra 5 pages added to this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRRcheck
I use mine mostly to commute to and from work, which is about 15-20 miles away, and can say that the Scrambler's just as solid at 80mph on the interstate as it is at the slower speeds around town. My advice: get a windscreen and have fun, but watch out for those times when the highway turns into a parking lot.

Off topic: does anyone who replaced their shifter earlier in this thread still have the original one? Assuming that it was replaced for any reason other than "it broke"
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote