Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #9076
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
I still have mine and can prolly part with it. PM me and let's see what we can work out.
PM sent.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #9077
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
Before I forget and before you head out on your journey, add lock nuts to you license plate screws.

Also I found this in the Wisdom section of ADVrider:

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/IronButt.html
I thought wisdom had to be deciphered from thousands of posts and millions of pages on this site, and only once you had passed that hurdle would you have access to the knowledge left by others. Didn't know there was a shortcut to a specific Wisdom section. I am unwise.

Good thought on the locknuts. Getting halfway through the trip and being pulled over for not having a license plate would be more than just embarrassing. "But, but officer....I swear I had one!"
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #9078
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Ive got the Spitfire on my Scrambler as well,works fine when the rt angle is found. The little wingnuts refuse to stay tight on a rough road for more then about 10 miles,they come loose no matter how much I tighten them. A friend has the same shield,same problem with his shield. The wingnuts are the sole moving part on the shield mounting set up.
I will figure out a fix but seems pretty poorly thought out as is.

My shield did that too. I put blue loctite on everything I bolt on the bike I dont want to come loose, anti-sieze on the ones you want to.

I found several bolts loose on my 08 already . Probably not a bad idea to check the critical ones everytime you change the oil.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #9079
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
I thought wisdom had to be deciphered from thousands of posts and millions of pages on this site, and only once you had passed that hurdle would you have access to the knowledge left by others. Didn't know there was a shortcut to a specific Wisdom section. I am unwise.

Good thought on the locknuts. Getting halfway through the trip and being pulled over for not having a license plate would be more than just embarrassing. "But, but officer....I swear I had one!"
I spent half a day looking for that plate, its rusting in the weeds somewhere. I had to declare it lost or stolen and the lady at the DMV really gave me the stink eye when I had to get the new one. Not something you want to have happen while on the road and not in your home state.

I have been riding for 2 years now and still consider myself a noob, maybe...maybe...after a decade I will upgrade my status to amateur. This site has definitely steered me in the right direction more than a few times.

People Like MistaVern, DangerDave, Footdragger, Rhodie, TrustMe and others really provide a good backbone of wisdom for us newbies. I am just glad I had something to share.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #9080
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D
My shield did that too. I put blue loctite on everything I bolt on the bike I dont want to come loose, anti-sieze on the ones you want to.

I found several bolts loose on my 08 already . Probably not a bad idea to check the critical ones everytime you change the oil.
Loctite is great stuff,I guess the only issue is the windscreen will come off and on on a fairly regular basis and loctite isnt meant to be used on aluminum threads.
I will try an allen head screw with anti seize and see what that does.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #9081
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Loctite is great stuff,I guess the only issue is the windscreen will come off and on on a fairly regular basis and loctite isnt meant to be used on aluminum threads.
I will try an allen head screw with anti seize and see what that does.
I still say spermatex will solve all your problems.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #9082
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
I have the Spitfire, Works pretty good for the money. Installs in around 10 minutes and I can take it off in thirty seconds. I had to adjust it a few times to get rid of turbulence , It seems to work best when the shield is mounted close to 90 degrees.

Check out post 8221 for a pic.
If you've got the time and the desire, I'd be pretty keen to see some more pics of the mounted screen. Have you had a problem with it loosening like some guys below your post?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #9083
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
I use the National Cycle Deflector shield and have never had a problem with anything coming loose. It's also fully adjustable for height, angle, and distance from the rider. Really works well.

TStrom,
I found it almost impossible to insert the holders into the shield itself until I carefully removed the flash from those little balls that are supposed to pop into the mounting holes. Used an emory board to clean them up slightly.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #9084
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Thumb

Max - Great Setup!
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #9085
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,072
Gratuitous scrambler next to a fence picture:
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #9086
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44
I use the National Cycle Deflector shield and have never had a problem with anything coming loose. It's also fully adjustable for height, angle, and distance from the rider. Really works well....

TStrom,
I found it almost impossible to insert the holders into the shield itself until I carefully removed the flash from those little balls that are supposed to pop into the mounting holes. Used an emory board to clean them up slightly.

Like the National Cycle Deflector on my `06. No problems with it coming loose in the last 10k miles.

I used a hair dryer to warm the holders before attaching them to the shield.
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #9087
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
I have gathered all parts for completing my 'Touring Roadster' pannier mounts.

As I posted previously I beefed under the seat for a much more flex free weight bearing rack.
I then purchased a 1/8" sheet aluminum 'plate' from Aerostich.
Then I had fabbed up two sets of 'wings' in 3/16" aluminum sheet to mount panniers. Also an aluminum strut to tie in the wings.
I used neoprene padding for dampening/vibration reducing.

EASILY removable in about three minutes.
Light too! Easily less than ten pounds complete.
This set-up holds my MotoFizz tailbag & 'medium' Tourmaster panniers, which are actually quite small.
Traveling light is my priority.

And just in time for my 'Mystery Tour' I join in on this weekend.

Still, not as solid as Rhodie or Grizzly's welded on bosses, but IMO a decent alternative for those who don't want to modify their frames.

I will tweak and adjust tomorrow and hopefully get some outdoor pics...
Perfect! You came to the same solution and you realized what I have still only in my head. Don´t blame me later for "intellectual propriety stealing"
Old 05-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #9088
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen
"intellectual propriety stealing"
Now that might be a stretch!

With the rack height on the solo seat above the pipe by a good margin, smaller panniers can be mounted above the high pipe in a balanced symmetrical fashion.
Keep the weight down and there is minimal penalty for higher mounted bags.
Aluminum sheet, boxed, bridged or otherwise supported can have good strength.
Width is only 32-33" overall (including panniers). About the same as my bars.
I'm sure someone can/will brainstorm a better set-up.

For me, I also have the large Moto-Fizz tailbag for tent, bag, pad, chair, table etc.
I have already acquired this gear. It is compact and light. REI is my friend.
My theme is compact and light. I do not want to be pinned or gorged with aluminum/metal boxes if I crash.

Funny, I have since the beginning thought of me & this Scrambler in the easy going 'Then Came Bronson" style of travel.
(I grew up watching it, sorry)

Oh, I have done a similar centerstand mod as blacktiger has.
Only with a rubber bumpstop. Probably a temporary fix.
The answer is a derlin block. As soon as I acquire that I have a dependable long lasting solution for the PITA centerstand.
I DO need a centerstand for adjustment & lube on the road.

The Scrambler is the anti BMW/KTM...
Cheers
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #9089
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Max , That is a great solution for luggage . Too bad it wont work on my bike, I have the full seat and stock exhaust. I fabbed up a couple of systems for my bike using 3/8 stainless tubing but never was happy with the results and ended up with the MC Resources setup.

My shop walls are lined with little projects that I made but never implemented. I really like the way your plates are bent to cradle the bottom of the bag. Thats a nice touch I may use someday If you dont mind being copied a bit.

As far as the centerstand goes. I have a couple ideas I am working on. I Already have the dimensions to improve the pivot bolts where the stand mounts to the frame . I cant understand why there is so much slop there.
As soon as I get some lathe time I will make a new set of bolts and post the pics.

The clunky part of the center stand drives me nuts. For now I use velcro straps. I want to design a latch to firmly grab the stand, but could be unlatched with your foot. my 2nd idea is to use magnets. McMaster Carr sells some pretty cool mounts made for supporting conduit/pipes to steel structures. I have used them in the past and they are super strong.

Pics to come...
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #9090
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,288
Quote:
Max , That is a great solution for luggage . Too bad it wont work on my bike, I have the full seat and stock exhaust. I fabbed up a couple of systems for my bike using 3/8 stainless tubing but never was happy with the results and ended up with the MC Resources setup.

My shop walls are lined with little projects that I made but never implemented. I really like the way your plates are bent to cradle the bottom of the bag. Thats a nice touch I may use someday If you dont mind being copied a bit.

As far as the centerstand goes. I have a couple ideas I am working on. I Already have the dimensions to improve the pivot bolts where the stand mounts to the frame . I cant understand why there is so much slop there.
As soon as I get some lathe time I will make a new set of bolts and post the pics.

The clunky part of the center stand drives me nuts. For now I use velcro straps. I want to design a latch to firmly grab the stand, but could be unlatched with your foot. my 2nd idea is to use magnets. McMaster Carr sells some pretty cool mounts made for supporting conduit/pipes to steel structures. I have used them in the past and they are super strong.

Pics to come...
I put the Triumph centerstand on a while ago,Funny how their tolerances for the bolts/bushings are as sloppy as they can be and still work. Yet they arent made in China? I ground the rt side bushing shorter just enough to make a slight bind fit when the bolt is tightened.
Took 10 minutes and works like a champ so far,no rattles and stand moves easy enough when I deploy it.

I would be embarassed to charge what Triumph charges for this centerstand and have it fit like China bike parts. Obviously their OK with it.