Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #9106
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Bit of a chuffer nut then Chris?
I wouldn't go that far, but yes - I like the old steam engines, and this place is only a few miles away. Mid-week there's hardly anyone there apart from the workers so I get to wander about and chat to the engineers in the engine sheds. They got an American loco currently being restored, and taken loan of a pristine GWR 2-6-2 Prairie Tank (from Bridgenorth I think). The engineers mostly have a keen interest in old British bikes too, maybe the two go together
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #9107
Schmeds
scarce

Oddometer: 6,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D

Could they be off a Speed Triple?
No, no. That's just a Photoshopping I did of a photo from a review. I wanted to see what it'd look like before I took the plunge.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #9108
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Hmmm. Damp road, Trailwing tyres. Picture taken just before he landed on his arse.
haha, easy! I run tw's!!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #9109
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeds
What says the collective?

For my that just ain't ringing my bell. The duals ruin the beautiful classic look that makes the Triumph Classics appeal tome. It's you motorcycle and you're the only one thats gotta like, if it puts a smile on your face that's a bingo.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #9110
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum
For my that just ain't ringing my bell. The duals ruin the beautiful classic look that makes the Triumph Classics appeal tome. It's you motorcycle and you're the only one that's gotta like, if it puts a smile on your face that's a bingo.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #9111
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,721
Sorry to post in the Scrambler thread, but I couldn't find much in "Road Warriors" about the regular Bonnie...

So what is the definitive forum for the new Bonnevilles? I am thinking of getting one. Not really interested in the Scrambler because of cost and I want the cast wheels.

Does removal of the AI really help to reduce the bluing of the header pipes?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #9112
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Sorry to post in the Scrambler thread, but I couldn't find much in "Road Warriors" about the regular Bonnie...

So what is the definitive forum for the new Bonnevilles? I am thinking of getting one. Not really interested in the Scrambler because of cost and I want the cast wheels.

Does removal of the AI really help to reduce the bluing of the header pipes?
newbonnevilleriders.com

and

triumphrat.net

Tons of info, lot's of good helpful folks.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #9113
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,019
Did you catch my pics from an earlier page Griz?
My rack is symmetrical from the rear. That was/is important to me.

And yes rous I will measure up the height of my support piece.
I rubber mounted on top of the support bracket just to ease contact and dampen vibration.
A better shape could be done for even better support (wider flatter).
Neoprene sits between the seat rack & top plate, so no metal to metal to mar finishes.

My bike is geared up for tomorrows tour so I probably won't tear it down again today.
I will when I return.

Thanks for the positive comments gentlemen.
Sounds dangerous.

Maxacceleration screwed with this post 05-14-2010 at 05:02 PM
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #9114
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
What does this brake kit have that others don't?

HBK113 HYDE FRONT BRAKE KIT

http://www.normanhyde.co.uk/getimg.p...img/HBK113.jpgA full floating 320mm stainless steel disc with aluminium alloy centre, combined with an AP Lockheed 4 piston caliper & Ferodo brake pads really make this brake kit a great improvement over the standard item. Fits Bonneville/T100 & Scrambler models. A new braided stainless steel brake hose is included in the kit.(For Thruxton and Thunderbird version see part no.HBK213).
455.00534.63 inc. VAT

Some owners have had issues with front brake performance and/or rotors warping. This kit is supposed improve the front brakes and eliminate the warping issue.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #9115
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum
For my that just ain't ringing my bell. The duals ruin the beautiful classic look that makes the Triumph Classics appeal tome. It's you motorcycle and you're the only one thats gotta like, if it puts a smile on your face that's a bingo.
Have to agree. It's not doing it for me.

OTOH, a big (7") headlight would give much needed light without sacrificing the classic looks, and I know several people have made that switch. Someone even put a monstrous (8") headlight on a Scram and it doesn't look bad.

The S3 started the "bugeye/dual headlight" trend and while I agree it looks nice on the S3, the Street Triple, and the S4, I don't like it on a classic-style bike. It's too much of a bizzarre juxtaposition of styles.

EDITED TO ADD: Am I the only one who thinks the Thruxton should have been called the "Speed Twin?" I love the fact that Triumph "recycles" classic names from its past (like the Daytona, Thunderbird, Bonneville, Sprint, Tiger, etc) but I think they missed out by calling the sporty version of the Bonnie a Thruxton. Speed Twin would have sounded better, would have told people exactly what kind of bike it was, and would have been a nice connection to the past.

I also think the Scrambler should have gotten a different name, maybe TR6, or perhaps TR9 in light of the 900cc motor.

"Scrambler" is a type, not a model name. It would be like Honda calling their new cruiser the "Honda Cruiser."
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #9116
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
http://www.triumphrat.net/forum.php
Old 05-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #9117
wanka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Scmeds;

I like it. Looks different yet classy. IMO.
wanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #9118
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan
It would be like Honda calling their new cruiser the "Honda Cruiser."
If I remember right, one of the rice countryJapanese car companies called one of their vehicles "Cube" because it looks like a giant cube. Ford has their "GT" and BMW has their "M Roadster" and "M Coupe." VW had a "Cabrio" which is shortened from cabriolet, euro-speak for convertable. And there's the "Hummer", which started out as the "HMMWV" (pronounced: Humvee) and stood for 'High Mobility Multi-Wheeled Vehicle"

Naming vehicles after types is quite common, and with the Scrambler, Triumph is just following along instead of going their own way. I for one would've liked it as a TR6, or TR9.

Mastodon screwed with this post 05-15-2010 at 08:51 AM
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #9119
Schmeds
scarce

Oddometer: 6,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan
The S3 started the "bugeye/dual headlight" trend and while I agree it looks nice on the S3, the Street Triple, and the S4, I don't like it on a classic-style bike. It's too much of a bizzarre juxtaposition of styles.
Actually, my inspiration was a photo of a beaten up Brough Superior with two huge headlights. For the life of me, I can't find that pic anymore. It looked strange, but just screamed "purpose built". Serious battle axe. That's where I'm headed.

Now I just need to find somebody's Scram headlight from a 7" conversion. There are aftermarket dual lights, but not in the right style...
Old 05-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #9120
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,269
Wonder what a set of Honda Ruckus lights wouls look like with grills? I have never seen one in person so I dont know how big they are.