User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #9121
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Flat tire fix at roadside.

So I got a rear flat on the Scrambler yesterday,no cell phone coverage,no way to get going but to fix it.
Might be a good one to practice at home once or twice.
I have changed tube tires by hand for many years,the Triumph caliper falling out at every possible chance,both wheel spacers doing the same made it a greasy hassle,also the swingarm needed to be spread slightly to get the wheel in,while holding the caliper and both wheel spacers in place. The tube change itself went good as I had all the tools necessary to do so,still took the better part of 2 hours to wrestle things around. Not a great time but would have been much worse if I didnt have tools and a little know how.

Its nice to think it will never happen to my Scrambler but it could.

Tire irons.
2 pair of heavy duty latex gloves.
soap to lube tire on/off rim.
Tube.
Tools for chain adjusters,both sides of axle.
some way to put air in the tire,I use a stripped down K-Mart mini air compressor.
Rag.
Centerstand is very necessary.
valve core remover.

This is the minimum of stuff needed to change a tire at roadside,the good thing is once its fixed,its fixed. A tubeless tire with a plug may or may not hold air on the rest of a trip and many think it should be replaced at that point even if its a new 200.00 tire.

Walking and leaving the bike would have sucked big time.
Maybe good to think about this routine when riding a tube tired road bike.

Some people say they can break the tire loose on one side of the rim while its on the bike,pull the tube out,patch it and stuff it back in with no wheel removal of wheel. Im going to check into this.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #9122
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger

Tire irons.
2 pair of heavy duty latex gloves.
soap to lube tire on/off rim.
Tube.
Tools for chain adjusters,both sides of axle.
some way to put air in the tire,I use a stripped down K-Mart mini air compressor.
Rag.
Centerstand is very necessary.
valve core remover.

This is the minimum of stuff needed to change a tire at roadside...
I need to put a tire kit together myself. I have been putting it off for a while now. Good info!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #9123
Firedawg450
Why did I wait??

Oddometer: 119
Scram Stock headlight

I could probably part with mine - it's just gathering dust. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Also have:

stock shifter
stock driver pegs
stock cans
stock shocks
xtra set of heat shields
stock handle bars

Anyone need anything, drop me a note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeds
Actually, my inspiration was a photo of a beaten up Brough Superior with two huge headlights. For the life of me, I can't find that pic anymore. It looked strange, but just screamed "purpose built". Serious battle axe. That's where I'm headed.

Now I just need to find somebody's Scram headlight from a 7" conversion. There are aftermarket dual lights, but not in the right style...
Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #9124
Heatwave
Obsessive-Compulsive

Oddometer: 86
Upgrades!

With the lousy weather this week I was able to pass the time by adding some goodies to my new Scrambler. Tomorrow will hopefully be nice so I am hoping to get a few more miles in and give everything a proper test.

First up was the clock from CLOCKS4BIKES.COM. Ross and Linda have a great product and even better customer service.

After chasing the mailman down today I was able to get my NEWBONNEVILLE idiot light kit and Dart windscreen. I have not seen any instruction pictures so I thought I would add a few in case anyone is on the fence. The instructions included with the bulbs starts you out by removing the headlight, but I did not think that was right for the Scram.

I disconnected the negative terminal on my battery since I read someone blowing a fuse during the install. Then remove the two acorn screws under the speedo and the four allen bolts that attach to the handlebars.

Once you carefully separate the black bottom housing from the silver gauge
holder push the rubber boot up so you can pop out the chrome ring / lens. Once the lens was out I pulled the rubber plug out of the housing for a bit more room.

Now the fun part starts. Roll the rubber sleeve down as far as you can to expose the bulb. I used a piece of clean brake bleed hose pushed down over the existing bulb to help pull it out. Several minutes of swearing and the bulb will eventually come out. Then insert the LED.

The rubber boot has some guide ridges for both the lens and housing so it installs snug. I checked each light before reinstalling each lens to make sure all was okay.

Reassembly was a pain since you have to make sure the wiring harness fits into the cutouts, and the two washers stay on the internal speedo bolts. A small dab of silicone on the washers kept them in place. Once it was all buttoned up the assembly was a little wobbly so I redid it... still wobbly but everything seems sealed properly.

The Dart screen was pretty simple as were the Street Triple bar end mirrors.

Last but not least was the brake reservoir. I was a bit apprehensive to install it but I have bled brakes before so I thought I would give it a go. I sucked all the fluid out of the reservoir with a syringe then popped the new one on. Using JVB's brake bleed tutorial I did the pump / crack / tighten / release / repeat method. I refilled the reservoir four times and only had bubbles mid way through the second refill. The lever feels solid but just in case I will leave the lever engaged overnight. I keep reading about this approach so I figured it couldn't hurt.

The end result...

I ordered a left lever mount from a Sprint so I can clean up the left side mirror hole, but need to find something for the right hand side mirror hole since that holds down the reservoir bracket. I am hoping I can find a button head bolt in the proper size (M10 x 1.25) or it looks like mirror plugs from NewBonnie.

My engine bars and headlight grill are still on backorder put that should about do it. I still need to find a way to stiffen up the luggage rack but since I know nothing about welding I will try to be creative. I was thinking an OD green Pelican case might look good and provide a bit of lockable storage. Another day I guess...

Ride safe!
Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #9125
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Good info there Foot Dragger - I've been dreading a flat for the past two and half years because I ride my Scram in some pretty remote areas w/o cell coverage... My mechanical skills are only fair - I've never changed a motorcycle tire myself... Time to get busy and learn I guess.

Would really be nice to have a plug & compressor setup though. Much easier...
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #9126
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

The Keller Ferry across Lake Roosevelt here in Washington State earlier today. Terrific bike road up from the lake to the vast Columbia Plateau after leaving the ferry too...
Old 05-16-2010, 12:14 AM   #9127
50msns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by M700

The Keller Ferry across Lake Roosevelt here in Washington State earlier today. Terrific bike road up from the lake to the vast Columbia Plateau after leaving the ferry too...
About an hour from my house.
50msns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:39 AM   #9128
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,079
Hiya Mista Vern , found myself in your back yard again today.
I know that the blue one is fastest, but the green looks pretty fast here:

I still say that the green one looks best dirty.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #9129
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoChicken

Great shots
Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #9130
sirclive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
sorely pleased

Nice pics GRizzly.

I just picked one up Friday>

Dave
sirclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #9131
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

NoPoChicken - great action shots!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #9132
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,273
Heatwave, Like the look of those mirrors. How do they work? Been thru four sets of mirrors and I still have not found a set I like.

British Customs makes a set of control clamps minus the mirror mounts. I have a set that came with my bike, I have been holding on to them in case I decide to go with bar-end mirrors.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #9133
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
So I got a rear flat on the Scrambler yesterday,

the swingarm needed to be spread slightly to get the wheel in,
I find it advantageous to completely remove the RH chain tensioner. You can then get everything else in line and push the spindle through up the end of the last spacer then thread the adjuster back in whilst easing the swingarm apart slightly.
I'm thinking of getting both spacers turned down 0.5mm each to make it all easier.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #9134
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

How many miles have you riders accumulated on your Scramblers?

Turned 11,078 on mine yesterday, going into my third summer with this bike.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #9135

Oddometer: 5,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D
Heatwave, Like the look of those mirrors. How do they work?
I run the same ones on my Triple and I love them. Good visibility for a small bar end mirror. IMO the style is not quite right for the classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote