Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #9196
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35
With this farkle you saved me a lot of pain in the right foot. It was broken and never healed right. I was ready to do some fancy R footpeg farkling when I found your post and with a 1/2 hour work my woes where cured; at least on the Scrambler.

My situation is that I've got a crap left knee (old injury, never healed right) so I have to put most of my weight on my right leg but found that I was getting more pain in my right knee because it was forced outwards by the exhaust. Made off roading a sitting down operation which is not always good for bike control. What's that old proverb? Necessity is the mother of all invention.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #9197
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLX200
- except Triumph dealer is telling me the footpeg is out of stock until end June Looking at alternatives.

Ooops! Beware slippery fords.

Try Oberon pegs http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...Scrambler.html . UK made and fit straight on. You'll need the studded ones for wet off roading to stop your feet slipping off. Only problem is they're quite short so you may need to get some spacers made as per my farkle a few posts above.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #9198
Mats
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
2500 so far. I think I can get a little more out of it. Still very disappointing in the life of the rear. The front is wearing like a champ, just like I expected. I think the 130 must be a different tire from the 140. It looks like the 130 is the only one that has such a short life. I think I'll squeeze a 140 on the rear later this year and see what happens. I haven't read about anyone having complaints about any 140 rear on the Scrambler. Most people can't notice the difference.
Hey wiseanhyzer!
Not sure this counts as a complaint but I had a 140 on the rear of my scram and changed back to 130 and the bike felt much nimbler and handled better. But since the tyres were different makes I figured that was the reason maybe, I don't know. But I'll stick to 130 rears I think.
I now have a 130 K60 on and I'm happy with it. It's cheap...like me.
Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #9199
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Thanks Mats! That stinks. I really like the K60, but the 130 rear has worn out too quickly. Not sure what I'll do then...

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #9200
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Great pics, Max! If you were in Lakeview you were truly in the back of beyond - that is some rough and bleak country. Luckily your gear and that crude makeshift camp made it more bearable!
Yes Vern, roughing it! HEHEHEHEHEH
We almost used this base camp but we thought better of it.
Lakeview is remote. Funny, we ate mucho good food in small towns for cheap.
Thank you small Oregon towns.
And my Scrambler was always the bike talked about by the old timers.

On a gear note, my cross brace worked ok.
But as this picture shows the rack bolt heads rest on the corners of the brace, which caused minor side to side rocking of my panniers/rack/seat/fender.
Yes the seat rocks from side to side as does the fender (argh).
I will make up another bracket with frame support along with fender support for more solid mounting.
My test piece will be of shaped wood which would be good at shock absorption, but the final piece will be of aluminum, rubber mounted...
Fender support alone is not the answer IMO.
Beautiful solo seat in looks, but suck ass in function.

Cordura nylon in mucho rain...
Tour Master saddle bags stayed dry inside. Moto-Fizz tailbag leaked slightly, and the Triumph tank bag leaked through the top, and soaked my maps. I never got the opportunity to use the rain covers which would of eliminated the leakage.
The map pocket opening on top of the Triumph tankbag is to small to insert a map without shredding it just to put it in. Grrr...
Oh, the hole for the gas cap is not located properly in the tank bag mount.
Makes the bag want to lean to the right, again argh.
IMO most all Triumph accessories are shit. Don't start me.
The Triumph demo day people did not want to hear about it...

My rear Trail Wing is thin at 3200 miles.

Vern, hope to run into you at Wallowa.
Cheers
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #9201
geo-k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I think that 's the "oily ragger"! It's a low tech version of a Loobman.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #9202
Edgewise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
My situation is that I've got a crap left knee (old injury, never healed right) so I have to put most of my weight on my right leg but found that I was getting more pain in my right knee because it was forced outwards by the exhaust. Made off roading a sitting down operation which is not always good for bike control. What's that old proverb? Necessity is the mother of all invention.
Or, as my brother used to say, "Necessity is a mother."
Old 05-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #9203
Edgewise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Footpegs

I've had good luck with the footpegs NoPoChicken mentioned a few posts back:
http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...Scrambler.html

They are plenty long enough that my feet stay put through the bouncy stuff, and I don't burn my knee on the exhaust pipes. And so far the pegs haven't broken, like the OEM'S used to do, even though my bike takes so many naps that it must think its in kindergarten.

On a related note, the last time my bike suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome it broke off the rear brake lever. The lever itself didn't break, but the bolt the lever pivots on broke, right where it threads into the frame. Does anybody have a quick and dirty way of getting the threaded portion out? I guess I can take the whole thing apart (take off the frame piece that supports the footpeg, the brake lever and the brake reservoir). Then I could drill it from the inside and use an easy out. But I'd rather cheat if anybody knows a trick.

Actually, it was a fun ride, if a bit short. I was climbing up my "driveway" which is a quarter mile of 20 degree grade, complete with right angle switchbacks, gullies, craters, and fist sized rocks. (Note to self: Gotta' fix that road.)

My scram wanted to check out what was at the bottom of the steep canyon off one side of the "road", but I convinced it to lie down on the gravel and think about it for a while. Then I picked the bike up and coasted back down to my gate so I could get a running start.

When I went to stop at the bottom, where the grade wasn't quite so steep, that's when I discovered the foot brake lever was all loose and floppy. The front brake worked fine, however, so .... Well, it was not a pretty sight. So, anybody know any tricks?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #9204
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Mini bike lift

Ok, I can't remember the details or name, but there was something a long while ago about a mini pocket sized bike lift to elevate the rear wheel.

Anyone remember that, or how I can get one?

Thanks.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #9205
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Fyi:

Finishing today's(?) time traveling journey, I landed in Hawaii a full 9 hours before I took off. Now in a place where I get cell service, my phone buzzed saying I had new voicemails. It was my my claim's agent from Geico, telling me he took a look at my bike today but "because it's so new, and because it's a Triumph," the parts don't show up in his appraisal database, so he can't give me an accurate damage quote yet. Apparently he's going to have to do things the old fashioned way and actually research parts ("during breaks and in between assignments") and will get back to me.

So, in the unfortunate chance that any of you damage your bikes and actually file an insurance claim for it...be prepared to wait, because no one knows anything about our Scrams, especially the companies that probably should.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #9206
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
All these sleepy Scramblers and footpegs. Sorry to hear about the drops lately.

If anyone needs a left side rider footpeg, PM me. I just sold my left one to someone who needed it.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #9207
blastmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2v0Rx2owI8

http://www.mp-foorumi.com/gallery/pi...796b16c51c.jpg

http://www.mp-foorumi.com/gallery/pi...fb5b5d7858.jpg

http://www.mp-foorumi.com/gallery/pi...3cbd7f2e64.jpg

blastmaster screwed with this post 05-20-2010 at 08:38 PM
blastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #9208
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastmaster
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #9209
arewethereyet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormley Green
+1 Niiiiiiiice
arewethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #9210
zane121
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Put my Protaper SE High Bars on today. Very nice and comfortable. I can stand on the pegs and have control and the width is nice too. My mirrors now work! I can actually see behind me..lol.. The cable all fit fine.