Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #9241
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
Yeah, that seemed odd to me too. I'm pretty sure that not too much has changed from year to year, and that except for the gas tank, he could look up the parts for everything from an '06 scram, and everything would fit. Bet if it was a Harley or a GSX-R 1000, he'd have no problems finding parts.

$800 for just the shifter shaft? Wow! Makes me wonder how much replacing the clutch cam and the rest of my internal damages would cost. Like you, it's only those mechanical bits that I called the insurance in on to help pay for. Scratches and dents only give the bike character and I could use that money for new gear and farkles. I too want better stuff than stock if it's just being replaced.

If my seat is scratched, let me buy the solo seat. Let me swap out the headlamp bucket for one that has a working lens. Let me go to NewBonneville.com and use their turn signals instead of my own. Let me swap out the handlebars for something else. Let me get the Tiger 1050's barends so that the Tiger's handguards I bought will bolt up easier. All of these things are damaged and will be anyways, so let me replace them with what I want. It is my bike afterall.

I think it differs from company to company, but Geico (or maybe it was USAA) has a $3000 limit on how much they will pay out to the individual instead of to a shop. I've already told them I planned on doing several of the repairs myself, and as soon as this guy starts talking money to me, I'll start pushing for me to get the check.
Yeah, I used some of the money to upgrade my gear as well. As you say, it is my bike after all, but actually in my case the bank technically owns it...
It just seemed ridiculous to replace scratched lens caps and muffler guards and similar items when I intend to continue riding it like I do! (and by that I mean "being ridden by a noob, who insists on pretending that it is a dual sport " - to which I have fully subscribed )
Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #9242
zane121
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Those SE bars look like a good set up,are they the tall model? I know they come in low medium and high.
Thanks!
High. I'm 6'1" and I can stand on the pegs without bending over too much.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #9243
blastmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8DoAxM2TSk
blastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #9244
ivara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeds
What says the collective?

I, for one, am diggin' it.
these twin 3,75" lights were on my Bonnie when I bought it. With stock bars, blinker locations etc , IMO it looked downright dorky. So I put the stock 7" back on.

Then I went down and scratched up the stock headlight, so back on with the twins. Looked much better with low bars, relocated blinkers and a cut-down dart shield. (But still not what I wanted, so now back to the 7" headlight with Hella internals)
ivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #9245
ivara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Over here we have things called "easy outs". These things are like a thread tap and have a very coarse reverse thread on them. You drill a hole down the centre of the piece you want to remove and tap/screw one of the easy outs in and it will/should undo.
careful with those EZ outs, the tapered shape can jam the broken bolt into the threads and cause the EZ out to break. And those hardened buggers' a PITA to drill out

http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html
ivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #9246
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
Some people talked about the need for a tire repair solution for their bikes, I found this today:

http://www.advdesigns.net/adtipu.html

The nice thing is it appears you can order one package that has everything you need vs ordering bits and pieces from everywhere.
That is nice kit for tire repair,I (being a cheap sod) have stripped the outer case off a 12.00 mini compressor from K-Mart, It ends up being tiny,a few wires get soldered together,I removed and plugged the hole for the gauge as it leaked and the pump seems to be reliable so far. It slowly got my rear tire up to 60 lbs or so and popped the bead out. My air gauge is a very small but accurate Victor industries gauge. Much like back packing everything needs to be small in a bike repair kit. I'd like to find a good patch kit as I dont think my bicycle patch kits are beefy enough.

Really the centerstand is a key issue,Im not sure Id trust a crutch to hold up a 500+ lb bike while I dirt wrestle a wheel back on. If something slipped and the bike fell on you it would be game over and lights out.
I know they can work but....................
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #9247
arewethereyet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
AZRat Pack Ride the Devils Highway

Had a great trip out to route 191 (Devils Highway) this past week-end with a few of the AZ Rat Pack. AZ RAT Pack dot com

The Good: Bikes, Burning Rubber & BS
The Bad: 1 low side (not me), nasty 50-60 mph gusts of wind, and a K&N oil filter blow-out.
All in all great bloody trip with some memorable roads, beer chat & BS.

Here's a tiny few pictures I took as I shot mainly video:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...view=slideshow

Here's a lazy edit of the Scrammy chasing a mate on a Speed triple:
http://vimeo.com/11988744

Going to work today after riding all week-end blows goats.

Metzler Tourances get a huuuge thumbs-up from me as I'd just switched to them for this trip ( that's a whole other story that involves leaving a rim protector IN the tire and tearing through 2 tubes over 4 days to figure it out...doah!) Held-out great on 90mph sweepers and stuck like glue in the loose tight twisties +1

P.S. Video mount took a Scrammy beating so the video is dead wonky. Need to look into firming-up that bad boy.

Cheers
Peter
arewethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #9248
Schmeds
scarce

Oddometer: 6,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivara
these twin 3,75" lights were on my Bonnie when I bought it. With stock bars, blinker locations etc , IMO it looked downright dorky. So I put the stock 7" back on.

Then I went down and scratched up the stock headlight, so back on with the twins. Looked much better with low bars, relocated blinkers and a cut-down dart shield. (But still not what I wanted, so now back to the 7" headlight with Hella internals)

Hm. Yeah. Those aren't doin' it for me.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #9249
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,951
Techkiller, what a cool way to get your bike home! Hwy. 12 is a pretty cool road for sure, and it looks like you killed plenty of bugs - good thing it wasn't grasshopper season yet!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #9250
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeds
Hm. Yeah. Those aren't doin' it for me.
I would like to point out it doesn't matter what we think as long as you (the owner) like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Techkiller, what a cool way to get your bike home! Hwy. 12 is a pretty cool road for sure, and it looks like you killed plenty of bugs - good thing it wasn't grasshopper season yet!
Mmmm...drive through meal!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #9251
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoChicken
Yeah, I used some of the money to upgrade my gear as well. As you say, it is my bike after all, but actually in my case the bank technically owns it...
It just seemed ridiculous to replace scratched lens caps and muffler guards and similar items when I intend to continue riding it like I do! (and by that I mean "being ridden by a noob, who insists on pretending that it is a dual sport " - to which I have fully subscribed )
The bank really owns mine too, but I pay them to let me take it out every now and then. Since they own it, I don't get to cash the insurance check myself. GEICO seems to think I'll spend all the money on and , but they said that if I want to give them a list of the farkles I wanted to replace the OEM stuff with, they'd use those prices instead of Triumph's.

I think I could then tell the shop "don't replace the seat, don't replace the fuel tank, don't replace the shocks, and don't replace the engine cover" and I'd possibly get some money back that way.

Also, I found out that there's such a thing as "Helmet Compensation." Or some similar phrase. Means that since I tore up the helmet when I , I get reimbursed for the cost of my $500+ Shoei X11. (It's an awesome helmet to land on. I barely felt a thing. Definitely buying again.)
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #9252
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by zane121
High. I'm 6'1" and I can stand on the pegs without bending over too much.
But which bend did you go with? I'm looking at their website and on bikebandit, and there's a lot of options. ATV, Carmichael, CR, RW, KTM, Schoolboy, Henry/Reed, etc. I'm 6'4"
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #9253
knine
knine

Oddometer: 12
Freedom Ride 2010

Though some of you Scrambler Fans might want to check out my group on Facebook...I am doing a rambling cross country ride on my Scrambler...Georgia-Idaho..by way of a bunch of states I'm not even too sure about yet..lol....Departure date Tuesday 25 May...The group name is Freedomride 2010...
knine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #9254
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastmaster
Haha. Where'd you go?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #9255
zane121
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
But which bend did you go with? I'm looking at their website and on bikebandit, and there's a lot of options. ATV, Carmichael, CR, RW, KTM, Schoolboy, Henry/Reed, etc. I'm 6'4"
This was the description off of ebay where I bought them.
Pro Taper SE 7/8" handlebars ATV HIGH BLACK
Width-inches - 32.00Width-mm - 813
Height-inches - 6.30Height-mm 160
Pullback-inches - 3.94Pullback-mm - 100

Manufacturers Item Number - 025257 TR