Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #9271
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Good tip - I'll put mine back on!!
Me too until I find some crash bungs to fit.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #9272
Skidplate865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Side-stand lean?

First let me apologize for the huge fuzzy pics - my camera has gone insane. This is just an FYI for anyone who notices their Scrambler starting to lean a little further over than usual on the side-stand. I went on the Berkshires Dual Sport ride this past weekend and hit a few rocks REAL, REAL HARD. One or two must have hit the side stand, because the bike was leaning a little further every time I put the kick stand down. When I got home, I put her up on the lift and removed the side stand. I found that the flange at the end of the side stand had spread apart a bit and the bolt had broken in the middle (pic below).

I heated up the side stand and smacked it with a 3.5lb sledge until it got straight, but I didn't have a replacement bolt. I took a 10mm frame bolt that I bought used ($3) from a bike shop and made a sleeve out of steel for the 12mm shaft part (pics below)

It was a very good fit and the side-stand was rock solid again. The bike was leaning at the correct angle.

Today I stopped by the Dealer downtown and asked if they had the bolt in stock. I wasn't really expecting them to have it - in fact I ordered it through bikebandit last night. THEY HAD IT IN STOCK! Not only was it in stock, it was cheaper! I almost fell over.

Now she's back to spec, and I'm holding on to my spare home-made bolt set up.
Skidplate865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #9273
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,225
The pivot bolt breaking does not suprise me at all the rattling around it does. What a poor design that is, It looks like they took a stand off another model and just made it fit, Barely.

I am going to machine a better bolt sometime soon to take care of this. I was even thinking of putting a bronze bushing in place to allow for wear.

Once I get it built I will post some pics.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #9274
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Nice! Another reason I ride in a full face helmet.
I have a fullface, and on that one evening of the trip it would have been nice to have. BUT, honestly you probably can see 75% more with an open face. You have better peripheral vision and way more below you I never would have been able to read my tank map with my fullface on.
Also
It's better in the wind.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #9275
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by technikiller
I have a fullface, and on that one evening of the trip it would have been nice to have. BUT, honestly you probably can see 75% more with an open face. You have better peripheral vision and way more below you I never would have been able to read my tank map with my fullface on.
Also
It's better in the wind.
What full face do you have? My X11 doesn't block any of my peripheral vision unless my eyes are looking so far to the side it hurts, and the helmet only blocks the lower stuff about as much as my hands do when I'm eating Wendy's Baconator burger, and only really affects me if I'm reaching into a chest pocket.

I'm not seeing a 75% difference there. Maybe the open face would make that pun a little more funny .

(Let's not turn this into a helmet debate again like it did a few weeks ago.)
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #9276

Oddometer: 5,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidplate865
I went on the Berkshires Dual Sport ride this past weekend and hit a few rocks REAL, REAL HARD. set up.
Understatement of the decade.

To put this in perspective for you all. He was following DRZ'z and KTM's through hero sections and blazing new trails around downed trees.

Thanks for the tip on the side stand bolt. Mine has been leaning a little more lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #9277
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
Understatement of the decade.

To put this in perspective for you all. He was following DRZ'z and KTM's through hero sections and blazing new trails around downed trees.

Thanks for the tip on the side stand bolt. Mine has been leaning a little more lately.
I feel bad for the DRZ and KTM riders then, think about how much money they could have saved and have a better looking bike!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #9278
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
Awesome. I love the reflection of the track ahead & speedo & tach in your helmet on the 2nd pic here...
Helmet and bike look absolutely bad a$$. Hands down. Very cool.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #9279
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by technikiller
Also
It's better in the wind.
All reasonable points to be sure.

However, I would rather work my way around these inconveniences wearing a full face helmet, knowing that in the event of an off I stand a good chance of keeping my lower jaw right where it should be. After all, its only got to save you once and its worth it, IMHO
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #9280

Oddometer: 5,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
I feel bad for the DRZ and KTM riders then, think about how much money they could have saved and have a better looking bike!
Lucky for me I can have both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #9281
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
All reasonable points to be sure.

However, I would rather work my way around these inconveniences wearing a full face helmet, knowing that in the event of an off I stand a good chance of keeping my lower jaw right where it should be. After all, its only got to save you once and its worth it, IMHO

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to convince anyone they should wear an open face instead. I just prefer it.

To each his own.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #9282
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Bonnie & trailer

I have alraedy written about it, but this time it is really "Triumph friendly edition" :

Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #9283
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
Awesome. I love the reflection of the track ahead & speedo & tach in your helmet on the 2nd pic here...
Aint that strange, I noticed the tacho but never noticed the track ahead until you mentioned it... doh! Just goes to show, some things just stare you in the face but sometimes you dont see the wood for the trees!!!
Anyway, thanks for all the positive comment guys, I was out there 'wavin' the flag' and ridin' for you all in this tight community of Scrambler owners!

BTW, the Bonnie and trailer above is so cool it's not funny! Where do I get one?

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #9284
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
The bank really owns mine too, but I pay them to let me take it out every now and then. Since they own it, I don't get to cash the insurance check myself. GEICO seems to think I'll spend all the money on and , but they said that if I want to give them a list of the farkles I wanted to replace the OEM stuff with, they'd use those prices instead of Triumph's.

I think I could then tell the shop "don't replace the seat, don't replace the fuel tank, don't replace the shocks, and don't replace the engine cover" and I'd possibly get some money back that way.

Also, I found out that there's such a thing as "Helmet Compensation." Or some similar phrase. Means that since I tore up the helmet when I , I get reimbursed for the cost of my $500+ Shoei X11. (It's an awesome helmet to land on. I barely felt a thing. Definitely buying again.)
ah, but in my experience you can not instruct the shop to do other than the insurance company dictates, as in they don't want to piss anyone off or accept liability for swapping parts after the check has been cut. That's why it had to come to me so the shop would not be libel. But I am talking about a dealership and other shops may have more flexibility. While they sympathized with me, they couldn't put their reputation, etc. on the line.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:15 AM   #9285
britishbangers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Pull behind trailers

Hello Grizzlybear,

Here is the info for the the pull along/ behind trailers
www.racewayservices.com/raceway/enfield.shtm

Hope this helps.

Take care and stay well.

Reg,

Jojil