Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #9301
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Just got a call from the insurance company. My bike is just a few hundred away from being considered totaled (which for a 2010 Scrambler that has approx 1000 miles, they say is at $6300 in damage.) If I went and had them total it, I'd no longer have to make bike payments on it, but I'd still have to pay for repairs, so I really don't want it to be totaled (even though not having a bike payment would be nice.) Instead, they're going to leave the seat, fuel tank, and the rear shock alone, and as a result, repair costs will lower, and so will my deductible.

Estimated at parts +1 week for repairs, unfortunately it could take as long as 2-3 weeks for parts to arrive. Guess I'm not doing the SaddleSore next month. Even my coast to coast trip is looking iffy, especially since I still need those saddlebag mounts made.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #9302
BusinessSocks
A real Trucker Cap

Oddometer: 59
Head Pipes

Triumph head pipes change colors. We all know that, but how far does the color change travel down the length of the pipe?

I have an efi bike with 4,600 miles and dealer installed off-road mufflers. My discoloration has made it beyond the bend in the pipes situated behind the first section of heat shield. Is that normal? How far has your discoloration traveled?

BusinessSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #9303
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,927
Here is my latest brainstorm for silencing my beloved centerstand.

Delrin, a hard plastic is what I made it of. Doesn't crack, slightly compressible, and a dremel will carve it to size.

I got a couple of 2"x2"x1/4" blocks for $2.50. Plenty for another one.
I only did one side of the centerstand.
I ease bike bike off the stand to prevent slamming on the Delrin.
The rubber I used previously broke down - we'll see how long the Delrin lasts!
But my centerstand is quiet for now.

My under seat rack stiffener is being fabbed up now...
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #9304
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
Just got a call from the insurance company. My bike is just a few hundred away from being considered totaled (which for a 2010 Scrambler that has approx 1000 miles, they say is at $6300 in damage.) If I went and had them total it, I'd no longer have to make bike payments on it, but I'd still have to pay for repairs, so I really don't want it to be totaled (even though not having a bike payment would be nice.) Instead, they're going to leave the seat, fuel tank, and the rear shock alone, and as a result, repair costs will lower, and so will my deductible.

Estimated at parts +1 week for repairs, unfortunately it could take as long as 2-3 weeks for parts to arrive. Guess I'm not doing the SaddleSore next month. Even my coast to coast trip is looking iffy, especially since I still need those saddlebag mounts made.
Having a spare maybe cheap bike is a good thing,My DR650 I bought lightly used is a perfectly good road bike for long trips with the right farkles-seat-suspension-etc. Sucks to be with out any bike to ride.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #9305
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Having a spare maybe cheap bike is a good thing,My DR650 I bought lightly used is a perfectly good road bike for long trips with the right farkles-seat-suspension-etc. Sucks to be with out any bike to ride.
I will say that this looks tempting as a second bike, and there's this too. But I don't really need that many vehicles when I'm gone as often as I am. Beginning of June, I'm spending 10 days traveling around Africa, so it's not like I could ride during that time anyways. (Oh but how I'd love to take a bike on safari across Kenya or South Africa.)
Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #9306
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessSocks
Triumph head pipes change colors. We all know that, but how far does the color change travel down the length of the pipe?

I have an efi bike with 4,600 miles and dealer installed off-road mufflers. My discoloration has made it beyond the bend in the pipes situated behind the first section of heat shield. Is that normal? How far has your discoloration traveled?

Removing the AI system is supposed to prevent some of the header discoloration. I did it immediately after bringing my bike home. HERE is the kit I used. Did the dealer remap the EFI when he installed the off-road pipes? I don't know if it's required, just asking.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #9307
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
Removing the AI system is supposed to prevent some of the header discoloration. I did it immediately after bringing my bike home. HERE is the kit I used. Did the dealer remap the EFI when he installed the off-road pipes? I don't know if it's required, just asking.
But I thought Triumph warns of not removing AI on the EFI's? I know it can be done, but it's like launching a pig from a cannon to make it fly: it could be pretty messy later on, and there's still no promise of bacon when it's all said and done.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #9308
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
But I thought Triumph warns of not removing AI on the EFI's? I know it can be done, but it's like launching a pig from a cannon to make it fly: it could be pretty messy later on, and there's still no promise of bacon when it's all said and done.

I know that plenty of EFI owners are doing it. Could be unwise, I don't know. It didn't hurt my carbed Scrambler any, but I don't know if it helped any either.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #9309
Whiskytoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Thinking about taking the plunge

I just did my MSF course last weekend, that was a blast. This is gonna be my first bike.
I'm in Phoenix. Does anybody have any dealership advise, will they deal at all? Things to shoot for, fair price ect.
Whiskytoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #9310
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskytoast
I just did my MSF course last weekend, that was a blast. This is gonna be my first bike.
I'm in Phoenix. Does anybody have any dealership advise, will they deal at all? Things to shoot for, fair price ect.
Cycle dealers don't have the same amount of room to negotiate with on price as car dealers do. I was lucky with mine, because the dealer had mistyped the price online. Ended up buying the Scram for $800 off, which took it to practically at dealer cost. I've heard good stories from people who have managed to get the dealer to toss in free gear with the bike, and I know Triumph often gives away $X in gear or accessories when you buy a certain one of their bikes.

Best advice, treat it like you do when you buy a car. See what you can talk them into, and if you don't like it, walk away and head to another. There's lots of other dealers out there, and they all sell the same bikes.

Welcome to the asylum!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #9311
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

My $1000 deductible will be dropped to $475, and they're going to send me a check for a little over $800 to reimburse me for my helmet and the towing expenses. So I think that kinda means that they're paying my deductible for me.

The adjuster will finish all the paperwork and should get the checks sent out tomorrow, letting the shop start ordering parts on Tuesday, and sometime around the end of June I can be again!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #9312
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,387
Quote:

Hell of a fun first bike, and good for you! You might ask about dealers in the regionals and see if anyone has any advice. Although the bikes are all the same, it is really nice to find a good dealer that is someone you want to work with over the long term for parts, repairs, and such.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #9313
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,927
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #9314
arewethereyet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Whisky, there's ony 2 dealers left here in the Phoenix met area. The other "TSS" (the fave) has since closed. A few of the folks from TSS are now at the one in Scottsdale.

here's the links to both dealers:
http://www.azsbk.com/triumph.html
http://www.goaz.com/bmw_ducati_ktm_t...&brand=triumph

Good luck mate as this is a great bike you're jumpin' on :)
Don't forget to check out the AZ Rat Pack either at:
http://azratpack.proboards.com/index.cgi

Cheers
Peter
arewethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #9315
BusinessSocks
A real Trucker Cap

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
You would think the dealer would remap the efi, but I'm beginning to wonder whether they did or not.

I considered removing the AI system, but I'm not sure how that would affect the warranty. I may just let it go and see how discolored I can get them.

Anybody else got extremely discolored head pipes?
BusinessSocks is offline   Reply With Quote