Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #9406
sirclive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
I'm planning on doing a cross-country road trip this summer, and needed a spare fuel solution for the time in Death Valley (and maybe a few other places too, who knows?) Went to an Army Surplus store, and found a cool looking old 5l gerry can that matches the bike pretty well, and I'm having the shop fab up a bracket for it. Should look similar to the coke box, and mounted to both the front footpeg bracket and to the rear footpeg itself. Or something like that.
Good to see you starting the kids out young!
seen these?

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-114-pegpacker.aspx

dave
sirclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #9407
MarcoETVitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
http://rocket-garage.blogspot.com/20...egolarita.html

MarcoETVitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #9408
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirclive
I've seen that one, and I've seen the Klopin one that Bikebits used for his TransLabrador Highway trip (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3752) but with the matte green color of the bike, I'm trying to make it look as military as possible, and my little fuel can fits the bill. And the bracket I'm having them do is simple enough that I could do it myself, if I had any way of doing my own metalwork. And mine also matches pretty well with the ammo cans I'll be using for panniers.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #9409
sirclive
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
I've seen that one, and I've seen the Klopin one that Bikebits used for his TransLabrador Highway trip (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3752) but with the matte green color of the bike, I'm trying to make it look as military as possible, and my little fuel can fits the bill. And the bracket I'm having them do is simple enough that I could do it myself, if I had any way of doing my own metalwork. And mine also matches pretty well with the ammo cans I'll be using for panniers.
makes sense. It will look the part.
This is a great thread. loads of info.
borrow my bike if you get desperate.
Bests
Dave
Old 06-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #9410
TheNaker
El Vagabondo

Oddometer: 90
New Scrambler Report

Last weekend I picked up a 2008 Scrambler with only 10 miles on it. I had to fly from Toronto to South Dakota to pick it up. I then rode it home 1,450 miles over 2 days.

First a brief history on my choice:
Ive been a long time airhead fan and have done several long distance trips on an R100GS (down through Baja, north to Inuvik and Alaska etc). As I was planning this years upgrades to my 94 R100GS, I realized it may be time to get something that is more modern and requires less upgrading. My GS to-do list included upgraded charging system, rebuilt transmission with higher 5th gear, rebuilt and greasable driveshaft, cartridge emulators, rear shock, etc Rather than doing all of this, I figured I could sell the 16 year old GS and get the Scrambler for the same amount. And I did just that.

I wanted a carb Scrambler and lucked into finding a 2008 that was bought by a collector who thought the bike would appreciate in value because it was expected to be discontinued. We all know the model wasnt discontinued and the collector decided to sell.

I bought the bike from Power Brokers Inc. in Sioux Falls, SD (powerbrokersinc.com). Dusty went above and beyond what would be expected in making the transaction fantastic. He and the owner, Jim, made their workshop and tools available to me so I could fit the necessary accessories for my 1,500 mile trip home. These guys run a great operation and all ride bikes. I cant say enough about this shop.

First step on arriving at the dealer was to fit my accessories. They included a Renntec Rack (bought from Revs Performance (revsperformance.com) as they had it in stock and for a better price than New Bonneville), Dart Fly screen from New Bonneville, my old trusty GPS hardwired, power outlet for my electric vest and an auxiliary gas tank from Tourtank.com.

All of these accessories have been covered elsewhere except the auxiliary tank. I ordered the 3 gallon tank with the anti-spill breather and the 5/16 Fuel System Connection Kit. The first thing I did was remove the seat and gas tank (very easy). Next I spliced into the fuel line between the tank and the carbs. I added the brass T fitting. From here, I routed the new fuel line towards the back of the bike and installed the fuel filter and shutoff valve. Then I connected up the tank and fitted it to the Renntac rack using SS clamps. Ill figure out a quick release system over the next few weeks. This set-up worked beautifully. I would fill up both tanks at once and turn the fuel petcock on the stock tank to off. This way I could run the aux tank dry first and then switch on the stock tank and still have reserve after that. The 3 gallon aux tank typically held 2.7 gallons and took me 100 miles (I was going 73 mph) when the bike sputtered I just switch the regular tank on. So far I am extremely pleased with this set-up and wish I had considered this on past bikes. Bill at Tour Tank offered great customer service and somehow rushed my order to make it in time for this trip.

Once all the accessories were installed, I prepared to heat back to Toronto. To make it interesting I decided to go north to Duluth and then east across the northern peninsula of Michigan, cross the Mackinaw Bridge, stop in to visit a buddy and then cross at Detroit and head for home. Jim, the owner of Power Brokers, offered to help me plan the 6-7 hour ride to Duluth on backroads. In the end, he decided to come with me and rode all the way to Duluth so he could stay the night and then turn around and head home (thats my kind of rider!). I continued on and saw all of the great lakes over the 48 hours of my trip. The bike handled beautifully and was surprisingly comfortable for 10+ hours at a time (although I did use my Airhawk). I was impressed that neither my back or shoulders got sore. I took the time to do a few runs down some National Forest recreational trails in Wisconsin. It handled quite well.

Below is Jim, owner of Power Brokers

Camping - hardcore

The northern tip of Lake Michigan

The Mackinaw Bridge

I completed the trip as planned with no problems and returned home a solid fan of this incredible and underrated motorcycle. Im looking forward to many good long trips, weekend rides and daily errands.

Finally home

Sorry for the run-on post but I hope it is helpful/informative.

Sean
Old 06-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #9411
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaker
I completed the trip as planned with no problems and returned home a solid fan of this incredible and underrated motorcycle. Im looking forward to many good long trips, weekend rides and daily errands.

Sean
Here here... Congrats on your new ride!

Nice trip.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #9412
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
I like following those riders... fun stuff.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #9413
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,510
TheNaker, very cool stuff and excellent pics!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #9414
sirclive
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout
I like following those riders... fun stuff.
love this pic

(the b/w on in the sand)

http://www.ba-moto.com/home/gallery?album=2&gallery=18
Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #9415
sirclive
Adventurer

Finally home

Sean[/QUOTE]

great post

enjoy

d
Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #9416
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Thumb

Nice...

Love the extra tank.
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #9417
Firedawg450
Why did I wait??

Oddometer: 119
Great story! Welcome to the club - don't let anyone tell you the red and whites aren't the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaker
Last weekend I picked up a 2008 Scrambler with only 10 miles on it. I had to fly from Toronto to South Dakota to pick it up. I then rode it home 1,450 miles over 2 days.

First a brief history on my choice:
Ive been a long time airhead fan and have done several long distance trips on an R100GS (down through Baja, north to Inuvik and Alaska etc). As I was planning this years upgrades to my 94 R100GS, I realized it may be time to get something that is more modern and requires less upgrading. My GS to-do list included upgraded charging system, rebuilt transmission with higher 5th gear, rebuilt and greasable driveshaft, cartridge emulators, rear shock, etc Rather than doing all of this, I figured I could sell the 16 year old GS and get the Scrambler for the same amount. And I did just that.

I wanted a carb Scrambler and lucked into finding a 2008 that was bought by a collector who thought the bike would appreciate in value because it was expected to be discontinued. We all know the model wasnt discontinued and the collector decided to sell.

I bought the bike from Power Brokers Inc. in Sioux Falls, SD (powerbrokersinc.com). Dusty went above and beyond what would be expected in making the transaction fantastic. He and the owner, Jim, made their workshop and tools available to me so I could fit the necessary accessories for my 1,500 mile trip home. These guys run a great operation and all ride bikes. I cant say enough about this shop.

First step on arriving at the dealer was to fit my accessories. They included a Renntec Rack (bought from Revs Performance (revsperformance.com) as they had it in stock and for a better price than New Bonneville), Dart Fly screen from New Bonneville, my old trusty GPS hardwired, power outlet for my electric vest and an auxiliary gas tank from Tourtank.com.

All of these accessories have been covered elsewhere except the auxiliary tank. I ordered the 3 gallon tank with the anti-spill breather and the 5/16 Fuel System Connection Kit. The first thing I did was remove the seat and gas tank (very easy). Next I spliced into the fuel line between the tank and the carbs. I added the brass T fitting. From here, I routed the new fuel line towards the back of the bike and installed the fuel filter and shutoff valve. Then I connected up the tank and fitted it to the Renntac rack using SS clamps. Ill figure out a quick release system over the next few weeks. This set-up worked beautifully. I would fill up both tanks at once and turn the fuel petcock on the stock tank to off. This way I could run the aux tank dry first and then switch on the stock tank and still have reserve after that. The 3 gallon aux tank typically held 2.7 gallons and took me 100 miles (I was going 73 mph) when the bike sputtered I just switch the regular tank on. So far I am extremely pleased with this set-up and wish I had considered this on past bikes. Bill at Tour Tank offered great customer service and somehow rushed my order to make it in time for this trip.

Once all the accessories were installed, I prepared to heat back to Toronto. To make it interesting I decided to go north to Duluth and then east across the northern peninsula of Michigan, cross the Mackinaw Bridge, stop in to visit a buddy and then cross at Detroit and head for home. Jim, the owner of Power Brokers, offered to help me plan the 6-7 hour ride to Duluth on backroads. In the end, he decided to come with me and rode all the way to Duluth so he could stay the night and then turn around and head home (thats my kind of rider!). I continued on and saw all of the great lakes over the 48 hours of my trip. The bike handled beautifully and was surprisingly comfortable for 10+ hours at a time (although I did use my Airhawk). I was impressed that neither my back or shoulders got sore. I took the time to do a few runs down some National Forest recreational trails in Wisconsin. It handled quite well.

Below is Jim, owner of Power Brokers

Camping - hardcore

The northern tip of Lake Michigan

The Mackinaw Bridge

Finally home

Sean
Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #9418
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoETVitaly
Very cool

Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #9419
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
TheNaker, very cool stuff and excellent pics!
I liked The Nakers post also,I thought I would try an airhead beemer a while ago,I bought a crashed R75/6, changed out the frame and forks,rebuilt anything else that needed it along the way. Put 3 months into the effort,got it going and rode it for a while but it just didnt suit me.
I liked the idea of the air cooled brick simple long lasting engine,I kept looking at the Scrambler and sure enough one appeared here. It does have similaritys to an old airhead,isnt really much faster then a good running airhead but is modern in the ways it needs to be and is a nice sounding torquey twin.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #9420
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Sean,

GREAT write up! Congratulations on the new bike and another great trip!
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote