User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #9421
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,920
Good looking bike Marco.
Where does the ISDE style rubber mounted tail light/plate mount come from?
And is the rear tire a 130 or 140?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoETVitaly

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #9422
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Simon, I swapped my bulb for a high output one and it does improve the lighting but I wonder if the problem over the pond is with the pattern of the lens because I have a really good pattern on my LH drive one. The beam is "T" shaped with the lower bit lighting up the near road and the top of the T spreading out in the distance. From what I'm reading on here the US pattern is crap.
Another problem I found is that the lens gets dirty INSIDE which dulls the light output. Apparently the lens comes off and you can clean it inside.
I think the filaments must have been out of position on mine as the headlight originally had no real beam pattern at all. In fact it was so useless that after coming home from Dungeness in the dark last year I swore never again. Now it is completely transformed and I have a really good patern on main and dip.

Of course now the headlamp works the poor old Thruxton will get used even less.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #9423
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,263
While changing the oil today I noticed that the Triumph skid plate rubs on the oil filter by about a 1/4". Is this normal? I will be modifing it pretty soon. I had to use a Fram filter because the Triumph ones were out of stock. Is it possible that its a little taller?

I went ahead and ordered the PIAA lamp #70426. I got it for a little less than $40 shipped. It should be here in the next day or so. I will report on any difference it makes. Any improvement will help, the deer have been out in full force the last few nights.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #9424
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D
While changing the oil today I noticed that the Triumph skid plate rubs on the oil filter by about a 1/4". Is this normal? I will be modifing it pretty soon. I had to use a Fram filter because the Triumph ones were out of stock. Is it possible that its a little taller?
The filter changed size around 2005. If you look here http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/work...tion-551-c.asp they list different filters pre 04 and post 05. Could be you got the wrong one.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #9425
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Pain in the neck? Higher bars a solution?

Took a long ride last Saturday. It was nice but I ended up with a severe pain in my neck by the end of the day. I experienced the same thing coming back from Sturgis last year.

My only thought is that it may be from the fact that the standard seating position puts me in a slightly "leaned forward" position. This means I have to crane my neck upwards slightly in order to see forward. I don't get the pain on short rides but on longer ones, it hits me hard.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem? I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, if that matters.

Wondering also if maybe higher bars (or risers) would help (by allowing me to sit up a little straighter?) Is it possible to fit risers to the Scrambler? I had risers on my Thunderbird but the Scrambler has part of the instrument panel over the handlebars which might make risers difficult.

Anyone have good handlebar recommendations?
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #9426
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoETVitaly
Now that's the stuff!
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #9427
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
Someone posted about VisionX driving lights a day or two back. I look for excuses to ride at night with these fitted!

On the VisionX Solstice 10watt-LED lights, I see they make at least 3 different beam patterns. Spot, flood, and euro. Euro patterns always seemed to make the most sense to me, but I've not run it on a bike. I am curious which pattern you run and your thoughts on how or why it works with a bike. I have considered installing a pair with one synced with low beam and the second with high beam and both of them wired so I have the option of turning them off all together.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #9428
MarcoETVitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I don't know this lamp!

But in Italy there is
http://www.vtmricambi.com/index.php?...t=205&limit=50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
Good looking bike Marco.
Where does the ISDE style rubber mounted tail light/plate mount come from?
And is the rear tire a 130 or 140?
MarcoETVitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #9429
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan
Took a long ride last Saturday. It was nice but I ended up with a severe pain in my neck by the end of the day. I experienced the same thing coming back from Sturgis last year.

My only thought is that it may be from the fact that the standard seating position puts me in a slightly "leaned forward" position. This means I have to crane my neck upwards slightly in order to see forward. I don't get the pain on short rides but on longer ones, it hits me hard.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem? I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, if that matters.

Wondering also if maybe higher bars (or risers) would help (by allowing me to sit up a little straighter?) Is it possible to fit risers to the Scrambler? I had risers on my Thunderbird but the Scrambler has part of the instrument panel over the handlebars which might make risers difficult.

Anyone have good handlebar recommendations?

It might be from holding your head against the wind, and not the handlebars. I noticed the same thing until I put on a windshield ; fixed it right up.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #9430
scramblase
ATGATT -> Met/Isoleucine

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
Triumph accessory crash bars (suitably reinforced) would do a better job and look the goods as an off-roader.
Thanks Grizz, you win the --> Triumph black bars on order.. or should I say 4-6 week backorder going right along with the Renntec backordered rack !
scramblase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #9431
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Bizarrely & coincidentally (and I guess cos I'm considerate like that) I just went out & tested the Triumph engine bars for you all this morning by hitting some sneaky gravel just as I was passing a jeep on a curving single track lane. Walloped the headlight, handlebars and engine crash bar into the rock face on my side of the track. Not high speed but enough to bend the handlebar back & also the engine crash bars, as well as duff up the headlight & brackets. The crash bars stopped short of the engine case; but the problem was it wasn't too difficult later to whack them back into place with a block of wood and a hammer, so the hit there couldn't have been too crazy. My bars aren't reinforced with that joining pipe yet, but they certainly will be now.

btw, Dave, when I got back from testing the crash bars for everyone the mini bike lift had arrived .
I also picked up a speed nut - along with beer supplies - while out and will steal your post-NARK RHS side cover fix. I have a cute wee cosmetic tweak to that mod coming up...pic to come. Obv I wasn't gonna turn back from a beer run just cos I crashed .

Right now I'm gonna have one or two of those beers, cos the end of my middle finger got squished between the brake lever and handlebar, so is now dark purple & seemingly about 150 psi pressure inside. Obviously wasn't quick enough pulling my hand away at the moment of impact. Prolly lose the nail I guess, but that's only temporary. Glad I had decent gloves on. That elk hide is some tough chit against abrasion, otherwise my index finger would have been ground down to bone - at least by the look of the glove & lever.

thistle66 screwed with this post 06-03-2010 at 05:54 PM
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #9432
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,370
Glad it wasn't any worse, Thistle! You may want something stronger than beer tomorrow.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #9433
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
Bizarrely & coincidentally (and I guess cos I'm considerate like that) I just went out & tested the Triumph engine bars for you all this morning by hitting some sneaky gravel just as I was passing a jeep on a curving single track lane. Walloped the headlight, handlebars and engine crash bar into the rock face on my side of the track. Not high speed but enough to bend the handlebar back & also the engine crash bars, as well as duff up the headlight & brackets. The crash bars stopped short of the engine case; but the problem was it wasn't too difficult later to whack them back into place with a block of wood and a hammer, so the hit there couldn't have been too crazy. My bars aren't reinforced with that joining pipe yet, but they certainly will be now.

btw, Dave, when I got back from testing the crash bars for everyone the mini bike lift had arrived .
I also picked up a speed nut - along with beer supplies - while out and will steal your post-NARK RHS side cover fix. I have a cute wee cosmetic tweak to that mod coming up...pic to come. Obv I wasn't gonna turn back from a beer run just cos I crashed .

Right now I'm gonna have one or two of those beers, cos the end of my middle finger got squished between the brake lever and handlebar so is now dark purple & seemingly about 150 psi pressure inside. Obviously wasn't quick enough pulling my hand away at the moment of impact. Prolly lose the nail I guess, but that's only temporary. Glad I had decent gloves on. That elk hide is some tough chit against abrasion, otherwise my index finger would have been ground down to bone - at least by the look of the glove & lever.
From prior similiar experience,drilling a tiny hole in the finger nail if thats part of the filled up with blood area can bring instant relief.Blood may squirt out which can impress the womenfolk.
Not drilling into the nail bed is good.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #9434
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Glad it wasn't any worse, Thistle! You may want something stronger than beer tomorrow.
The only good thing stronger than beer is ... more beer!!
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #9435
TheNaker
El Vagabondo

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by scramblase
Thanks Grizz, you win the --> Triumph black bars on order.. or should I say 4-6 week backorder going right along with the Renntec backordered rack !
Did you try Revs Performance (revsperformance.com) for the Renntec? I believe they are the US importer/distributor. New Bonneville told me it was backordered but a call to Revs and the guy was very helpful and had lots in stock. He shipped quick and was less expensive.