Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #931
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckside
Anyone here do the Speed Triple handlebar swap with their Scrambler?
Yo, Deckside!

There is always discussion regarding bars at Triumph Rat in the Twin Talk forums. Here's a linky to get you started:
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...-possible.html

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #932
George Papadopolis
between

Oddometer: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Yo, Deckside!

There is always discussion regarding bars at Triumph Rat in the Twin Talk forums. Here's a linky to get you started:
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...-possible.html
Howdy Vern. I have been poking around over there thought I would poke here to Whats your handle at triumphrat.net? Mine is is "deckside"
Old 03-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #933
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckside
Howdy Vern. I have been poking around over there thought I would poke here to Whats your handle at triumphrat.net? Mine is is "deckside"
I am such an original guy too - mine is Mista Vern. Are you out at sea now? If so, when are you due back?

Emily Bronte
Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #934
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
Has anyone found a side by side list of what changes were made for the 08 Scrambler vs 07? It would be really nice to find out what they have and havent changed besides the carb/FI and silver/black engine color.

Heaven help us if any journalist wrote about the Scrambler in them newfangled fancy 'magazines' they got now... The only magazine reviews I found are two years old and just parrot the Triumph brochure.

I did find one good magazine: Road Runner. They are an adventure/touring magazine and do a good job of staying away from sportbikes and heavy touring machines. Plus the locations are interesting. The only downside is its bi-monthly

oh and...MORE PICTURES!
New fuel tank and glued-on badges.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #935
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
I just picked up my new Scrambler. I decided to trailer it home rather than put its first miles on it on superslab at 32 degrees. Once off the trailer I took it for a quick spin. The low end torque feels nice, but I wasn't dressed properly and was freezing my ass off. I'd like to remove the AI crap before putting too many miles on her. We'll see if I can hold out until I can get some plugs and bolts, etc.

One thing that was a little disturbing is that it was very hard to start at this temperature. I was told these twins were a little cold blooded, but it really took some time on the ignition switch. Is this common? Seemed like the battery may not have gotten a full charge at the dealer. I'll have to put it on the tender tonight.

Pictures will follow as the weather warms. Bike came home with tacho, skid plate, accessory socket, clear flyscreen and solo seat with rack. ON order are TORS, YSS schocks, Hagon springs, AI kit, jets, and set of replacement bolts for the carbs. THIS IS GONNA BE FUNNNNNN!

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #936
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
I'm not certain what temp your region is in at the moment, but it is fair to say that the Scrambler in standard trim needs 30secs of choke at standstill, and then a minute or so of stationary throttle to let those pots warm up a bit.
I think this is good for any engine though, so don't see it as a problem. (allows oil to circulate, and heat to settle the the whole package).
Riding away on a dead cold engine will decrease it's life marketly.
They do fire up redily though. So maybe your battery is a bit low.
This photo was at a rally at the start of winter here. Heavy frost, and the scrambler fired up no problem.
Enjoy your new bike.

Well duh. I noticed your temp comment finally. If thats faranheit, thats quite cold.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #937
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

QD, once your bike is broken in it will prolly start better. Right now the engine is quite stiff, and that coupled with cold temps makes it hard on a bike. If you haven't done so, consider pulling in your clutch during the starting drill to minimize drag from the tranny - the engine will spin over much faster, esp. at freezing temps.

Emily Bronte
Old 03-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #938
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

cold starting

Yes Tri boy, that's 32 Farenheit. Yes, quite cold. I have a Kawasaki KLX that is cold-blooded too, so I'm familiar with the routine with carbed bikes. Took lots of reving to turn over.

Mista Vern, I had the clutch lever pulled, bike level, choke out, no throttle. Finally, I pushed the choke in and it did start up eventually. Pulled choke to keep it running and let it warm up properly.

Anyway, I'll get used to it and it won't be so cold here forever. Summer will come to Minnesota in say.........August (for about a week or so).

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #939
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
Summer will come to Minnesota in say.........August (for about a week or so).
Along with the mosquitoes and 90% humidity.

Emily Bronte
Old 03-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #940
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Talking Helmet Design

What year model of Scrambler QD? Didnt know if you bought an 07 or 08.

Figured I would show you the graphics I put on my helmet today. I went to the hobby shop and got some sticker material. Figured paint was a good way to ruin a nice helmet. YOu can see better pics at my blog: http://stormofcrows.blogspot.com/ Just click on them.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #941
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

I got a green and silver leftover '07.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
Old 03-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #942
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
How do you like the scrambler? Im either going to buy that or the BMW G650 x-country. I cant decide which one i want. Im tall and the BMW has the height and good componentry but is still a single. i like the roulette green/silver scrambler along with its old school looks and twin. The BMW has the same HP (but 200cc less) and is 125lbs less. Tough choices for the 95/5 rider

Dave
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #943
GLennA
Two Wheel Junkie

Oddometer: 4
Really enjoy this thread. I just bought an 07 Green/Silver today for $7080 OTD. The dealer is removing the AI before I pick it up on Friday. Whooo-hoo.
GLennA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #944
jimmy73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1068
How do you like the scrambler? Im either going to buy that or the BMW G650 x-country. I cant decide which one i want. Im tall and the BMW has the height and good componentry but is still a single. i like the roulette green/silver scrambler along with its old school looks and twin. The BMW has the same HP (but 200cc less) and is 125lbs less. Tough choices for the 95/5 rider

Dave
I have an 06 Scram, my buddy has a 07 x-country. I've ridden his and like it, I ride mine and LOVE it. There are pros and cons for each bike. We both have stock tires and I go where he goes on dirt. I feel the Scrams only limitation on the trail is me. The x-country has smaller tank and everything for a BMW is expensive. Oh, I'm 6'1" and dont feel cramped at all. On the highway mine does better.

"cracks" mean they're shooting, "whizzes" mean they're shooting at you
jimmy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #945
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1068

Dave
I don't know quite yet how I will get along with the scrammy. I have been riding beemers for a long time. However, something about the scrambler has been calling to me. I finally stopped listening to moto journos and listened to my heart. I can tell you that I LOVE the looks and style.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200