Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #9511
RoaringDS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Oh, MY! I am anxious to see the results on this one! I have heard our Scramblers will benefit more from headwork.

[quote=Grizzlybear]In chasing a little more power, we have had some new valves turned up out of stainless. Both exhaust and inlet are 2mm over stock and we should have the head on and tested by the end of the week. The ports have been opened up around the valve seat area to match the extra valve size and I have also done some more porting to match the inlet manifolds to the head more perfectly. Will do a couple of day rides then run it on the dyno. Previously we topped out at 78.4HP so are expecting somewhere in the 83-85HP range.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who strives valiantly, who errs & comes short again; ...who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of great achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither vicotory nor defeat. ~Theodore Roosevelt
RoaringDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #9512
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
It's listed on the http://www.bestforbritts.com/ site under "Borsello laterale pocket" at 95.
There is also some nice Bitubo piggyback shocks on the site.

Be the first!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #9513
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftingscotch
Hah! Son of a... My brother looked at it and swore to me that mine was the way it should point. I don't know if I can handle taking that thing off and mounting it again... I was nearly ready to chuck it a fire last go round. ...maybe I'll just go chuck myself in a lake.
You need one of these...

I figured it would take 8-10 tire changes to pay for it, but now that we've moved and our closest dealer is an hour away, I hadn't even figured in travel time, gas, sitting around etc. so with several bikes in the garage, this thing has paid for itself easily.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #9514
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,600
Original Meriden Scrambler on fleaBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metisse-Triump...#ht_500wt_1154
Old 06-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #9515
RoaringDS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
blacktiger,

I have read plenty of your posts and consider many of your farkles, like many inmates', brilliant (new sidecase and tool tube setup)! I have been considering getting a single seat and mounting an aux tank as you are suggestting to Mcole, but am concerned about the weight issue. The single seat is only rated for 11lbs...(4 gal tank @~10lbs/gal?!?!) How do you suggest shoring up the single seat rack for this project? Is it the weakness only in the plastic cover or the seat itself? I am hoping that replacing the plastic cover with a plate and plates bolted to the bottom of the seat will provide enough support. A support structure like Maxxacceleration's (nice work there) may be necessary as well. I have electronics sitting on the rear fender though. If anyone has any suggestions, fell free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
If you have the single seat you could mount the tank on the seat rack. Then it'll be effectively sat on the frame. Then you use the luggage rack for...er...luggage.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who strives valiantly, who errs & comes short again; ...who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of great achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither vicotory nor defeat. ~Theodore Roosevelt
RoaringDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #9516
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Lightspeed
Can some one with an Arrow 2-1 exhaust measure how far it sticks our at it's widest point? Thinking about upgrading but need to know if it will still fit with my luggage racks.

I measured mine just now. Looks to be exactly 6.5" from the upper shock mount (not including the mounting post) to the widest part of the heat shield. ie I measured from the inside of the upper shock out.

If you remove the heat shield and remove it's mounting points, you might save 0.75" or summin like that.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #9517
draftingscotch
from the interwebs

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
You need one of these...

I figured it would take 8-10 tire changes to pay for it, but now that we've moved and our closest dealer is an hour away, I hadn't even figured in travel time, gas, sitting around etc. so with several bikes in the garage, this thing has paid for itself easily.
Maybe so... It does look pretty handy. I had visions of changing a tire out in the middle of nowhere with three spoons and a hand pump, but I'm not exactly out in the middle of nowhere right now, am I?
draftingscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #9518
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,698
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
I think you may have the front K60 on backwards. Mine had a directional arrow. You'll love them as soon as you get the used to them. They do turn "different".

Quote:
Hah! Son of a... My brother looked at it and swore to me that mine was the way it should point. I don't know if I can handle taking that thing off and mounting it again... I was nearly ready to chuck it a fire last go round. ...maybe I'll just go chuck myself in a lake.
There is some debate as to whether the directional arrow on a front tire should point forward or backward. On a drive tire the thrust where it meets the road is as one would expect, but on the front tire the only time the tire is dealing with thrust is when the brake is on is toward the front of the tire. Hence having the arrow pointing "backwards" would be correct.

I am not sure on all this, but it might be good fodder for discussion in the Garage section maybe?

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #9519
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCole
You must get much better mileage than I do because an extra two gallons wouldn't have cut it. Hell, I've hit reserve at under 100 miles going at highway speeds. I even brought an extra gallon in a leftover bag of joe from Dunkin Donunts so I had 5 extra gallons and used just about all of it. Labrador is not the place to run out of gas, especially when the bears have just come out of hibernation Running at higher revs for better traction on the gravel as well as the 3 hours it took to go through 50km of construction probably reduced my overall mileage a bit but I think you'd be crazy to go up being too optimistic about range.
On my last fillup I calculated I was getting 23.02 km/l , so the 16 liter tank would give me a 368 km range. Adding a 2 US gal. gas can (7.57 l) would take me an extra 173 km for a total of 541 km. Assuming you get 20% worse fuel economy because of luggage weight and gravel roads you could still travel 433 km if you kept to a reasonable speed knowing that you needed maximum range for the fuel on board. Other factors may come into play too so its best to play it safe in northern Canada and carry all the fuel you can.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #9520
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
There is some debate as to whether the directional arrow on a front tire should point forward or backward.
As always, the rotational arrow on the sidewall points in the direction that the tires rotates. Always. Now, if the discussion is of the V shape in the tread pattern, it is generally reverse of what would be on the rear tire. Following the rotational direction arrow on the sidewall will orientate the tread in the correct direction.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #9521
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringDS
blacktiger,
A support structure like Maxxacceleration's (nice work there) may be necessary as well.
I think you've answered your question with this.
I haven't done the Max mod as I've bolted a Touratech bag to the plastic cover and seat base without the rack as you can see in this....

and sit any extra bag on top like this....
Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #9522
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Cry It just so happens .....

Quote:
Maybe so... It does look pretty handy. I had visions of changing a tire out in the middle of nowhere with three spoons and a hand pump, but I'm not exactly out in the middle of nowhere right now, am I?

I was riding sweep on our New England Classic Charity Trail Ride Big Bike Rally (we really need a longer name ) this past Saturday. Wonderful day, the rain passed early, comfortable temperatures, good cause, etc. Not very far after reset 3 I found the handling to have deteriorated rapidly, hmmmm .... seems to be no air in the rear tire, we're several miles into a woods (Class VI road) section. So ....... seems that a centerstand might be a good idea.

At a svelt 300+ lbs it took me kneeling on it and BobIT using 3 tire irons to break the bead

Not smart enough to bring a spare tube, we (he) patched it, we re-assembled and re-inflated. Not exactly an ISDT repair, more like an hour+. It got me out and to pavement before returning to a less than round shape. I rode it about 10 more miles to a convenient place to be "rescued" from. The tire beads never broke from the rim while riding (20-25 mph) on the road but I thought better of trying to continue home down the interstate. I have yet to break it down again and see what happened to our repair, the original problem was the result of a 3" nail, I did look to see if it had penetrated both sides of the tube, didn't find any evidence of it but time will tell.
There is NO way that I would have gotten it fixed alone on the trail, without a centerstand we struggled to get it up on the rocks to pull the wheel, it might be possible to do by laying the bike on it's side, I'd rather not find out. We also struggled a great deal getting the tube out and back in, 4 hands was just (barely) enough, 5 or 6 would have been better. That 80 series sidewall on the stock TrailWing is STIFF.
Now, the question is whether to fix it again or buy the new tires (only 2,100 on the originals now) I had been thinking about and only have to change it once more (for now). While waiting for recovery I had lots of time to stare at it, perhaps it's just me but I think a set of alloy rims with the ridges (like the old Akronts) would look sweet on there, might be easier to get the tires on and off that the stockers as well, hmmm .....

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #9523
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Hmmmm...

I've never changed a motorcycle tire myself. I think I need to give it a try shortly based on the experiences you guys are posting here. It doesn't look like any fun. I was going to buy 3 tire irons to add to the tool roll for traveling. Any tips for breaking the bead?

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #9524
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
Hmmmm...

I've never changed a motorcycle tire myself. I think I need to give it a try shortly based on the experiences you guys are posting here. It doesn't look like any fun. I was going to buy 3 tire irons to add to the tool roll for traveling. Any tips for breaking the bead?
There are several options and gadgets out there but I'm planning to hang a "G" clamp behind my new side rack. I know it works because I've used it on BMW tubeless rims.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #9525
draftingscotch
from the interwebs

Oddometer: 33
Heh, you should've seen us trying to break the bead... I think it finally broke just because it was starting to feel bad for us. Afterwards, getting the new tire back on, we were beginning to think we'd found something that was literally impossible to do (at least with those three little spoons). ...whew. To add insult to injury, the spring on the valve core in the new tube un-wound and jammed itself down into the core so that we couldn't screw the core in or out!

I can't wait to be caught out alone next time!
draftingscotch is offline   Reply With Quote