ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #9631
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rob Farmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire. England
Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn
So, any thoughts on using the scrambler as a tug for an adventure sidecar?
Strangely enough I was reading this the other day --> http://www.adventuresidecar.co.uk/current.html
Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #9632
tbirdsp
REMF
 
tbirdsp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Nebraska
Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
It was on the Scrambler when I bought it,the tag says GP263 for a parts number and 2006 KX450F Glideplate as the model of bike.
There was some reshaping done on the front upper edge to make it fit the Triumph and mine comes off for oil changes.
Unfortunatly it doesnt say which manufacturer made it.
Thats all the info Ive got on it. I can get a pic of it and post it.
Google is your friend. It's made by Moose Racing.

http://powersport-superstore-inc.ama...B000H18GEO.htm
__________________
Mike S.
'09 Bonneville Black, '05 KLR650, '07 Yam Majesty
AMA MSTA
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #9633
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will
 
Motoblag's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn
So, any thoughts on using the scrambler as a tug for an adventure sidecar?
Not super adventurous but I've a tub on my '08:



I've put some miles on a KLR/Sputnik rig and I really, really like the smoothness of the Triumph over the Kawasaki.
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #9634
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please
 
SkiFastBadly's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Oddometer: 1,516
So I finally got 'round to changing the oil on my 08, it's only at 4K miles but it's been over a year. Yeah, I know, that's really low mileage, but I do have two other bikes....

Anyway, three observations:
1) Wow, that thing takes a lot of oil. 4.5 L? Really? I put a gallon of Mobile 4T in that cost me like $60 and it's STILL needing another half quart?

2) Whomever decided on the location of the fill cap can come over to my house and stick HIS goddamn arm in there next time after the bike is hot enough to change the oil.

3) I re-used the washer it looked pefectly fine.

Other than that, it was dead simple.
__________________
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #9635
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly
So I finally got 'round to changing the oil on my 08, it's only at 4K miles but it's been over a year. Yeah, I know, that's really low mileage, but I do have two other bikes....

Anyway, three observations:
1) Wow, that thing takes a lot of oil. 4.5 L? Really? I put a gallon of Mobile 4T in that cost me like $60 and it's STILL needing another half quart?

2) Whomever decided on the location of the fill cap can come over to my house and stick HIS goddamn arm in there next time after the bike is hot enough to change the oil.

3) I re-used the washer it looked pefectly fine.

Other than that, it was dead simple.
Just get yourself a long necked funnel before your next oil change.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #9636
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please
 
SkiFastBadly's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Oddometer: 1,516
The funnel, I have. But when I unscrewed the cap, it slid over and I had to reach in and grab it. What I guess I need is some sort of remote gripper thingy...
__________________
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #9637
McJamie
STROMINATOR
 
McJamie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoblag
Not super adventurous but I've a tub on my '08:



I've put some miles on a KLR/Sputnik rig and I really, really like the smoothness of the Triumph over the Kawasaki.
That's totally cool. Looks like it should have been built that way.
__________________
If you get far enough away, you'll be on your way home.
Piss off, I'm in my Happy place.
McJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #9638
TheNaker
El Vagabondo
 
TheNaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Oakville, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 90
A couple of pictures of this would be greatly appreciated.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
It was on the Scrambler when I bought it,the tag says GP263 for a parts number and 2006 KX450F Glideplate as the model of bike.
There was some reshaping done on the front upper edge to make it fit the Triumph and mine comes off for oil changes.
Unfortunatly it doesnt say which manufacturer made it.
Thats all the info Ive got on it. I can get a pic of it and post it.
__________________
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
TheNaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #9639
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedawg450
The trick with moving the brake pedal down is to thread the switch down to match. I overlooked that initially, but a pre-ride check sent up a red flag. I'm riding an 07 - don't know if the mechanism has changed since, but it was a piece of cake to move the switch down further in the holder. You do have to watch your feet in the turns though - felt like I was going to snap an ankle when one of my size 13.5's hooked up on the pavement in a moderate lean. I ride with my toes on the pegs whenever I've got her way over.

Perhaps I am missing something, "back in the day" all of those switches were mounted with two nuts around a tab for simple adjustment. I expected to be able to adjust the switch position but there didn't seem to be any where to go except to make the problem worse. I will look at it again, I think that a small link could be inserted fairly easily to allow you to at least touch the pedal without activating the brake light or having it just stay on. It of course did not occur to me to even look at it as I changed both tires this afternoon, not like it was just sitting there in front of me on the lift - Oh Yeah, it WAS. Doah!

Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #9640
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoblag
Not super adventurous but I've a tub on my '08:



I've put some miles on a KLR/Sputnik rig and I really, really like the smoothness of the Triumph over the Kawasaki.
That's really sweet! Giving me ideas though of a Ural Cross sidecar on the Scram.... Hmmm
__________________

scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #9641
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,757
Scrambler Gearing

I finally got the Scrambler out on a long ride with some slab thrown in,kinda seems like 60 to 65 mph is the upper comfort level,pegs start buzzing,harmonic noises and general un happiness at much over 65.
Traffic was going 75 or over, so every time I looked behind me some body was tailgating me or passing me. I would try to buzz it at 75 or 80 but the bike seemed to find its way back to the 60 range every time I looked at the speedo.
Most people put a 19 tooth countershaft on or just stick to side roads?

1st gear is tall already but a hiway gear would be handy.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #9642
Gormley Green
Adventurer
 
Gormley Green's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly

1) Wow, that thing takes a lot of oil. 4.5 L? Really? I put a gallon of Mobile 4T in that cost me like $60 and it's STILL needing another half quart?
Mine takes 3.8L with a filter change, 3.5 without. From the manual, and real life.
__________________
2010 Triumph Scrambler, the black one.
Gormley Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #9643
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
I finally got the Scrambler out on a long ride with some slab thrown in,kinda seems like 60 to 65 mph is the upper comfort level,pegs start buzzing,harmonic noises and general un happiness at much over 65.
Traffic was going 75 or over, so every time I looked behind me some body was tailgating me or passing me. I would try to buzz it at 75 or 80 but the bike seemed to find its way back to the 60 range every time I looked at the speedo.
Most people put a 19 tooth countershaft on or just stick to side roads?

1st gear is tall already but a hiway gear would be handy.
I have very little vibration on the highway on mine and folks drive fast around here and my commute is pretty long. How many miles on yours? I have noticed mine feels like the engine's smoothed out a bit since new. One thing that did make a big difference was spooning on some Tourances for commuting, no more tire buzz.
__________________

scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #9644
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdc
I have very little vibration on the highway on mine and folks drive fast around here and my commute is pretty long. How many miles on yours? I have noticed mine feels like the engine's smoothed out a bit since new. One thing that did make a big difference was spooning on some Tourances for commuting, no more tire buzz.
Mine just turned 8,000 miles,It seems like its revving more then it wants to at 70 or more. Ive got Distanzias on there rt now but the back one is worn to near nothing.
I was also trying a new windshield which may have been making more noise then I think it was,gotta take it out and try it again with the windshield off or re adjusted.
Yours seems fine at 80 or there abouts?
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #9645
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormley Green
Mine takes 3.8L with a filter change, 3.5 without. From the manual, and real life.
4.5 quarts is what mine took with a filter and oil change. Easy bike to swap oil on.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014