Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #9646
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormley Green
Mine takes 3.8L with a filter change, 3.5 without. From the manual, and real life.
Same here.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #9647
Maxacceleration
What now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Most people put a 19 tooth countershaft on or just stick to side roads?

1st gear is tall already but a hiway gear would be handy.
I went to 19t to relax highway rpms. It works fine. I can pull mountain passes at 95 in 4th.
70-90 all day with a 19t in 5th - Already done it...

The taller 1st is tall but when you get used to it, works very well pulling out into traffic.
I have chugged trails in 1st with the 19t. It will.

Funny, some people want their bike to be as smooth as a Lexus and still air surrounds as their Lexus interior.

Its a motorcycle for christ sake!

You know, 'In the wind'?
Sounds dangerous.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #9648
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
I went to 19t to relax highway rpms. It works fine. I can pull mountain passes at 95 in 4th.
70-90 all day with a 19t in 5th - Already done it...

The taller 1st is tall but when you get used to it, works very well pulling out into traffic.
I have chugged trails in 1st with the 19t. It will.

Funny, some people want their bike to be as smooth as a Lexus and still air surrounds as their Lexus interior.

Its a motorcycle for christ sake!

You know, 'In the wind'?
Is there a good place to get that 19t from. I'm going to be learning motorcycle maintenance when I get my Scram (hopefully soon) right now I ride a Honda cruiser, so there's really no maintenance to speak of.
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #9649
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Mine just turned 8,000 miles,It seems like its revving more then it wants to at 70 or more. Ive got Distanzias on there rt now but the back one is worn to near nothing.
I was also trying a new windshield which may have been making more noise then I think it was,gotta take it out and try it again with the windshield off or re adjusted.
Yours seems fine at 80 or there abouts?
More miles than mine actually. 80 is fine but definitely buzzy beyond that. I was running a windshield and it reduced the overall air-pressure quite a bit but I'm running without it right now and it's a bit less turbulent. All very subjective though.

scottdc screwed with this post 06-15-2010 at 12:07 AM
scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #9650
arewethereyet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly
The funnel, I have. But when I unscrewed the cap, it slid over and I had to reach in and grab it. What I guess I need is some sort of remote gripper thingy...
What you need is one of these jobbies:
http://www.fastmag.com.au/product/fa...scopic_pen.htm

It's saved many a singed hand/wrist when the bloody cap falls into the engine bay area...
arewethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #9651
Maxacceleration
What now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar
Is there a good place to get that 19t from.
I believe I bought mine at New Bonneville.
My dealer couldn't come up with one.
Sounds dangerous.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #9652
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Ultraseal

Sorry for my total unawareness but is using of Ultraseal sensible on Scrambler (tubes/rims)?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #9653
ivara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly
2) Whomever decided on the location of the fill cap can come over to my house and stick HIS goddamn arm in there next time after the bike is hot enough to change the oil.
I'd think the placement was decided long before the Scrambler was conceived. It works perfectly fine on the Bonneville with its low pipes - but I can clearly imagine it can be a pain on the Scram.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #9654
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
I finally got the Scrambler out on a long ride with some slab thrown in,kinda seems like 60 to 65 mph is the upper comfort level,pegs start buzzing,harmonic noises and general un happiness at much over 65.
Traffic was going 75 or over, so every time I looked behind me some body was tailgating me or passing me. I would try to buzz it at 75 or 80 but the bike seemed to find its way back to the 60 range every time I looked at the speedo.

I stick to highways and side roads. To hell with interstates. I can't think of a better way to ruin a motorcycle trip than spending hours on an interstate.

Like Max said, a 19t would probably do the trick. My Scrambler is much more enjoyable on the highways after I opened the airbox up on both ends. A little more grunt helps a lot at higher speeds. I can cruise at 70-75mph without any buzziness. I don't "search for sixth" anymore either. 4th is very comfortable up to 60mph without any buzz now. Of course I destroyed the airbox to do this, but it turned out to be well worth it. I have TORS, 135 main jets, thruxton needles (no shims), and 2 turns out on the mixture screw. I still get 43mpg even around town.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #9655
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar
Is there a good place to get that 19t from. I'm going to be learning motorcycle maintenance when I get my Scram (hopefully soon) right now I ride a Honda cruiser, so there's really no maintenance to speak of.
Scramblers dont need much maintenance either from what I hear,they are over built very strong motors and are tuned to last. As far as learning to wrench on one,its best to go slow and ask lots of questions,its expensive to mess stuff up.(Ive done it)
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #9656
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
I stick to highways and side roads. To hell with interstates. I can't think of a better way to ruin a motorcycle trip than spending hours on an interstate.

Like Max said, a 19t would probably do the trick. My Scrambler is much more enjoyable on the highways after I opened the airbox up on both ends. A little more grunt helps a lot at higher speeds. I can cruise at 70-75mph without any buzziness. I don't "search for sixth" anymore either. 4th is very comfortable up to 60mph without any buzz now. Of course I destroyed the airbox to do this, but it turned out to be well worth it. I have TORS, 135 main jets, thruxton needles (no shims), and 2 turns out on the mixture screw. I still get 43mpg even around town.
I dont enjoy slab riding that much but for a general purpose street bike it needs to be able to be smooth enough at 80 to get by on American roadways.
Ive ridden my DR650 to Death Valley and back from Chico,about 650 miles each way at 70 to 80 all the way. I was comfortable enough all the way with a small shield and a Corbin seat,stock gearing,so Im not looking for Gold Wing glassy smooth,just reasonable.
I got over 53 mpg the other day on one stretch of road,must have been more downhill then I thought. 45 is more typical.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #9657
Maxacceleration
What now

Quote:
I dont enjoy slab riding that much but for a general purpose street bike it needs to be able to be smooth enough at 80 to get by on American roadways.
Ive ridden my DR650 to Death Valley and back from Chico,about 650 miles each way at 70 to 80 all the way. I was comfortable enough all the way with a small shield and a Corbin seat,stock gearing,so Im not looking for Gold Wing glassy smooth,just reasonable.
I got over 53 mpg the other day on one stretch of road,must have been more downhill then I thought. 45 is more typical.
IMO the DR650 & our Scramblers are a fair comparison.
The 19t counter is key for me to cruise 70-80 all day.
Zero oil burned on my last trip doing this.
My Scrambler hit an indicated 106 with the 19t.
Ya a kinda of sorry top speed IMO. But I didn't buy the bike for that, only to see what it would do.
Sounds dangerous.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #9658
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
IMO the DR650 & our Scramblers are a fair comparison.
The 19t counter is key for me to cruise 70-80 all day.
Zero oil burned on my last trip doing this.
My Scrambler hit an indicated 106 with the 19t.
Ya a kinda of sorry top speed IMO. But I didn't buy the bike for that, only to see what it would do.
Ive ridden my DR to Idaho and back in dirt from Chico,Death valley and back,through 3+ ft of water and put my street wheels on it and it flys on tight bumpy backroads. For a cheap bike it does really well. Never blurs the mirrors on the road,smooth single.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #9659
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
I finally got the Scrambler out on a long ride with some slab thrown in,kinda seems like 60 to 65 mph is the upper comfort level,pegs start buzzing,harmonic noises and general un happiness at much over 65.
Traffic was going 75 or over, so every time I looked behind me some body was tailgating me or passing me. I would try to buzz it at 75 or 80 but the bike seemed to find its way back to the 60 range every time I looked at the speedo.

Have you tried shifting from 4th to 5th. Seriously I've ridden mine with TKC80's on the freeway into and out of Vancouver cruising at 130km/h (80mph) for a couple hours with short bursts up to 140km/h for passing and never noticed anything except the wind at that speed. At 140 it wasn't fun but at 130 it felt fine.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #9660
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Have you tried shifting from 4th to 5th. Seriously I've ridden mine with TKC80's on the freeway into and out of Vancouver cruising at 130km/h (80mph) for a couple hours with short bursts up to 140km/h for passing and never noticed anything except the wind at that speed. At 140 it wasn't fun but at 130 it felt fine.
So your saying the bike has a 5th gear? My old Triumph was a 4 speed. I'll have to check into that.
Thanks loads!