User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #9721
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Works Performance

A few of you have mounted Works Performance shocks on your Scramblers and appear to be quite happy with them.

I've put about 15,000 miles on my Ikons and can't say as I'm too impressed.

Does anyone have a model/part # for the Work's shocks?
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #9722
wiseanhyzer
\ˈwī-zən-ˌhī-zər\

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike
That's a sharp looking bike amanlikemike. What pipes are you running?

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #9723
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercity
A few of you have mounted Works Performance shocks on your Scramblers and appear to be quite happy with them.

I just mounted Works Billet Trackers with the black powder coated springs.

You need to be mindful of the length you select especially if you have a center stand mounted. The stock shocks are 14in and I stuck with the same length for the Works. With the sag set properly for my weight the center stand just clears the chain.

Initial impression; Not much difference in ride quality but a world of diffrence in handlling. Much more settled and quicker through the twisties.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #9724
Firedawg450
Why did I wait??

Oddometer: 119
Works Performance

I have to agree. With the billets (I went 14.5), you do get much better handling, but the bumps are about as harsh as the as the stockers. You get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago

You need to be mindful of the length you select especially if you have a center stand mounted. The stock shocks are 14in and I stuck with the same length for the Works. With the sag set properly for my weight the center stand just clears the chain.

Initial impression; Not much difference in ride quality but a world of diffrence in handlling. Much more settled and quicker through the twisties.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #9725
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar
I have ridden both, and the Scrambler really does feel like you're riding an old school bike, with a little more rattle and roll, but it still handles beautifully. I was pulling tight U-turns in thick KC traffic with no problem.

Basically, I need to get a scrambler, then convince my girlfriend that instead of a new car, she needs a T-100.
They do go well together.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #9726
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedawg450
I have to agree. With the billets (I went 14.5), you do get much better handling, but the bumps are about as harsh as the as the stockers. You get what you pay for.
THANKS for the feedback gentlemen!
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #9727
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercity

Each set they build is a custom set of shocks,call em at 818 701 4118 and they will give you the scoop. The IKON's I put on an old BMW I rebuilt were useless,solid non moving over most any bump rt off the bat. IKON informed me they werent responsible for such issues.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 06-18-2010 at 02:11 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #9728
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:

Initial impression; Not much difference in ride quality but a world of difference in handlling. Much more settled and quicker through the twisties.
Once I carefully set sag for my weight and the average load I have on the bike,they are considerably less harsh on sharp bumps and handle way better,the stockers were so harsh my lower back was getting wrecked from getting kicked out of the seat. Im putting the emulators in the forks today,turns out they are the same forks as come on most Harleys,cheapest forks made for commercial use. Im hoping they are helped lots by the Emulators. Triumph spent way more on styling then they did on suspension for sure.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #9729
Firedawg450
Why did I wait??

Oddometer: 119
Works Performance

Maybe you could answer a question regarding the Works Performance shocks. When I pull the bike off the sidestand and sit down, there's a hesitation before settling down - like the shock is sticking. Today I actually had to drop down on the seat to get the bike to settle on the springs. Can't see a reason for the shocks to hang up, but I'm not overly experienced in these matters.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Once I carefully set sag for my weight and the average load I have on the bike,they are considerably less harsh on sharp bumps and handle way better,the stockers were so harsh my lower back was getting wrecked from getting kicked out of the seat. Im putting the emulators in the forks today,turns out they are the same forks as come on most Harleys,cheapest forks made for commercial use. Im hoping they are helped lots by the Emulators. Triumph spent way more on styling then they did on suspension for sure.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #9730
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedawg450
Maybe you could answer a question regarding the Works Performance shocks. When I pull the bike off the sidestand and sit down, there's a hesitation before settling down - like the shock is sticking. Today I actually had to drop down on the seat to get the bike to settle on the springs. Can't see a reason for the shocks to hang up, but I'm not overly experienced in these matters.

Thanks.
I dont know what would cause that to happen,should settle right down when its under its own weight. Although, when I set the sag on my Works Perf shocks I ended up with no static sag,meaning it doesnt sink any under its own weight. That means the spring has too much preload dialed in to set sag for my weight,too soft of a spring is what it means really.
Im going to call Works Performance next week to see what they think.
They said 1 and 1/4" was the right sag with me sitting on it.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #9731
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
I dont know what would cause that to happen,should settle right down when its under its own weight. Although, when I set the sag on my Works Perf shocks I ended up with no static sag,meaning it doesnt sink any under its own weight. That means the spring has too much preload dialed in to set sag for my weight,too soft of a spring is what it means really.
Im going to call Works Performance next week to see what they think.
They said 1 and 1/4" was the right sag with me sitting on it.
I adjusted the sag on my bike by measuring the distance between the the top mounting point of the shock and the center of the rear axle with the bike unladen. I then had a friend measure the same distance while sitting on the bike. Dialed in the preload to compensate as closely as possible for the difference. I weigh 185 lbs stripped. Only required one complete turn on the adjustment collar. Seems to work well.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #9732
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 138
super trapped

Please tell us more about those super trapp pipes allways loved them I had a two into one on my trans alp many years ago. My scram has the bafflectomy however I've allways wanted to replace the stockers with something good. I need more info on the super trapp set up then I can sleep at night thanks.
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #9733
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
So I think that maybe just longer, wider pegs would be better.
I'd fear peg scrape left and right

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike

Very cool, have you got any pics of you on the bike, for an idea of riding position?
Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #9734
sleepychas
Banned

Oddometer: 1,506
Any ideas for good road tires for a scrambler. I have the TKC80s on right now but I never go off road
sleepychas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #9735
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepychas
Any ideas for good road tires for a scrambler. I have the TKC80s on right now but I never go off road
Avon Distanzias work extremely well in all conditions.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote