Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #9736
ivara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Once I carefully set sag for my weight and the average load I have on the bike,they are considerably less harsh on sharp bumps and handle way better,the stockers were so harsh my lower back was getting wrecked from getting kicked out of the seat. Im putting the emulators in the forks today,turns out they are the same forks as come on most Harleys,cheapest forks made for commercial use. Im hoping they are helped lots by the Emulators. Triumph spent way more on styling then they did on suspension for sure.
I agree that the stock fork + shocks are bottom-barrel stuff. I refer to them as "shock transmitters"

I put on a set of Ikon 7614 shocks 3 years ago, they worked fine. Then came over a set of hlins PL36 that I couldn't afford to let go. Also have put Ricor Intiminator valves in the forks.
Havent got much miles on the new setup, but the bike now is very smooth and stable on gravel roads, even with worn GT501 tires (can't wait till the Tourances show up)
Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #9737
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Talking Too new to evaluate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepychas
Any ideas for good road tires for a scrambler. I have the TKC80s on right now but I never go off road

I just added a set of Conti Trail Attacks to my Scrambler. Not enough miles yet to judge durability or even handling but after the Trail Wings they sure are smoooth and come in direct replacement sizing. I have the TKCs on my DR, different bikes and all but I had more faith in the TKCs on pavement than I did the Wings. Currently the Conti front is at "give-away" pricing, that made the set pretty reasonable and was a big factor in my choice, I wasn't shopping for bargain basement but am hardly a candidate for track day performance either so tire choice was a lot like my riding - middle of the road (OK middle of MY lane!).

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #9738
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago
I adjusted the sag on my bike by measuring the distance between the the top mounting point of the shock and the center of the rear axle with the bike unladen. I then had a friend measure the same distance while sitting on the bike. Dialed in the preload to compensate as closely as possible for the difference. I weigh 185 lbs stripped. Only required one complete turn on the adjustment collar. Seems to work well.
I think the bike needs to be pulled up or put on the centerstand to get the extended measurement. Should be with shocks at full extension.
Also I always have a top box on the back of the bike and riding gear weighs 15 lbs or more so I include that wt in the sag measurement.
I had too much sag when I first put the shocks on,with such a short travel bike I think it was bottoming over sharp bumps.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #9739
Firedawg450
Why did I wait??

Oddometer: 119
Conti Trail Attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape
I just added a set of Conti Trail Attacks to my Scrambler. Not enough miles yet to judge durability or even handling but after the Trail Wings they sure are smoooth and come in direct replacement sizing. I have the TKCs on my DR, different bikes and all but I had more faith in the TKCs on pavement than I did the Wings. Currently the Conti front is at "give-away" pricing, that made the set pretty reasonable and was a big factor in my choice, I wasn't shopping for bargain basement but am hardly a candidate for track day performance either so tire choice was a lot like my riding - middle of the road (OK middle of MY lane!).

Bruce
If you are riding a lot of road, I'd seriously consider the trail attacks. I'm about 4000km in on a set and they are wearing great.I've been riding in a lot of rainy, PNW weather this year and they really stick in the sweepers. Handling is excellent and, frankly, they look great on the bike.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #9740
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
with such a short travel bike I think it was bottoming over sharp bumps.
Puzzles me why Triumph have fitted such a short travel. I mean, their Sprint ST has slightly more travel front and rear and that's a sports tourer. To ride, the Scram feels like a Speed Triple with two cylinders missing.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #9741
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by NONAME13
Please tell us more about those super trapp pipes allways loved them I had a two into one on my trans alp many years ago. My scram has the bafflectomy however I've allways wanted to replace the stockers with something good. I need more info on the super trapp set up then I can sleep at night thanks.
Ah, man - the Supertrapps rule. I went for stacked universal fit Megaphones in brushed steel with 1.75" inlets, mounted quite high with a fabbed up heat shield, which I might paint black.

Had to get custom headers made, so it ended up multo expensivo, but the noise is worth every penny - just pure evil. The tone changes, but retains its character - a mix of British heritage and Californian speedfreakery. Sounds like a metallic werewolf. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I bought the bike second-hand a couple of months ago and she came with TORs on her, so currently running the jets for that set-up, which still seem a shade on the lean side. I'm planning on ripping the airbox out in a bit, so I'll rejet after that. At the moment, I've got six discs in the cans (they come with 12, but the noise was just obscene - enough to set of car alarms ), and it feels like I've maybe lost a bit of low-down torque from the TORs. I might stick a couple more discs in and see how I go, but the ma-HOOSIVE weight saving over the TORs should cancel out any loss of shove. Then the Dynojet kit will sort it once and for all when I get round to it.

The heatwrap is just temporary until I can get some heat shields cut.

amanlikemike screwed with this post 06-20-2010 at 05:56 AM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #9742
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
I'd fear peg scrape left and right

Very cool, have you got any pics of you on the bike, for an idea of riding position?
Hey, goodcat - thanks man. Don't have any shots of me on the bike yet. I've only had her a short while and been too busy spannering and testing to strike any poses

The riding position can only be described as... um... cool. I'm kinda lanky with long arms, so its nice to have them spread wide. The bars sit you bolt upright, but with your arms relaxed, so you dont upset the forks - a vast improvement over the stock bars. And when you wind the throttle on they encourage you to lean in, lead with your shoulder/knees, hang off a little (this isn't necessary - it just feels good) and give it some serious opposite lock.

Obviously, more of your chest is exposed to windblast, but I dont worry about that kind of thing - for me the Scram isn't a precision tool (I was a sportsbike addict for years), it's a motorbike and as such I quite like working for my miles.

I'll post some on-bike pics as soon as she's back on - and off - the road (wheels are currently out for painting black - see below). Taking her on a 2,500-mile run to the South of France as soon as possible, so plenty of photo opps there!

amanlikemike screwed with this post 06-19-2010 at 10:58 AM
Old 06-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #9743
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepychas
Any ideas for good road tires for a scrambler. I have the TKC80s on right now but I never go off road
Avons are cool - I'll try those next. I fitted Metzeler Tourances and can drag the pegs easily on cold tarmac and not fall off on the dirt either Go up a size on the rear while you're at it.

amanlikemike screwed with this post 06-19-2010 at 11:49 AM
Old 06-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #9744
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
That's a sharp looking bike amanlikemike. What pipes are you running?
Cheers, dude - we're getting there! :)

They're Supertrapp Universal Megaphones. I went into a little detail for NONAME13 a couple of posts back.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #9745
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike
That looks kinda like Wiltshire near Salisbury plain. Am I warm?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #9746
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
That looks kinda like Wiltshire near Salisbury plain. Am I warm?

Warmish, bro ... It's North Yorkshire - a little turn off on the way to Flamborough Head.

But the bike came from Wiltshire, so maybe you picked up on her roots!

amanlikemike screwed with this post 06-19-2010 at 12:49 PM
Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #9747
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike
Warmish, bro ... It's North Yorkshire - a little turn off on the way to Flamborough Head.

But the bike came from Wiltshire, so maybe you picked up on her roots!
Looks too dry for Yorkshire
Old 06-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #9748
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Looks too dry for Yorkshire
It was a good day. A very good day.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #9749
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,459
Quote:
Puzzles me why Triumph have fitted such a short travel. I mean, their Sprint ST has slightly more travel front and rear and that's a sports tourer. To ride, the Scram feels like a Speed Triple with two cylinders missing.
Scrambler is a Bonnieville with styling changes and slightly longer shocks,not really any kind of dirt bike except for styling and add hype.
I do like the newer Tigers,Id like to try one out. Ive ridden an old 96 Tiger and it was kind of a wobblebox with flexy forks and weak shock,grumbling grinding motor but seem to run for ever.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #9750
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Laugh Heritage, just like they did it back ....

Quote:
Scrambler is a Bonnieville with styling changes and slightly longer shocks,not really any kind of dirt bike except for styling and add hype.

Precisely what the "original" Scramblers were as well. I have been perusing the 72 parts book and owner's manual that came with my latest aquisition, very few different parts between the Tiger TR6R and Scrambler TR6C, pretty much just the high exhaust. Perhaps there were more differences back in the 60s but as things were sliding downslope in the 70s it was all for looks.
Interestingly, my 72 Tiger feels positively small compared to the 08 Scrambler, while certainly heavier than today's dirt bikes, I can see how they could have really been the dirt bikes of their day!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote