Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #991
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
It is still snowing.

This is seriously crampin' my style.
That's brutal! I empathize, I really do. The year I left Michigan I recall it rained for something like 30 days straight in June. However, I'll check back in August when we're melting down here & see how you're doing then!

Jeff in ATL
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #992
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Thanks all for the great info. Reading thru this thread is one of the major reasons I brought home a new Scrammie yesterday.

Like M700, I'm a bit concerned about the fuel range and await the views of others as to a viable solution. When traveling I generally stop every 125 miles or so but I don't want to be forced to fuel at every stop.

Have faith Queenpdog, the snow will melt soon. If it is any consolation I did see a snowflake in the air tonight here in Kentucky.
Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #993
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Nope, probably something like this...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/paint-protection/
Cool. Thanks.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #994
George Papadopolis
between

Oddometer: 8,878
I ran out of fuel on my second scrambler ride. I noticed the fuel light and decided to skip the next station to get to one 10 miles further...last time I make that mistake.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #995
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Fuel light?

*edit* Ah. You must have an 08 with the EFI.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #996
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by M700
Mista Vern - you did a long darned ride on your Scrambler... Did you carry any extra fuel or just pay a lot of attention to the map and fueling opportunities?

I find I hit "reserve" at about 135 miles... Fuel economy is okay at 40 - 45 mpg so far, but capacity seems a little limited. Just wondered if you (or others) carry extra fuel... How much and how?

BTW - much sympathy for my snowbound midwest bretheren! That's a LOT of snow. Didn't you guys hear? It's SPRING!

Thanks, Guy
I was very careful to fill every chance I got (within reason), but for bleak places I carry along an extra gallon in a plain old plastic gas can. I do bleed the air out of it so it does not expand too much when it gets warm.

The "reserve" comes on early, that's for sure, but you can run a fair bit past that. I found the bike drinks a lot less gas at 55 - 60 than at higher speeds - that's OK, as I generally am not in a hurry.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #997
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick
Is that the rubbery stuff?

Yup. Cheap, flexible, and doesn't slip.

Emily Bronte
Old 03-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #998
gomi no sensei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
It is still snowing.

This is seriously crampin' my style.
You've got my empathy. I bought my Scrambler February of last year, and I live in Wisconsin. I ended up riding it to work when it was 26 degrees out, and my hands didn't warm up until mid-afternoon.

This year, when it warmed up a bit two weeks ago, I took off early from work to do some riding. The roads were pretty clear, but I'd forgotten about the two inches of ice on my driveway.
gomi no sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #999
gomi no sensei
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
I was very careful to fill every chance I got (within reason), but for bleak places I carry along an extra gallon in a plain old plastic gas can. I do bleed the air out of it so it does not expand too much when it gets warm.

The "reserve" comes on early, that's for sure, but you can run a fair bit past that. I found the bike drinks a lot less gas at 55 - 60 than at higher speeds - that's OK, as I generally am not in a hurry.
I definitely noticed the same thing. Riding conservatively around town, I get MPG in the low 50s. At 75 MPH on a superslab, I see closer to 40 MPG.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #1000
gomi no sensei
Adventurer

introducing my bike

I started seriously shopping for a motorcycle in early 2007. I'd owned a few early 80's bikes (a couple of CM400s and an XJ550) and was looking for something a bit newer and a bit bigger to do some longer distance riding. I spent a lot of time just figuring out what I wanted. I love the look of older bikes, but I wanted something with lower miles and a better known maintenance history. For a long time, none of the newer bikes I looked at did it for me. They looked nice or cool, but they weren't what I wanted.

Orpheus encouraged me to check out the new Triumphs. He had a Bonneville, but from the first time I saw a Scrambler, I knew that was what I wanted: a beautiful, unique bike that, brand new, looks like a well restored antique.

By February I'd decided to get one. I found a 2006 at a shop down in Illinois for only $6,500. I grabbed a picture of the odometer before taking it for a test ride:

This was a pretty big thing for me. The Scrambler was my fourth motorcycle and sixteenth motor vehicle, but it's the first one I bought new and was the latest model year by almost ten years.

I knew riding it back would be utter misery (and probably pretty dangerous, given the road conditions and Chicago traffic), so it got to have a cushy ride home.

As soon as I'd mentioned I was getting a new bike, a friend asked if he could buy the old one. We unloaded the Scrambler into storage and trucked the old '80 CM400T over to his place.

February, it turned out, was really too soon to ride much. I had a 45 minute ride to work and nothing impressive in the way of winter gear, so I had to sit tight for a month or so. By late March it had warmed up enough that I was able to ride in on the better days by taking the back roads where I wouldn't have to go too fast (the wind chill was murder). By April, though, I was riding every day.

In June, I took three weeks off from work to ride around. I there'd be more to see if I headed west, but there were a lot of people I wanted to visit on the East coast. I hit back highways and country roads through Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia and then visited some friends in the DC area.

This was in WV.

After DC, I decided trying to take the back ways North would probably be a lost cause, so I burned up route 95 to Rhode Island in one big push. After seeing folks in RI, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, I headed northwest to New York. Kentucky had been pretty, and the mountains of WV were majestic, but upstate New York blew me away. I got to camp about 20 feet away from a gorgeous lake that night:

From there, I headed west to Toronto to see some more friends there and then across Michigan and Lake Michigan home to Wisconsin.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #1001
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Cool stuff gomi! Yuppers, the Scrambler will put on the miles, and you be smiling the whole time! If you head west maybe we'll see ya on the road sometime.

Emily Bronte
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #1002
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Gomi - very cool. That had to be a great trip!

Mista Vern - thanks, that's what I was thinking, a gallon or maybe two lashed to the luggage rack. Easy, simple solution. Perfect.
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #1003
milkman
can't find my screwdriver

Oddometer: 137
tank protector

Gernick, this is what Mr Vern was refferning to I think, I use the same

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...k-bag/padding/

You still need a grime free tank though
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 AM   #1004
George Papadopolis
between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick
Fuel light?

*edit* Ah. You must have an 08 with the EFI.
No, you were right I have an 06' Ive been at sea for a month and only ridden it three times so my memory was cross threaded Running out and parking that beauty on the shoulder while I thumbed it to the gas station sure hurt my feeelings though.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:36 AM   #1005
George Papadopolis
between

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomi no sensei

In June, I took three weeks off from work to ride around. I there'd be more to see if I headed west, but there were a lot of people I wanted to visit on the East coast. I hit back highways and country roads through Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia and then visited some friends in the DC area.

This was in WV.
Whats was it like cornering with the center of gravity up around your shoulder blades?