Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #10111
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Spokes are high stress parts, you dont want to mess around with a band-aid fix. Sorry, but I say get it fixed right.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #10112
Antman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by JossaXR
This one I want in my garage

Im right there with ya Bro !!
Old 07-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #10113
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
I'm sick of looking for bags too, and am about to throw one together myself. Yours looks great! That video I posted a page or two back of that guys homeade job, looks like he had the triumph mounting bracket, and somehow secured a hard back with hooks to his bag. Racks not cheap, but your bag would look a he'll of alot cooler on it than the gay "city bag".
This is a lot of blood sweat and tears, is just as expensive, and it is nowhere near as good as what you can buy off the shelf. I dont recommend trying it.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #10114
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
This is a lot of blood sweat and tears, is just as expensive, and it is nowhere near as good as what you can buy off the shelf. I dont recommend trying it.
might not always be as "good" but often way more satisfying
Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #10115
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCole
Stranded in Greece and could use advice... I finally had the dreaded broke spoke issue... I'm currently in the midst of a ride from Germany to the Red Sea through the Balkans, Turkey, Syria and Jordan on my 2007 Scrambler. Had just rode dowb through the Balkans and crossed Greece when 3 of my rear wheel spokes, puncturing the inner tube.

I'm currently in Kavala, Greece and plan on checking out the shops tomorrow to see if I can figure anything out.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on replacing the spokes or improvising a solution, I'd really like to avoid this happening again. I guess I'm fortunate it happened here rather than eastern Turkey or the Syrian desert but I've lost some of my confidence in the scrambler... or the wheels at least Damn thing made it through the Trans Lab without any problems and breaks spokes going 30mph on a smooth exit ramp...

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated, I'll promise an epic ride report in return
Yah,3 broke spokes is probably too much to try to
fake it some way,the Trans lab probably stressed em and then they broke later. I dont know what to do other then ordering a wheel or some how making another wheel fit,that would be a stretch also.
Once 3 have broke it will continue to break others even if those were replaced most likely.
That bend Triumph put in the spokes is an obvious weak point,they used to do dumb stuff like that on old bikes.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #10116
ScrambDaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercity
[img]web address of photo[/img]
I do it so .... but it still don't works ...
Bike history: Z900, RD400, Z1000LTD, GPZ1100, FT500, XS1100, VF1100C, KLR600, CB1100F, V-Max, VX800, XL650V, GSF1200, R1200R, XL700V, Scrambler900, Scrambler900EFI, TDM900, Tiger800, Z750S, DL1000 V-Storm, DL650 V-Storm.
ScrambDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #10117
MCole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Yah,3 broke spokes is probably too much to try to
fake it some way,the Trans lab probably stressed em and then they broke later. I dont know what to do other then ordering a wheel or some how making another wheel fit,that would be a stretch also.
Once 3 have broke it will continue to break others even if those were replaced most likely.
That bend Triumph put in the spokes is an obvious weak point,they used to do dumb stuff like that on old bikes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not adverse to fixing the problem rather than improvising The question I'm trying to figure out is how, I don't speak a word of Greek and so far it doesn't seem any of the mechanics speak English and I also need to figure out how to get a wheel, the Triumph network in Greece is pretty small.
MCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #10118
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not adverse to fixing the problem rather than improvising The question I'm trying to figure out is how, I don't speak a word of Greek and so far it doesn't seem any of the mechanics speak English and I also need to figure out how to get a wheel, the Triumph network in Greece is pretty small.
Bugger me !!!!!
Try a PM to ' denizguide ' for a suggestion , I know he's in Turkey, it's kind of next door. I suspect you are now in the land of improvisation, keep us posted. Best of luck
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #10119
MCole
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
Bugger me !!!!!
Try a PM to ' denizguide ' for a suggestion , I know he's in Turkey, it's kind of next door. I suspect you are now in the land of improvisation, keep us posted. Best of luck
I ended up asking a Greek rider in the street and he took me to his mechanic and translated a bit for me. The consenus seems to be that it wouldn't be possible to fix it in Kavala because of the unusual spoke design utilized by Triumph. At that point the rider/translator had to leave, the mechanic and I removed the wheel and found a 4th broken spoke. After some sign language and broken English it was agreed that the wheel would have to be sent somewhere to be fixed. I believe it is on its way to Thessaloniki although I'm not sure exactly where to, it also wasn't clear whether they'll be able to fix it or how long it will take I tried to get across that I'd like for them to test all the spokes and replace them as needed but we'll see what happens...

I had actually intended to carry spare spokes but decided against it at the last minute In any event I wouldn't have carried enough to replace 4 broken spokes on the rear wheel.

I called several Triumph dealerships here in Greece but none of them have spokes in stock, I also called a UK dealership and they think they could have them here in 3-4 days so that is an option as well if the Thessaloniki option doesn't work out. Replacing the wheel doesn't seem like a viable option at the moment because of cost/availability.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #10120
BusinessSocks
A real Trucker Cap

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape
No tach on mine yet so I can't offer advice but I have a question. Does it read correctly when the engine IS running and just stop at some odd point when you shut it off?

Bruce
No, it reads as if it were zeroed at whatever number the needle pointed to when the engine stopped running. Then it decides to change the number it points to when turned off, so it's hard to say, well it's pointing at 1500 so I'll just subtract 1500 from whatever it reads at any point today.

Does that make sense?
BusinessSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #10121
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
I also called a UK dealership and they think they could have them here in 3-4 days so that is an option as well if the Thessaloniki option doesn't work out. Replacing the wheel doesn't seem like a viable option at the moment because of cost/availability.
http://www.jacklilley.com/ specialize in posting worldwide. Main Triumph dealer in SW London.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #10122
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
Bugger me !!!!!
I agree,something creative needs to happen,but what? Carrying a pocketfull of spokes would be good, if they can be found. We used to wire spokes together where they crossed back in the day on old dirt bikes,it was supposed to strengthen them.
Maybe something as crude as fitting an old streetbike wheel of some sort with homemade spacers and rigging the drum brake to work some how. Or carrying on with ft brake only. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #10123
MCole
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
http://www.jacklilley.com/ specialize in posting worldwide. Main Triumph dealer in SW London.
I gave them a call earlier today as I've ordered from them before to the States and found them extremely helpful. They have the spokes in stock and could have them here in 3-4 days. I'll know tomorrow whether this wheel shop in Thessaloniki can fashion the spokes themselves, the mechanics seem to think they can, if not I'll order spokes from the UK and wait it out.

Footdragger, I've heard of people wiring spokes together to prevent them from flailing around when they break and I definately plan on doing that. One of the broken spokes hit the brake caliper, launching it into the inner tube and causing the flat. That would have probably been prevented if they'd been wired together. A couple of riders stopped and lended a hand though with fixing the flat which was very nice.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #10124
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Some of us still do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
I agree,something creative needs to happen,but what? Carrying a pocketfull of spokes would be good, if they can be found. We used to wire spokes together where they crossed back in the day on old dirt bikes,it was supposed to strengthen them.
.................................................. ........................

I still wire the spokes on a few of my bikes (including the Scrambler). It isn't a guarantee but usually can prevent a wayward broken spoke from inflicting further damage. More often these days I see dirtbike riders using ty-wraps instead of wire. I have no idea if it works as well or perhaps better but it certainly would be faster to do.
What I have no idea about is IF wiring the spokes actually helps spread the load and thusly reduce breakage to begin with. With todays metal technology it would seem that breaking a spoke in normal use would indicate a design flaw. And when the only spokes you hear about breaking all come from one brand ...........

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #10125
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape
I still wire the spokes on a few of my bikes (including the Scrambler). It isn't a guarantee but usually can prevent a wayward broken spoke from inflicting further damage. More often these days I see dirtbike riders using ty-wraps instead of wire. I have no idea if it works as well or perhaps better but it certainly would be faster to do.
What I have no idea about is IF wiring the spokes actually helps spread the load and thusly reduce breakage to begin with. With todays metal technology it would seem that breaking a spoke in normal use would indicate a design flaw. And when the only spokes you hear about breaking all come from one brand ...........

Bruce
One look at the rear spoke design on a Triumph vintage styled twin and you know they werent thinking much when they built it,straight pull spokes have been in use since the early 90's on dirt bikes where spokes are still the norm for all of them. Good quality tie wraps would work fine for tieing spokes together,the chinese tie wraps commonly sold in bulk break from the slightest pull on them. It probably doesnt strengthen them any but stops the flailing around of broken spokes.
Im thinking a 500 lb + load wt short travel twin puts a lot of abuse into the wheels.