Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #10231
Herr_Raus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
Oh I remember now! Yes we did walk the bikes. For some reason I was imagining standing next to it and walking it, but yes walking the bike really comes in handy since I tend to park it so I have to back it out of most spots.
you actually have to stand besides your bike and walk backwards in a U shape, you can't touch the outer lines, you have to know when to turn properly, you're not allowed to make forward corrections..
Herr_Raus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #10232
Skidplate865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Frame Damage - Scrambler

I figured I should post this here as well...
Here are a few pics of some frame damage I noticed a few weeks ago while having the shocks serviced.

The posts that the shocks slide onto is bending up and the bracket it attaches to is failing in between the welds. It is happening on both sides - the right hand side is more pronounced.

I filed a claim last Tuesday with the dealer and Triumph's warranty dept. sent my dealer (NYC - Corsa Motorsports)an email today. It was a "no" and as I heard it read to me. Triumph is saying that the frame damage is not covered as I have used after market shocks (Ohlins) and because they helped themselves to a peek at my photobucket account, it was obvious that the bike had been offroad. Scramblers - according to Triumph's warranty dept. are not designed to be ridden offroad.

I asked the Service manager to forward me the warranty dept.'s email, but he said that he wasn't sure if he could do that. I asked if he could send me an email stating the reasons for the denied claim. He said he would - no email yet...

To answer a few questions up front, the bike is under warranty for a few months more, it has 46,000 miles, and I keep the bike serviced.

A head's up: the damage starts out as a crack in the powdercoat and the seam between the welds buckles slowly at first. I am posting this to suggest that other Scram riders periodically check your frames at the shock mounts. I would never have seen this if I were not servicing my shocks.
Skidplate865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #10233
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,868
ugh!

As my sheet metal cross member at the rear of the frame has cracked, I can feel your pain. I haven't gone to the dealer yet, and probably won't.
What it says though, is the Scrambler frame is made of mild steel. As in soft IMO.
Nasty place for your frame to split - not any relief at the top mounts!

My additional luggage supports probably did not support evenly, and my load carrying is much different than yours.
Luck of the draw...
It also says the Scrambler, however you have it set up does not take touring weight well, especially on backroad [dirt] adventures.
I have pounded my bike off-road. I won't keep up with that because I don't believe it will last long. ... I'll go check my shock mounts.

I often call my bike a 'roadster' as it is that more than a Scrambler.

With that said I am off on a 5 day 'Brewery Tour' with dirt roads connecting!

Bring it on.

I hope it all works out for you skidplate. Your are the high mileage touring king around here!

Current solo rack support.

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #10234
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
With that said I am off on a 5 day 'Brewery Tour' with dirt roads connecting!
Brewery list, plz. So I can live vicariously.

Good beer is a hobby of mine; here the selection is ok but somewhat limited to bigger name west coast stuff. Sierra nevada, deschutes, etc.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #10235
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr_Raus
you actually have to stand besides your bike and walk backwards in a U shape, you can't touch the outer lines, you have to know when to turn properly, you're not allowed to make forward corrections..
Yeah I spaced out on that one.

BTW, any women in your group? We had 3 and they all could ride their bikes a few centimeters an hour and make perfect tight turns like they had gyroscopes built in, not even a wobble. Very impressive.

All the men had trouble with the slow speed portions and it seemed the more experience riding the harder it was for them, even to the point of dropping the bike while turning at very low speeds. It was very interesting.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #10236
Maxacceleration
What now

thistle, I'm not putting the ride together, but the guy organizing has these planned.

There are a LOT of brewerys in Oregon...

Hiccup

Walking Man: http://www.walkingmanbrewing.com/index.html

Double Mountain: http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/

Full Sail: http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/

Silver Moon: http://www.silvermoonbrewing.com/index.html

Deschutes: http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/default.aspx

10 Barrel: http://www.10barrel.com/

Bend Brewing: http://www.bendbrewingco.com/default.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66

Good beer is a hobby of mine; here the selection is ok but somewhat limited to bigger name west coast stuff. Sierra nevada, deschutes, etc.
Sounds dangerous.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #10237
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Damn.

I love where I live but you're lucky in the NW; a brewery tour would be fantastic! Roll up for the night & get tasting..! Or maybe just roll up for the early afternoon...

Speaking of which, I'm just gonna crack that Chimay Premiere I picked up.

thistle66 screwed with this post 08-04-2010 at 04:27 PM
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #10238
CatCow
Crazy Trucker Dude

Oddometer: 44
TriumphTwinPower Brake Bracket Installed!

Finally got it on there - I hate doing brake work, no matter how easy it turns out to be. I always miss SOMETHING. Of course I never read directions either

My workshop - oh look, it's garbage day! At least it's a short throw to toss things out. (and yeah, those are KTM Duke mirrors - they don't go out as far as I would like, but the KTM shop didn't have the hinged mirrors, and these were at least a step up)

Before, from atop the Harbor Freight swingarm stand...

And after!

Not too bad as far as my brake projects have gone - especially considering this is the first time I've ever taken the wheel off this bike. I have to say that I found it somewhat easier to get the axle bolt back in than I did on my Honda Rebel Also took the opportunity to tighten up the chain a little, I always thought it was a little loose. Should be closer to the tight end of the spec now. I'll see how it rides and if it's worse I'll loosen it back up.
But the brake mount went in fine. Everything matched up well, at least once I got the brake line positioned properly. It was a bit stiff and didn't want to cooperate. The retainer clip under the swingarm from the original line had me scratching my head - do they put that thing on before they crimp the banjo fittings onto the end of the cable? Pliers got the metal open, but the plastic wouldn't come off in one piece, so I cut it off. Tried to re-use the clamp, but it snapped in the middle, so I replaced it with a hose clamp I had handy. Installed a speed bleeder while I was at it, I guess that helped a bit with bleeding it when everything was bolted back up. Which takes a while when you replace the whole brake line!

Everything is tightened up and ready to go, just need to take it for a ride now!

CatCow screwed with this post 08-04-2010 at 08:12 PM
CatCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #10239
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66

I live in Chico,where Sierra Nevada is made,Ive trail ridden with the owner of the place,hes a great guy and a heck of a businessman. Seems everything he touches turns to gold, Im not a big fan of the beer but it IS good consistent stuff, Im drinking a Porter at the moment by chance, Its my favorite of everything they make. They are growing hops on site and also barley at another of his properties,one of 3 breweries that does so. He has enough solar panels to run the whole place on some days. Its gotten to be a BIG place.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 08-05-2010 at 05:55 PM
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #10240
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
thistle, I'm not putting the ride together, but the guy organizing has these planned.

There are a LOT of brewerys in Oregon...

Hiccup

Walking Man: http://www.walkingmanbrewing.com/index.html

Double Mountain: http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/

Full Sail: http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/

Silver Moon: http://www.silvermoonbrewing.com/index.html

Deschutes: http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/default.aspx

10 Barrel: http://www.10barrel.com/

Bend Brewing: http://www.bendbrewingco.com/default.aspx
The Northern California Coast is getting to where they have a brewery in every decent sized town,most with a motel rt next door. Very handy for the coast rides I like so much, no matter where I go,there they are!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #10241
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Finally. Let the farkling begin!

Yesterday I finally brought my new-but-used 09 Scrambler home.

Still one or two more steps to go through in the importing process (WA to BC) but it should be all good.

Finally feel like a part of the club.... in that I can now relate to many of the comments.

Sore butt from a stock seat? Check.

Can't see any idiot lights while driving? Check.

Developed an obsessive compulsive continuous cancelling of the turn signal even though you know its off but you don't want to be 'that guy'? Check.

Grinning all the way? CHECK.

Mods and farkles forthcoming but I imagine I'll be doing all the usual....upgraded suspension, fly-screen, skid plate, engine bars, gel seat, etc. You all know the drill better than I.

In the meantime, even this mostly stock set up is great. It has the Arrow pipe so the biggest mod was already done for me.

Within the next 4-6 weeks I plan to take it on some of BC's more well-known bike loops....Duffey Lake Rd, Kootenay Lake etc.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread (and many others). I hope to contribute something noteworthy in the future as well.

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #10242
Maxacceleration
What now

Enjoy the ride Cord.
Its ok to lie and say your bike is a '65 when everyone asks!

Everybody asks how old my bike is...
Sounds dangerous.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #10243
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 310
Maybe you guys can help me out here. I was talking to the Triumph dealership in Kansas City, I made an offer of 8500 if they would give me 2000 trade in value on my honda, plus throw in the skid plate and crashbars. Now, I understand this is a bit of a low ball offer, but I've been raised to never pay sticker price, so I was expecting some good natured haggling. Apparently the Triumph dealer was having none of it.
He countered 8800 with the same stipulations. Basically I'd be paying for the accessories IN the price of the bike. FINE. I responded that I'd like more of a discount on the parts, and he acted like I just ran over his dog. He told me that I was getting the parts for free and how much more of a discount would I want. I responded that not only was I not getting the parts for free, but with financing I'd actually be paying MORE for the parts than if I just bought them and installed them myself. Then he basically implied that he was doing me a favor in trading in my Honda and that the deal was as good as it gets. I told him that I'd go and look elsewhere, and he told me that, "saddened him."

I've never bought a motorcycle new, so I don't know the procedure, but I don't feel like I was completely out of line in trying to get the best deal. And I certainly was not going to let the dealer's BS go uncalled. Anyway, I'm still going to try to get one of these babies, but not from the KC dealership.
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #10244
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar
Then he basically implied that he was doing me a favor in trading in my Honda
He's right on that one.

I don't know what the sticker price is there, but $300 is not that much as a % of the overall. I would keep haggling. Maybe start again from scratch as if the first haggle didn't take place. Be realistic about what your Honda is worth. He's got to make a profit on it after all. Once the prices of the bikes are done THEN go on and ask for good prices on the farkles. You may get them near trade price.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #10245
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,322
Or you could keep the Honda and buy a used Scrambler instead of a new one. It's not hard to find a good, low miles Scrambler for $5k or less.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote