Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #10441
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCole
A Scrambler goes to the Middle East. Finishing up a 10,000 mile tour from Germany down through the Balkans, around Turkey, into Syria and Jordan and back to Paris on a New York plated Scrambler. No problems except for 4 broken spokes, probably weakened from when I did the Trans Labrador in May. The suspension needs work though, after trashing the Hagon shocks that were on the bike when I bought it during the Trans Lab I ordered a set of YSS shocks from Bellacorse. The spring isn't up to the job though, the limited travel also became noticeable in eastern Turkey where road conditions can be very poor.

Awesome MCole! Have you written a Ride Report? I'd love to see and hear more.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #10442
lofoten
Emperor and Grand Wazoo

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats
That's the Twister. A racer built by Deus ex machina.
See this link: http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.co...r-at-deus.html
Thanks Mats.
Appreciate the reply
their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

—T. E. Lawrence from "Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
lofoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #10443
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration

With due respect blacktiger, its not 'your way or the highway'.
We all can have decent results with the style of carrying loads we want to achieve.
I never said my way was best. I'm just offering a reason for it moving so much, a reason for the rack NOT to support much weight and a solution to the problem.
What I was getting at in my last post is you're still using the rack which is the limiting factor to carrying more weight because it's bolted to the seat base through 4 small posts which will probably punch through the seat base. If you remove the rack the weight will be distributed across the seat base and into the rubber bungs underneath which why the pillion seat is able to support the pillion.
You say looks are important. Fair enough but you can't see the rack with your luggage arrangement anyway. So, why not remove the problem piece and sit your cross member directly onto the seat base?

blacktiger screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 09:22 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #10444
Schmeds
scarce

Oddometer: 6,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats
That's the Twister. A racer built by Deus ex machina.
See this link: http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.co...r-at-deus.html

I love how clean that is under the seat. Nothing but filters.

I take it that thing gets started on race rollers?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #10445
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
I never said my way was best. I'm just offering a reason for it moving so much, a reason for the rack NOT to support much weight and a solution to the problem.
What I was getting at in my last post is you're still using the rack which is the limiting factor to carrying more weight because it's bolted to the seat base through 4 small posts which will probably punch through the seat base. If you remove the rack the weight will be distributed across the seat base and into the rubber bungs underneath which why the pillion seat is able to support the pillion.
You say looks are important. Fair enough but you can't see the rack with your luggage arrangement anyway. So, why not remove the problem piece and sit your cross member directly onto the seat base?
Thinking it over and over again I think that a solid metal plate put from the other side under the plastic cover and the rack afterwards anchored to it (and not to the plastic) could solve it. Especialy if this metal plate is fixed to the frame. And how to do it? If it works I am ready to drill two holes to the nice but useless black plastic from above and fasten it with two stylish screws to the frame. Donīt ask me questios ... it is just an idea from the table but I think it combines your both ways and I believe itīs doable
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #10446
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
So, why not remove the problem piece and sit your cross member directly onto the seat base?
I'm working on it bt!

A few more of these and I should just about have it.
Sounds dangerous.

Maxacceleration screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 12:17 AM
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #10447
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen
Thinking it over and over again I think that a solid metal plate put from the other side under the plastic cover and the rack afterwards anchored to it (and not to the plastic) could solve it. Especialy if this metal plate is fixed to the frame. And how to do it? If it works I am ready to drill two holes to the nice but useless black plastic from above and fasten it with two stylish screws to the frame. Donīt ask me questios ... it is just an idea from the table but I think it combines your both ways and I believe itīs doable
Trying to think of a solution to this one idea I came up with was to fabricate a frame extention which attached to the existing frame by inserting rods into it's rear end (conveniently accessible by removing the 2 rubber bungs). Bent up and over, then around to the side attaching to the upper suspension points, with a couple of cross-pieces linking the two sides together. The advantage is strength - it would take as much weight as the subframe itself is capable of supporting, and also ease of attachment. There are issues given the two frame tubes are not parallel, but nothing that cannot be compensated for.
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #10448
Mats
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Twister encore

lofoten, Scmeds; here's some more info on The Twister that trustme got first hand. It's on page 470 of this thread. /Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
The Good Oil

Motor Bill Gatley big bore kit 989cc
42mm flat side carbs
Cams but no real head work yet
total loss ignition
Charging system all gone
Balance shaft gone
rebalanced crank
RH outer case is modded to hold ignition pick ups, further mods
coming so timing can be altered

Motor starts on electric starter, spins up real quick, surprisingly
smooth & quiet. Hoping to get 100 HP when finished

Frame Custom , 2 1/2 " shorter in wheelbase, mostly from the front
end to get weight forward
Custom triple clamps can be changed to alter steering
Forks kitted with Traxion Dynamic cartridges
Swing arm = standard
Shocks = Works Performance
Front caliper = Nissin
Rims = Alloy , don't know sizes

Feels really light when you lay it over.
They reckon it goes like a shower of shit, unfortunately no test ride so I can't confirm .
Details may not be exactly correct as info was coming faster than my tiny brain could handle.
No pics , I didn't want to push my luck

She's a bloody weapon mate.

Agent 86, over & out.
Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #10449
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,411
I finally got enough pieces and parts together to build a single bag mount for a Scrambler. Now I need a bike. Any guinea pigs in the Chico,Ca area. You'll get a free bag mount kit when all is said and down.
PM me if interested.
Cheers,
Chris
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #10450
crozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Hi All.

I'm looking at buying a scambler - and have a few questions for the experts. :)

- Opinions on EFI vs Carby? The local dealer has a carby model on the showroom that is discounted. My gut feel to to spend a bit extra on the EFI model.
- Opinions on the aftermarket 'arrow' exhaust? Worth the extra money? I do like the look of the stock twin pipes. I know staintune make a set, but i'm too affraid to ask how much they cost.
- Opinions on the single seat/rack combo vs just using the dual seat for carrying luggage. It seems a lot of this thread is dedicated to solving the luggage dilema - and I would like to be able to carry enough for 2-3 night camping.

I'm located in Melbourne, Australia. From what I see I have 1 local dealer. That doesn't put me in a strong position negotiating the price. Any tips from locals? Do peter stevens move much on the price? If so - what should I be looking to pay for a 2010 model?

Any other tips or suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers.
crozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #10451
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLX200
Trying to think of a solution to this one idea I came up with was to fabricate a frame extention which attached to the existing frame by inserting rods into it's rear end (conveniently accessible by removing the 2 rubber bungs). Bent up and over, then around to the side attaching to the upper suspension points, with a couple of cross-pieces linking the two sides together. The advantage is strength - it would take as much weight as the subframe itself is capable of supporting, and also ease of attachment. There are issues given the two frame tubes are not parallel, but nothing that cannot be compensated for.
Maybe cut the whole back of the bike off and weld a new set of tubes on? Then it might haul luggage ok.
I dont think they built this bike as a touring bike somehow.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #10452
Blumtnman
Rider

Oddometer: 273
Thumb Scarmbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crozz
Hi All.

I'm looking at buying a scambler - and have a few questions for the experts. :)

- Opinions on EFI vs Carby? The local dealer has a carby model on the showroom that is discounted. My gut feel to to spend a bit extra on the EFI model.
- Opinions on the aftermarket 'arrow' exhaust? Worth the extra money? I do like the look of the stock twin pipes. I know staintune make a set, but i'm too affraid to ask how much they cost.
- Opinions on the single seat/rack combo vs just using the dual seat for carrying luggage. It seems a lot of this thread is dedicated to solving the luggage dilema - and I would like to be able to carry enough for 2-3 night camping.

I'm located in Melbourne, Australia. From what I see I have 1 local dealer. That doesn't put me in a strong position negotiating the price. Any tips from locals? Do peter stevens move much on the price? If so - what should I be looking to pay for a 2010 model?

Any other tips or suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers.
I've owned both the efi and the carb model Scramblers, as far as I'm concerned if you ride mountains and sea level, then go for the efi. If you spend most of your time at sea level get the carby, the efi SEEMs to have a bit more power, ( seat of the pants observation only, no basis in fact ). The carby model has that undeniable thing, that soul thing that the efi doesn't have as much of. Again seat of the pants thing, get either model that you can get the best deal on. I have the Tor pipes on my Scrambler with a K&N air filter, they sound brilliant. Worth the money no worries, the 2 into 1 Arrows, very nice but not as loud. I think the 2 into 2 looks better, but subjective thing again. Buy one ride it love it, they're a great bike. .
Old 08-24-2010, 05:48 AM   #10453
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLX200
Jesus. Maybe everyone should just pack lighter and ride the damn thing
Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #10454
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
Jesus. Maybe everyone should just pack lighter and ride the damn thing

I'm going camping 2 nights off the Scrambler this weekend. I'll post up some picks of the Scrambler "loaded up" for camping in the coming week.

I've been an avid backpacker since high school. Experiencing the full weight of your stuff on your own back for a week or more will seriously change what you consider "essential" when you travel. Getting some decent backpacking gear will make a huge difference in how much space you need to travel/camp on a motorcycle.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #10455
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer

I'm going camping 2 nights off the Scrambler this weekend. I'll post up some picks of the Scrambler "loaded up" for camping in the coming week.

I've been an avid backpacker since high school. Experiencing the full weight of your stuff on your own back for a week or more will seriously change what you consider "essential" when you travel. Getting some decent backpacking gear will make a huge difference in how much space you need to travel/camp on a motorcycle.
Agreed. I was infantry while in the service, we'd have enough gear in one pack to survive for a month. Key word is Essential.