Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #10681
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivara
aren't there still minefields in that area?
They´ve been removing them for some time after the conflict in 2001. If there are any, I don´t think I will go that far and deep.... it is generally believed it´s clear now. BTW you reminded me how I almost entered a minefield on my Suzuki in 90-ies in Golans on Israeli-Syrian border...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #10682
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
"Safety Switch"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCole
Whats wrong with my Scrambler?

Started the bike up this morning for my commute and after riding about 200-300m the engine cut out on me suddenly and completely without any type of warning while I was going around 30mph. This acted as a massive engine brake and scared the hell out of me - my rear wheel was sliding all over the place and I barely retained control of the bike. If this had happened at highway speeds it could have been ugly!

I tried to start the bike up again but it wouldn't start, I tried later in the day and again it wouldn't start even though the battery was reading around 12.75V. The engine would turn over but wouldn't catch, because I kept trying I ran the battery down some so I ended up getting a jump start from someone. The bike started fine with the jump start but the engine cut out as soon as I pushed the choke in, so we jump started it again and I tried to ride it and once again the engine cut out while riding, this time after only 50m.

I thought it may have been out of gas - the reserve light came on yesterday but I only rode about 2 miles after the light came on so there should have been plenty left in there, to be sure I went and added a liter before jump starting it and the engine still cut out - either way I can't possibly see the engine just cutting out like that from lack of fuel, it would just putter out gradually.

I'm thinking it has to be an electrical problem but what? The bike was left out in the rain last night so something may have got wet, but what would make an engine just cut out completely without any warning while riding?

I'm probably going to take it to a shop as I need some other work done but I'd like to have an idea of what is wrong, especially as I just arrived here in Paris a few days ago and don't have a mechanic I trust yet.

Any ideas?

I am always quick to put blame on one of the safety switches, clutch or more likely in this case, the kickstand one.
When my carbed Scrambler runs low on fuel it has always been one one cylinder that cuts out first (never checked which one), I presume because the float levels aren't exactly the same or because it was leaning to one side or the other just prior. Either way it is much more convenient and provides better warning than my single carbed twin which stumbles slightly and cuts out altogether as I try to recall which way to turn the petcock for reserve. For this reason I am less likely to believe that it is a fuel problem but draining the bowls and topping off the tank are among the simplest things to do towards troubleshooting it (and if no fuel comes out of the bowls you get your answer quickly).

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #10683
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape
I am always quick to put blame on one of the safety switches, clutch or more likely in this case, the kickstand one.
When my carbed Scrambler runs low on fuel it has always been one one cylinder that cuts out first (never checked which one), I presume because the float levels aren't exactly the same or because it was leaning to one side or the other just prior. Either way it is much more convenient and provides better warning than my single carbed twin which stumbles slightly and cuts out altogether as I try to recall which way to turn the petcock for reserve. For this reason I am less likely to believe that it is a fuel problem but draining the bowls and topping off the tank are among the simplest things to do towards troubleshooting it (and if no fuel comes out of the bowls you get your answer quickly).

Bruce
Try this

I has similar

Take the two battery leads off scubb them with sandpaper and screw the terminal leads back on tight.

worked for me.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #10684
Romabuk
Hole in da pants

Oddometer: 114
If you think its the side stand cutout. Jumper the switch.

If you think its vapour lock. Test by loosening the tank cap, this would remove the vapour lock and the fuel will flow. If you find it suspect, put a diagonal cut/slice in the tank breather hose that hangs under the back of the engine.

I thought there was some kind of a float fuel switch by the carbs /seat area, on later models to stop fuel flow if the bike goes on its side. Check it out. Mines a 2006 so i'm not familiar with this. Just phone your local shop and they will tell you about it.
Romabuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #10685
MCole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
Try this

I has similar

Take the two battery leads off scubb them with sandpaper and screw the terminal leads back on tight.

worked for me.
Thanks for the advice everyone, going to work on it tomorrow and will report back
MCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #10686
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Scrambling
I've got almost 8,000 miles on my Metzler Tourances and have probably another 1 to 2,000 miles left in them. Are there any other tires out there that will go more than 10K?

If not, I'll slap another set on...
Ive never had any tire last more then 4500 miles,Congrats if you can get 8,000 on them.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #10687
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Ive never had any tire last more then 4500 miles,Congrats if you can get 8,000 on them.
I still have about 1000 to go on the rear, I am looking at maybe getting about 5500 to 6000 out of the rear trailwing. Does anyone know how much the dealer charges to change a tire?

Krahe screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 10:20 AM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #10688
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
I still have about 1000 to go on the rear, I am looking at maybe getting about 5500 to 6000 out of the rear trailwing. Does anyone know how much the dealer charges to change a tire?
My dealer does it for free if the tires are puchased there, but I have heard of people being charged up to $35 at some places, so call around.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #10689
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Cool, free labor would be nice. It must be a pain to get the back wheel off though, I wouldnt be surprised if they did charge for it. TANSTAAFL.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #10690
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCole
I was reading up on those reports of wet weather causing bikes to cut out on Triumph Rat - the difference seems to be that all those bikes cut out while riding in the rain and then had trouble starting, mine had been left out in the rain but started up no problem and then cut out on a sunny day and did the same thing later in the day. Definitely a possibility though. Haven't bothered to work on it yet as it's been raining here all day but hopefully I'll figure it out fairly easily.
I had a similar problem. Cut out in the rain, dried out for a couple of days, rode fine, then started cutting out again.

The dealer (covered under warranty) put dielectric grease on all the connections and trimmed the fuel overflow line. I haven't had any problems since and have ridden in several downpours this summer.
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #10691
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Headlight Upgrade

I've got just about everything sorted on this bike and am down to lights and shocks, so...

Has anyone switched out the stock headlight bulb to one of the PIAA high intensity bulbs? I thought I'd start with the simplest, quickest solution first but the bulbs are $50. Can anyone comment on whether there's a noticeable difference?
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #10692
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 291
The dealer (covered under warranty) put dielectric grease on all the connections and trimmed the fuel overflow line. I haven't had any problems since and have ridden in several downpours this summer.[/QUOTE]

Are those problems that all Scramblers have or is it isolated to the carbed version (or FI version for that matter.)
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #10693
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Scrambling
I've got just about everything sorted on this bike and am down to lights and shocks, so...

Has anyone switched out the stock headlight bulb to one of the PIAA high intensity bulbs? I thought I'd start with the simplest, quickest solution first but the bulbs are $50. Can anyone comment on whether there's a noticeable difference?
Someone did reccommend this bulb http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Enought that I ordered one. Haven't installed it yet - waiting til I get a 7" headlight sorted out.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #10694
sirclive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Sore arse not really

I rode 760 miles today from Washington DC almost at St. Louis MO.
The Scrambler was great. Routes 55 and 33 in West Virginia were nice. Curvy Then some interstate. Gliding along at about 85.
Sheepskin arse pad, 19 tooth and fly screen helped.
Impressed.
Love it.
Another big one the morrow on route to Boulder CO which apparently is on fire.
Sent From my iPhone at Crapplebees.
sirclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #10695
sirclive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Colorado/ lights

Hey Colorado Scrambling.
I'm on my way to Boulder from DC.
I fitted the Twisted Throttle Denali lights which are amazing.
Also I went Hagon front springs and Hagon Nitro rear which ate also great.
Not the only option of course but nice.
Hope to meet up in CO.
Cheers.
sirclive is offline   Reply With Quote