Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #10816

Oddometer: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoChicken
Thats a pretty sweet suicide shifter you got there. Just needs to be a bit longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #10817
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
Had 1 fitted , unfortunately it didn't make any difference when mine went down.Seems like the shaft is meant to break if it gets any real load on it, Earwig is probably on to it, you need to modify the gear lever so it snaps before the shaft does
You really woke me up ... if it is true I will think about a wire/string and connecting that damn shift to the frame so it wont turn around. Metal against metal
Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #10818
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
My gear lever stayed in its standard postion, the bendy toe bit was munted & the lever bent in aginst the case, I bent the lever back out, it moved up & down like normal but would not change gears, bike was stuck in 4th [ I think ]. Got it going rode it to the nearest farm & parked it up .
I guess it was better to snap the shaft than place real load or stress on the gearbox internals.

trustme screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 04:19 PM
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #10819
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedawg450
I don't know who thought to put a metal expansion joint just after the appex of a sweeping on ramp, but they didn't like motorcyclists much. Coming through the bend on a rainy evening I hit the joint and felt both tires let go, but as soon as I hit pavement again the Trail Attacks picked-up where they'd left off like it hadn't happened. I know a couple of us have switched to the Conti's, but they seem to get left out of tire discussions. 8000km in I still have little wear and a lot more confidence on the roads.
Thanks for this info - I will keep them in mind come tire changing time.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #10820
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
From what I've read on here there are a few people that have fitted a 140/80 but most of those, I think, did it because you get more tread on the Heidenau K60 in that size than you do on the 130/80. It's what I've just ordered for mine.
As for the 140 Tourance, I personally wouldn't bother because I don't think there's any advantage and you could mess up the sweet handling of these bikes.
Was worried about upsetting the handling, I went from a 120 to a 130 on my XR & that made a lot of difference. The 130 is a taller tyre, better on bumps & higher gearing plus with the wider patch & deeper tread it has lasted longer.

The 130 on the Scrambler feels a little small when 2up & was hoping to improve that side of things.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #10821
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen
... why not use the Honda CRX shifter? Fits like a glove, costs nothing and saves the show...

Which model does fit, and where can I get one?

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #10822
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick
Which model does fit, and where can I get one?
I used the Honda XR+CRF 50/70 ccm spare part, made of aluminium (Taiwan), costs about USD 20,-. Its much lighter, slightly shorter (max 1 cm) but my leg doesnt feel much difference. It should be sold everywhere ...
Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 AM   #10823
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,831
Ok guys ... read this thread over the last few weeks and had a 3 hour test ride ... now my question ... has anyone used a Thruxton to make a scram as 10bhp more seems a lot and i want to change the pipes and paint anyway

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:31 AM   #10824
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mb3r
Ok guys ... read this thread over the last few weeks and had a 3 hour test ride ... now my question ... has anyone used a Thruxton to make a scram as 10bhp more seems a lot and i want to change the pipes and paint anyway
You can get that 10bhp (and more) with a few mods.
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #10825
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Scrambler is not that much about horsepower (and as Chris said you may get it anyway) but it is mainly about the crankshaft which gives the character to the engine. Scrammies have 270 (more like V2 engine) and Thruxtons should have a 360 crankshaft ... I hope Im not mistaken
Old 09-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #10826
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLX200
You can get that 10bhp (and more) with a few mods.
Hi Chris
What sort of mods are you talking about and roughly how much ?

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #10827
Milko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Tangerine Dream

G'day - lurked here for some time with my trusty '89 Transalp, soaking up the great knowledge.

Thanks to this thread and the riders wrenchers and writers herein, bit the bullet today. 2008 model with coupla farkles and 483 km on the clock.

Happy as an Independent in Parliament ;-)

Be seeing you round.

cheers

Milko
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #10828
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
I have the Thruxton and the Scram, both standard tune. The Thruxton is quite a bit quicker but the low speed torque is nowhere near as good as the Scram. The scram is much nicer to ride around narrow country lanes without lots of gear changing and the Thruxton is great on twisty A roads. It all depends on how and where you want to ride.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #10829
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK
Was worried about upsetting the handling, I went from a 120 to a 130 on my XR & that made a lot of difference. The 130 is a taller tyre, better on bumps & higher gearing plus with the wider patch & deeper tread it has lasted longer.

The 130 on the Scrambler feels a little small when 2up & was hoping to improve that side of things.
I'm using a 140 Heidenau K60 on the rear and I haven't noticed any negative effects. So far, so good. Handling feels the same as with the 130. I keep seeing people get 10K out of the 140/150 rear K60's and I don't see why the same wouldn't be true on the Scrambler. Here's a 150 with 8700miles on it.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #10830
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
The other replies above are correct. The Scram and Thrux are different beasts. You can easily squeeze 10 more horses out of the Scrambler. You'll find more reading on performance mods over at TriumphRat.net and NewBonnevilleRiders.com. Some of the performance improvements can be had for little or nothing. Or, you can spend almost the cost of a new machine if you just have to have a 100+hp Scrambler.

It's true, these Triumphs can benefit from a little more power but the best improvements are an improved suspension and better tires. My suggestion is to start there and do a lot of reading/research about adding more hp.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote