Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #10861
Yani
b00b

Oddometer: 61
Orleib Dry Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike
Ey-up lads!

I'm just debating the wisdom of a single bag set-up and wondered if any of you fine gentlemen had any experience of this.

I would go for standard panniers, but I want the bike to be as slim as possible and as we all know the lovely high level pipes mean that any rack and bag on the right has to be pretty 'sticky-outy' to clear the end cans by 10cm.

Sooo, I'm thinking about something like this: http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/product_inf...otorcycle-bags or one half of a pair of Andy Strapz Expedition Pannierz.

I'd have to get a left-hand side rack fabbed up, but that wouldn't be an issue and I know Ortlieb gear is very good, so don't have any doubts about the quality, plus I like the idea of how it will look with just the solo bag. However, I don't know whether it will upset the balance of the bike. Of course this would depend on how heavily I loaded the bag, but is there anyone out there running a single sided set-up on long trips over varied terrain, who could let me know how they found it?

I've already switched out the headers and cans for much lighter ones, so the right side of the bike is already around 6kg (maybe more) down on what it was, but I'm not sure if the design originally compensated for the weight of the exhaust system. The Bonnie has pipe on each side, so unless the Scram has some ballast stashed somewhere on the left, I guess it could have been lop-sided any way and a bag on that side might actually even things up.

Any ideas?

Cheerz,

Mike

... If all else fails, I guess these might sit above the pipes without a rack at all: http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/product_inf...otorcycle-bags
Mike

Here's my set up dude:

I'm running the Orlieb Dry bag on the MC Resources Scrambler Specific Left Side Only rack from newbonneville http://www.newbonneville.com/html/luggage_brackets.html

I also bought the MC Resources Quick Mount from nb
http://www.newbonneville.com/html/quick_mounts.html

I took off the mounting hardware on the back of the Orlieb bag and mounted it on the MC Quick Mount. I had to use 1 in spacers between the bag and the mount to keep the bag from rubbing on the rear shock.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's pretty sturdy. Not in the picture but I usually even bungee my sleeping bag on top of it too. I usually only pack cloths in it. But even with a full load there is no noticeable listing to that side. Plus the bag is waterproof as advertised(altough I still pack my cloths in a garbage bag in it).

Hope this helps!

And you can no longer tell people about our fried pickles!
Yani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #10862
ean
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII
Tried to email Rhodie but no answer,
Anybody that know another way to purchase that awesome rear bracket they ar making?
Do you mean the brake caliper bracket?

http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/upno...er-bracket.php

Hope this helps
ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #10863
Herr_Raus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
from what I can see they changed the handlebars a bit too.. I can't use that leather handlebar brace.. Last picture is me with my Steve McQueen Triumph Jacket.. I know I'm a sucker for Triumph merchandise. Hey at least I'm supporting them in some way :)

Herr_Raus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #10864
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerKing
Mike

Here's my set up dude:

I'm running the Orlieb Dry bag on the MC Resources Scrambler Specific Left Side Only rack from newbonneville http://www.newbonneville.com/html/luggage_brackets.html

I also bought the MC Resources Quick Mount from nb
http://www.newbonneville.com/html/quick_mounts.html

I took off the mounting hardware on the back of the Orlieb bag and mounted it on the MC Quick Mount. I had to use 1 in spacers between the bag and the mount to keep the bag from rubbing on the rear shock.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's pretty sturdy. Not in the picture but I usually even bungee my sleeping bag on top of it too. I usually only pack cloths in it. But even with a full load there is no noticeable listing to that side. Plus the bag is waterproof as advertised(altough I still pack my cloths in a garbage bag in it).

Hope this helps!

Indeed it does, bro. Thanks. Deffo removed all doubt about the single-sided set up. Just gotta decide on whether I go for the Ortlieb, Wolfman or Andy Strapz solo bagola...

And that's one tough looking Scram you got there. Nice work.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #10865
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr_Raus
You still need to pull your boots up. I mean the fork gaitors.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #10866
DoubleCafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Gentlemen,
I'm new here, been on T-Rat for a year or so, mostly for Thruxton related stuff. It looks like there's alot more Scrambler activity on here.
In the future, I hope I don't ask too many stupid questions...

Mr Raus,

Nice looking bike.
I've found the best luggage set-up for me is a Renntec Rack with a Nelson Rigg pack attached. It's amazing how much gear and junk can be stuffed in to it. Also, for camping, I just strap my loaded backpack to the passenger area of the world's largest seat.

CoolerKing,
Is that a Tractor Supply tube? How have you got that mounted? It looks like a great set-up for toll storage!

Thanks
1982 Montesa Cota 349
DoubleCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #10867
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:

Some may like it, some may not ... but if I had it on my bike it would be among the first things to be removed. In my eyes its an overkill made by Hinckley... but generally your baby is a real sweetie (mind the fork gaitors )
Old 09-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #10868
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker
For that matter the Scrambler has those big ass pipes running down one side. They probably weigh more than anything you're likely to carry in a pannier.
You're on the money with that comment. The stock pipes weight exactly 15.1kg and most of that weight is in the mufflers at the back. (By comparison the Arrow system weighs exactly 4.6kg a saving of 7.5kg). I guess this explains why the bike wanted to steer to the right all the time the day I rode it home from the shop. Just kidding!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #10869
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
You're on the money with that comment. The stock pipes weight exactly 15.1kg and most of that weight is in the mufflers at the back. (By comparison the Arrow system weighs exactly 4.6kg a saving of 7.5kg). I guess this explains why the bike wanted to steer to the right all the time the day I rode it home from the shop. Just kidding!
Hahha! Yeah - I couldnt believe how hefty the TORs were when I junked 'em for a custom Supertrapp system

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #10870
Herr_Raus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
You still need to pull your boots up. I mean the fork gaitors.
yeah I know, I tried to do it but the screws don't come loose.. I can turn the screws all I want, it won't budge..

gonna try it again next weekend with some other tools.
Herr_Raus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #10871
Hallwine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I just joined advrider.
Picking up my 09 khaki scrambler on Friday. I can barely wait.
This is a brahmah thread I am only at about page 60...probably be caught up by the time I go to drop off the Speed triple and pick up the scrambler
Hallwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #10872
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallwine
I just joined advrider.
Picking up my 09 khaki scrambler on Friday. I can barely wait.
This is a brahmah thread I am only at about page 60...probably be caught up by the time I go to drop off the Speed triple and pick up the scrambler
Wellcome! You're located on the other side of the Park from me, but I get over that way sometimes (Ladybower is a nice run out).
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #10873
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
yeah I know, I tried to do it but the screws don't come loose.. I can turn the screws all I want, it won't budge..

gonna try it again next weekend with some other tools.
Just squirt some WD40 on the fork leg and they should just slide up with a bit of twisting and pulling.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #10874
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

I'm just getting ready to have a new rear tyre fitted and thought you all may be interested to see the old Heidenau K60 130/80 at 5000 miles. It's not done bad IMO because about 1700 of that was motorway to Norway and back....

This is a front Avon Distanzia on a friends bike. 14000 miles. Not too shaby either....

Whilst we're in the wheel area. I noticed a difference in the shine of the chrome between hers and mine. Both bikes have done similar mileages. Her wheels are regularly cleaned and the chrome is looking dull and a bit scratched....

Whereas mine is not cleaned between tyre changes and has emerged from under the crap quite nice and shiny....

Guess I'll be leaving mine dirty.....
Old 09-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #10875
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
Very nice bike's you have here! One day i'll drive a bonny too!

Post/ride on!