Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #12781
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
My guess is that traffic filtering or lane splitting as you call it is illegal in your state.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #12782
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
This is interesting:

From The guys at Classic Farm in Italy

http://www.classicfarmmotorcycles.com/home.htm
Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #12783
patiodadio
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
I picked my Scrambler up yesterday and today I added a few accessories (with many more to come) I also went on a 280 km ride.

Lookin' good
Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #12784
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Wicked Reminds me of a quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D View Post
This is interesting:

Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should!

Of course that's just me, it isn't mine and doesn't have to be built to my taste.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #12785
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Finally got some serious dirt....

Having had my Scram since last summer, I finally was able to get to a good full day of dirt/mud and fun riding. Participated in the Orca Run on Vancouver Island, hosted by DualSportBC.com (about 100+ riders of varying levels riding a choice of 3 routes (based on difficulty) and 2 nights of camping).

About to board the ferry:

Clean

Dirty

Dirtier

And a reward for Scram and owner:

All in all, a great event and good to get some longer miles on some challenging terrain. A few more adjustments and it will be all good!

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 AM   #12786
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
My guess is that traffic filtering or lane splitting as you call it is illegal in your state.
Yeah, it is, and in the neighboring state too. Still, it's um...nope, its still wider than a Goldwing.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #12787
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Leaky Scram—Hold or Sell?

Note that I'm cross-posting this from the Rat forum…

I'm riding an '08 Scrambler that I purchased in Sept of '09. The left side engine case was leaking oil so back to the shop it went. I just found out all three seals need to be replaced. The bike has almost 22,000 miles on the odometer. It's been in the shop before:

1. Cam cover seals replaced.
2. Engine crankcase seized—crankshaft and bearings replaced (took three months).
3. Cam cover seals replaced again.
4. Output shaft seal replaced.
5. Cam cover seals replaced once more. Hey, they did stop leaking!
6. And then today's news about the side case seals…

What's next? How many more places can this bike leak oil? This is my first motorcycle. It's never been crashed and I don't abuse it. Are oil leaks just inevitable with a motorcycle? So far all of the repairs have been covered under the Triumph factory warranty.

I am concerned that some machining was required on the case cover when the bike had the crankshaft replaced—the same side that's now leaking. Note that this was over 12,000 miles ago, so maybe that's not a valid concern.

So…

1. I can keep it. My original intention was to ride this bike until it wore out. Maybe I should purchase an extended warranty? If so, from whom?
2. Trade it in. I rode (and really like) the new Tiger. I would rather it be an "addition to" and not a "replacement for" the Scram though.
3. Sell it and start over. It's clean, but something tells me the mileage is higher than most of the Scramblers on the used market.

The older I get the less I care about "stuff", but I'm really attached to the Scram.
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #12788
kellis
Fair Weather Rider

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D View Post
This is interesting:

Just needs the sidecar with a machine gun mounted

History:- K1200RS, XT600E, R100/7, FZR1000RU, GSX750F, XV535 (sorry), BSA A65L, XT500E, CB200.
kellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #12789
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
ColoradoKevin,

I'd probably trade it in on the new T800 if I were you. I tend to get frustrated with machines that continually give me problems, and life is too short for that.

So happens I own both a Scrambler and a T800. I actually had two Scramblers and traded one of them in on the new Tiger. As much as I enjoy the Scram, I'm now considering selling the second one as well. The T800 is just so much more capable than the Scrambler. It doesn't have the same cool factor, but it's a better bike in every other way, and is pretty cool in it's own right.

By the way, I never found a drop of oil leaking anywhere on either of my '06 Scramblers.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #12790
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellis View Post
Just needs the sidecar with a machine gun mounted

Thats what I was thinking . Add a Ural sidecar and that would be cool.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #12791
akokie
Boomer Sooner

Oddometer: 44
triumph flyscreen question

I think I may already know the answer to this, but ima askin anyways...

i recently got the triumph flyscreen (not the dart) and it arrived sans instructions. i am not exactly sure where the attachment points are for the brackets- i've got them successfully attached to the flyscreen, but where does it connect to the bike? the angle of the brackets led me to first install the flyscreen to the two bolts on the bottom of the speedo- but it's somewhat apparent that this ain't right. it works, but looks goofy. i notice there are some hex bolts holding the clip that contains the wiring on the front end around the headpipe- those look like the only alternative, but ii'm not certain -hence the question.
anybody have the triumph flyscreen attached?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #12792
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by akokie View Post
I think I may already know the answer to this, but ima askin anyways...

i recently got the triumph flyscreen (not the dart) and it arrived sans instructions. i am not exactly sure where the attachment points are for the brackets- i've got them successfully attached to the flyscreen, but where does it connect to the bike? the angle of the brackets led me to first install the flyscreen to the two bolts on the bottom of the speedo- but it's somewhat apparent that this ain't right. it works, but looks goofy. i notice there are some hex bolts holding the clip that contains the wiring on the front end around the headpipe- those look like the only alternative, but ii'm not certain -hence the question.

I just put mine on. It attaches to the two bolts that hold the headlight to the mounting bracket. I had to look on their website myself to fiqure it out. I think the Dart and the Triumph unit are pretty close?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #12793
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by akokie View Post
i notice there are some hex bolts holding the clip that contains the wiring on the front end around the headpipe- those look like the only alternative, but ii'm not certain -hence the question.
My '06 came with the Triumph screen already installed when I bought it, and it is attached with the hex bolts you are looking at. In fact, the clip for the wiring has been removed and the screen is installed in it's place. You should be able to look up the installation instructions on the Triumph website. All you need is the part number for the kit.

And no, the Triumph screen does not install like the Dart screen at all. I had a Dart on the other Scrambler that I just traded off for a T800.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #12794
akokie
Boomer Sooner

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
It attaches to the two bolts that hold the headlight to the mounting bracket.
not on mine it doesnt.

Quote:
In fact, the clip for the wiring has been removed and the screen is installed in it's place.
thanks for the verification. so i guess there's no room for the clip and screen brackets both. davevv is your wiring zip tied or something? just hangin loose? does it even matter?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #12795
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKevin View Post

1. I can keep it. My original intention was to ride this bike until it wore out. Maybe I should purchase an extended warranty? If so, from whom?
2. Trade it in. I rode (and really like) the new Tiger. I would rather it be an "addition to" and not a "replacement for" the Scram though.
3. Sell it and start over. It's clean, but something tells me the mileage is higher than most of the Scramblers on the used market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
ColoradoKevin,

I'd probably trade it in on the new T800 if I were you. I tend to get frustrated with machines that continually give me problems, and life is too short for that.

So happens I own both a Scrambler and a T800. I actually had two Scramblers and traded one of them in on the new Tiger. As much as I enjoy the Scram, I'm now considering selling the second one as well. The T800 is just so much more capable than the Scrambler. It doesn't have the same cool factor, but it's a better bike in every other way, and is pretty cool in it's own right.

By the way, I never found a drop of oil leaking anywhere on either of my '06 Scramblers.
I tend to agree with Davevv and go with #2 in your list. That maybe because that's exactly what I'm going to do very soon, maybe today even.
Like Dave I've never had a leak from my Scram in the "two point five" years I've owned it so I think you've managed to buy a lemon. They do occur occasionally.
I would definitely get rid of the one you've got. Whether you get another one for the style is purely your choice but as Davevv points out the T800 is so much more capable than the Scram you might never ride it.