Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 AM   #13186
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
I was wondering if there was any one in South Eastern Queensland that has a Scrambler with a stock but preferably an Arrow exhaust that would be able to lend their bike for a day to Locky from mtdtours.com who is located at Wurtulla so that he can make up a set of pannier racks.

I am trying to get a set of panniers for my Scram and I know that Locky makes a very good product (I had them on my DR) the only problem is that I live in Canberra and it is a very long way to go.
Calling Mr Grizzlybear...?
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #13187
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D View Post
I have owned several bikes that came from the insurance auction. Most of them I fixed and sold but a couple I ended up keeping including a $300 BMW R90/6 that I was able to ride home. late model bikes still go pretty high at the auction because of the value of the parts.

If you could get it reasonable it would be a great starting point for a custom bike. I'd love to build a dirt-only bike with motocross suspension but powered by a Triumph twin.

I'm glad you two are alright. I just had two close calls with a deer in less than 24 hours and think I am going to take a couple days off from riding till I get my 'sea legs' back again.

Maxacceleration - I think you are right. I don't have the expertise to really do a quality build as Furious would do. I'd like to imagine that I have the skills and that if I took my time I could eventually get it, but realistically, I need something I can rely on out of the gates.

I'm leaning towards getting another Scram, but will probably focus more on keeping it street than dirtworthy. I have an 89 bmw gspd that I should be using more for dirt and probably should have had it on the last trip anyway.

Sorry if the pic feels like a hijack on the Scrammie thread, but I think I'll be using this in the dirt much more in the future. Needs a few $$ spent on it for me to have complete confidence, but it's already been modded with a custom front to take some punishment....

CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #13188
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,886
Awesome Beemer Cord!
Don't beat on that baby, cherish it.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #13189
Hallwine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I am taking my Scram to Norway on Tuesday for a couple of weeks, finally going to happen.
For anyone planning such fun... The Immingham to Brevik ferry is still running but they have no spare space for non commercial passengers. So I am going from Tilbury to Gothenberg (Sweden)
Hallwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #13190
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
Sorry if the pic feels like a hijack on the Scrammie thread, but I think I'll be using this in the dirt much more in the future. Needs a few $$ spent on it for me to have complete confidence, but it's already been modded with a custom front to take some punishment....

If it's anything like the one I had, you'll be needing lots of gearbox rebuilds and new drive shafts. The lack of reliability prompted my move onto Triumphs.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #13191
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallwine View Post
I am taking my Scram to Norway on Tuesday for a couple of weeks, finally going to happen.
For anyone planning such fun... The Immingham to Brevik ferry is still running but they have no spare space for non commercial passengers. So I am going from Tilbury to Gothenberg (Sweden)
Enjoy your trip...

Click for slide show.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #13192
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
If it's anything like the one I had, you'll be needing lots of gearbox rebuilds and new drive shafts. The lack of reliability prompted my move onto Triumphs.

It's also one of the reasons I moved to the Triumph. I had originally planned to sell it when I bought the Scram, but after several months I decided to keep it and make a project of the bits that need some work, plus I could take my time in learning it's mechanics. But in the words of the previous owner (who is responsible for most of the 127k miles on it and rode it all through North, Central and South America) "with just a new drive shaft, I'd ride it to Mexico tomorrow".

Ok - hijack is over on that.
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #13193
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
But in the words of the previous owner (who is responsible for most of the 127k miles on it and rode it all through North, Central and South America) "with just a new drive shaft, I'd ride it to Mexico tomorrow".
So he lives in southern Arizona then?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #13194
dfhmotor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
A jack pine is a just a scrambler....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post

Is it just me or is this Hammerhead JackPine just a tarted up scrambler. Dont get me wrong, it is set up really sweet and has me teetering on the brink of buying a scrambler, but with your well versed scrambling eyes tell me what is different. To me it is just an execution of well chosen accessories. Some carbs, big bore kit, suspension work, exhaust, different fender and a modified seat. Sure there is a different oil cooler and bars as well as cleaned up wiring, but this is just what you all do naturally. You buy your bike, ride it around a bit, throw your wallet at it, and poof you post pictures on advrider. Am I missing what makes this bike drastically different? This is just a good collection of doable modifications correct?

Granted, I am posting because I seriously want this bike or more realistically have been plotting on modding a second hand scrambler in similar fashion. I love it. It is set up really well from this side of the screen, but what does the snake oil taste like that Hammerhead is selling? This is just an accessorized Scrambler right?

Please advise and appease my internet droolings...
dfhmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #13195
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Mmmmmmm....... snake oil......

http://www.hammarhead.com/motorcycles/jack-pine
Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #13196
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhmotor View Post
Is it just me or is this Hammerhead JackPine just a tarted up scrambler. Dont get me wrong, it is set up really sweet and has me teetering on the brink of buying a scrambler, but with your well versed scrambling eyes tell me what is different. To me it is just an execution of well chosen accessories. Some carbs, big bore kit, suspension work, exhaust, different fender and a modified seat. Sure there is a different oil cooler and bars as well as cleaned up wiring, but this is just what you all do naturally. You buy your bike, ride it around a bit, throw your wallet at it, and poof you post pictures on advrider. Am I missing what makes this bike drastically different? This is just a good collection of doable modifications correct?

Granted, I am posting because I seriously want this bike or more realistically have been plotting on modding a second hand scrambler in similar fashion. I love it. It is set up really well from this side of the screen, but what does the snake oil taste like that Hammerhead is selling? This is just an accessorized Scrambler right?

In answer to your vexed questions, yes yes yes yes and good. You are correct on all counts! But what makes it drastically different? You'll have to ride one and find out as it's one of those bikes that better felt than telt. BTW, great video, thanks for sharing!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #13197
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhmotor View Post

Yes and no.

A lot of what Hammarhead has done are bolt on parts and some are not. By far the best thing he's done to the Scrambler is cut lots of weight. And to my knowledge his build does not include a big bore kit. Loosing 50+ lbs, a Zard exhaust and CR carbs will make any Scrambler go like that one does. The 865 twin engines have plenty of power ready to be coaxed out of them.

What he's done that isn't bolt on and may not be obvious at first glance is removing the oil cooler and cutting off parts of the frame here and there. Something very few Scrambler owners do to their machines. Especially if it's a daily driver or used with a passenger. Completely do-able though.

It's a great build and I love it. I wouldn't want to try to recreate the Jack Pine with my Scrambler though. If I had a second one...

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #13198
dfhmotor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer View Post
Yes and no.

A lot of what Hammarhead has done are bolt on parts and some are not. By far the best thing he's done to the Scrambler is cut lots of weight. And to my knowledge his build does not include a big bore kit. Loosing 50+ lbs, a Zard exhaust and CR carbs will make any Scrambler go like that one does. The 865 twin engines have plenty of power ready to be coaxed out of them.

What he's done that isn't bolt on and may not be obvious at first glance is removing the oil cooler and cutting off parts of the frame here and there. Something very few Scrambler owners do to their machines. Especially if it's a daily driver or used with a passenger. Completely do-able though.

It's a great build and I love it. I wouldn't want to try to recreate the Jack Pine with my Scrambler though. If I had a second one...

Yeah, I think at first they ditched the oil cooler, but now it seems that there is one. I dont know about the big bore kit, but why not right!

The parts that they cut off are the passenger foot pegs, rear subframe end, and the bits just before the cylinder head/valve cover. Is that a lot of weight? Still looks like stock wheels, what else is there?

I guess that I bring all this up because it seems like I could do all of this over a weekend. Grinder, check. Accessories bought online and delivered by "Brown Santa", check. Two rattle cans of black spray paint, check. Done.

I know that there was a lot of thought put into the build and the hidden blinkers and relocated wiring would all take time, but this is tangible no? This is not a complete overhaul, a Kenny Dreer Norton, nor a Richard Pollock Mule. I am not trying to steal the wind from their sails but rather trying to access my mechanical skills and abilities in hopes making something similar. This a doable project bike.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #13199
dfhmotor
Adventurer

looking for pics....
Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #13200
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Yeah, that's about right. It's nothing impossibly hard at all. You're right, it looks like they're cooling the oil in the frame now instead of not at all. The stock exhaust is almost 30lbs and the little Zard Cross is just over 6lbs.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote