ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #1321
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 10,385
Riddle me this...

I have the adventure bike spectrum pretty well covered- KTM950A, Aprilia CapoNord, and KTM640E. They're all good for how I use them.

I've had a couple of TransAlps and really liked them. I have over 40,000 miles on Triumph triples and generally liked them (and Triumph as a company) a lot. I like the looks of the Scrambler as well as the general idea and size (sort of like a modern TransAlp)

I've test ridden stock Scramblers (road only) twice as part of Triumph events (most recently last Saturday), and quite frankly wasn't very impressed either time. The engine performance seems a bit flat and characterless, wasn't particularly comfortable, and suspension compliance/action wasn't all that great.

So why is it that every time I browse through this thread I keep thinking that with some of the engine and other mods I see people doing that I could be happy with this bike; as a potential replacement for both the 640 and 950?

So, anyone in the NYC metro area have a suitable "worked" Scrambler available for a ride swap (your choice on which bike) doing a typical NJ mixed surface day ride? I guarantee you'll enjoy the route!

wpbarlow screwed with this post 04-30-2008 at 12:57 PM
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #1322
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
I have the adventure bike spectrum pretty well covered- KTM950A, Aprilia CapoNord, and KTM640E. They're all good for how I use them.

I've had a couple of TransAlps and really liked them. I have over 40,000 miles on Triumph triples and generally liked them (and Triumph as a company) a lot. I like the looks of the Scrambler as well as the general idea and size (sort of like a modern TransAlp)

I've test ridden stock Scramblers (road only) twice as part of Triumph events (most recently last Saturday), and quite frankly wasn't very impressed either time. The engine performance seems a bit flat and characterless, wasn't particularly comfortable, and suspension compliance/action wasn't all that great.

So why is it that every time I browse through this thread I keep thinking that with some of the engine and other mods I see people doing that I could be happy with this bike; as a potential replacement for both the 640 and 950?

So, anyone in the NYC metro area have a suitable "worked" Scrambler available for a ride swap (your choice on which bike) doing a typical NJ mixed surface day ride? I guarantee you'll enjoy the route!
I don't think there's any amount of work you can do to a Scrambler that's going to make it feel anywhere near your 640 or 950. Two different animals and if you weren't impressed on your demo rides then I don't know if you'd ever be happy on one. I'm the exact opposite, I rode Jodie's new Bonneville and liked it but knew I wanted a Scrambler and not a Bonnie. I also knew the Scrambler was down on power compared to the Bonnie, but I've been happily surprised by it and have no need or desire to look for more. I'm coming off my RT that has twice the HP and torque of the Scrambler but to me the Scrambler sure doesn't feel down on power, thoroughly enjoying riding it between snow storms here.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #1323
trustme
Studly Adventurer
 
trustme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Auckland , New Zealand
Oddometer: 948
I agree with Bross ,the KTMs & the Scram are from opposite mindsets. Off seal the kTMs in competent hand will dust the scram in no time , but I venture to suggest the 640 is not your favourite tourer & when the going is tight the 950 is a handfull & you wish you were on the 640. The Scram sits sort of in the middle but way off to one side, it will tour better than the 640, less intimidating than the 950 on gravel ,but if you like the KT way of doing things you will get frustrated with the Scram
Lots of us here like the way the scram operates, warts & all
Are you ready for the change in mindset ??
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #1324
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler
 
Rhodie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: South East Asia
Oddometer: 373
I would have to agree that equating the Scrambler's performance against those KTMs leaves a lot to be desired, if you are wanting a true off-road performer.
However, before there are screams of "heresey", the Scrambler is a very capable performer within its more modest and sometimes hamstrung paramaters.
For those of us who have persevered it can be an absolute blast - where its simplicity and rugged construction can endure and more importantly still be repaired in out of the way places.
Which is not always possible with a KTM, when you are without dealership backup.

Cheers
Rhodie
Bangkok
__________________
"Perils he sought not, but ne'er shrank to meet;
The scene was savage, but the scene was new;
This made the ceaseless toil of travel sweet,
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #1325
tri boy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: No nuke zone
Oddometer: 722
Keep the KTM's. They do the more serious trails way better than the Triumph. (although, I did have fun slowing right down to near idle on very steep, gnarly hills last weekend, while still sitting on the seat of the scrambler, while BMW's, KTM's and the like struggled to keep momentum behind me)
The Scrambler is best viewed as a fantastic camping/rally m/cycle, that will follow the brands into 80% of territory they take on.
Plus the styling and charm (and the gobs of low down grunt) will give it a special place in your riding memory when your close to farting dust.
It's a simple, strong, fun bike.
__________________
Trav'ln great distance....cause i just gotta.
tri boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #1326
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: R.I
Oddometer: 262
I posted my off-raod riding report in the triumphrat site last week, heres a few thoughts since lots of us have gotten them lately. I think its pretty representative of how most feel


Took it on some fire roads, bike went great, 30-40mph sitting down, a little front wheel slide when turning on soft sand, but body shifting fixed that

Some wide trails, bike went okay but if you get into a dead end with out much room, 500lbs backing up in a 5x5 ft area is tough.

Open grassy trails, bike went great, little crouching and bike went over bumps and ruts well.

Got confindent and saw some soft sand hills, ok but bike slides easily. Next problem, bike got stuck in 3-4" of beach-type sand, after cussing and backing up, the 270* engine torque got me out and up the hill. Gonna avoid the soft deep sand on hills.

I'd say for fire roads and wide trails, bike goes great. Tires were fine despite what many say about the deathwings. I was going 30-40mph while croutching and I went over the whoop-de-doos fine.

If I were to do more off roading, i would say the shocks should be changed. I may add a skidplate to keep the engine protected. All in all, very fun day riding and great except for the soft sand going up a hill.

The stock pipes are actually nice as they dont draw attention to you. I will say the 270* crank comes in handy when your in 1st and need to get up a hill in sand.
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #1327
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 10,385
Thanks for the replies. I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I know the Scrambler could never become what the 640 and 950 are; and wouldn't want it to be. At 60, I'm not all the far from "farting dust" (as it was so eloquently put ); so even though I like the KTMs a lot, for the way I mostly use them I don't think something softer yet still capable would be a problem.

A mid displacement twin is attractive to me. The new GS800 seems too much like an underpowered 950 (power-weight ratio). So that leaves the Scrambler and.... another 89-90TransAlp. I liked the TransAlps I had (which were modified pretty well) better than the stock Scramblers I rode; but was interested to see if a modified one would change that.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #1328
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer
 
queenpdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Thanks for the replies. I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I know the Scrambler could never become what the 640 and 950 are; and wouldn't want it to be. At 60, I'm not all the far from "farting dust" (as it was so eloquently put ); so even though I like the KTMs a lot, for the way I mostly use them I don't think something softer yet still capable would be a problem.

A mid displacement twin is attractive to me. The new GS800 seems too much like an underpowered 950 (power-weight ratio). So that leaves the Scrambler and.... another 89-90TransAlp. I liked the TransAlps I had (which were modified pretty well) better than the stock Scramblers I rode; but was interested to see if a modified one would change that.
I wanna jump in here. Keep in mind, it's just one woman's perspective. After years of BMW ownership, and the dissapointment of a delayed release of the F800GS (which I had a deposit down on) I decided it was time to try something different. I now have about 300 miles on the Scrambler (also between snow storms ) and I can say for sure it is different. In this case, for me, different is good and refreshing. For some reason the Scrambler was calling to me. The Scrambler has not blown my mind, but she is good clean (or dirty) fun!

I have added the Triumph Off Road mufflers, YSS shocks, windscreen, skidplate, etc. etc. etc. At this point I have spent almost as much as I would have on the F800, but that is half the fun of motorcycle ownership. This weekend I am replacing the air filter with a Uni, rejetting carbs, throwing on a Rentec rack, and whatever else comes to mind. None of these mods seemed a neccesity to me (other than the cans because I really didin't like the stock ones) but it's just so much fun to customize this bike. I have made it mine and it already feels like a machine with great soul. Something I never felt with the modern BMW's I have owned. Oh, and the shocks really transformed the handling. She can scratch with the big boys.

I came from a R1150R, and the Scrambler does not feel underpowered to me (and with a few mods you will get a decent hp bump). On occasion I have been looking for another gear on the hi-way, but once I realize my mistake I just settle in and cruise. This bike does everything pretty good. There are not many bikes you can say that about. Commuting, day tripping, light touring, twisties, dirt roads, wide trails - and after all that she is still drop dead gorgeous.

If you accept the Scrammy for what it is, and you make a few "personalizing" changes, you will enjoy it immensely- I promise. But, if you think you're getting mind blowing power or performance you will be dissapointed. If she is calling your name maybe you should listen?
__________________
Two wheels good

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #1329
White Tenere
Look a moose
 
White Tenere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 721


White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #1330
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.
 
Mista Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Oddometer: 15,737
As ever, QD, well put! I think the Scrambler gets down to the essence of motorcycling compared to the newer, funkier looking bikes. And for most of us, it is such an all-round good (and good looking) player in the days of specialized bikes that it is refreshing. Kinda like back in the days when one car/boat/canoe/pair of boots/tent/fishing rod/shotgun/coat was all you needed, and to have more was just a waste of money.

Also, nice pics Yosemite!
__________________
-
"The turd follows the fart as surely as the rain follows the plow."

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #1331
milkman
can't find my screwdriver
 
milkman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Steak and Kidney Inmate
Oddometer: 137
wpbarlow,maybe you're a really picky guy, with the current stable you have and you're still searching - but at worst the Scrambler would be the best looker when your in the shed admiring them all

I wasn't sure for ages which Triumph i wanted, but always kept coming back to the Scrambler. I looked at other bikes and brands I liked, but knew I had to get this bike, good or bad, and put the wondering to rest.

Glad I did
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #1332
Retrorider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
I wanna jump in here. Keep in mind, it's just one woman's perspective. After years of BMW ownership, and the dissapointment of a delayed release of the F800GS (which I had a deposit down on) I decided it was time to try something different. I now have about 300 miles on the Scrambler (also between snow storms ) and I can say for sure it is different. In this case, for me, different is good and refreshing. For some reason the Scrambler was calling to me. The Scrambler has not blown my mind, but she is good clean (or dirty) fun!

I have added the Triumph Off Road mufflers, YSS shocks, windscreen, skidplate, etc. etc. etc. At this point I have spent almost as much as I would have on the F800, but that is half the fun of motorcycle ownership. This weekend I am replacing the air filter with a Uni, rejetting carbs, throwing on a Rentec rack, and whatever else comes to mind. None of these mods seemed a neccesity to me (other than the cans because I really didin't like the stock ones) but it's just so much fun to customize this bike. I have made it mine and it already feels like a machine with great soul. Something I never felt with the modern BMW's I have owned. Oh, and the shocks really transformed the handling. She can scratch with the big boys.

I came from a R1150R, and the Scrambler does not feel underpowered to me (and with a few mods you will get a decent hp bump). On occasion I have been looking for another gear on the hi-way, but once I realize my mistake I just settle in and cruise. This bike does everything pretty good. There are not many bikes you can say that about. Commuting, day tripping, light touring, twisties, dirt roads, wide trails - and after all that she is still drop dead gorgeous.

If you accept the Scrammy for what it is, and you make a few "personalizing" changes, you will enjoy it immensely- I promise. But, if you think you're getting mind blowing power or performance you will be dissapointed. If she is calling your name maybe you should listen?

Which YSS shocks did you get?
Retrorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #1333
Retrorider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
I have the adventure bike spectrum pretty well covered- KTM950A, Aprilia CapoNord, and KTM640E. They're all good for how I use them.

I've had a couple of TransAlps and really liked them. I have over 40,000 miles on Triumph triples and generally liked them (and Triumph as a company) a lot. I like the looks of the Scrambler as well as the general idea and size (sort of like a modern TransAlp)

I've test ridden stock Scramblers (road only) twice as part of Triumph events (most recently last Saturday), and quite frankly wasn't very impressed either time. The engine performance seems a bit flat and characterless, wasn't particularly comfortable, and suspension compliance/action wasn't all that great.

So why is it that every time I browse through this thread I keep thinking that with some of the engine and other mods I see people doing that I could be happy with this bike; as a potential replacement for both the 640 and 950?

So, anyone in the NYC metro area have a suitable "worked" Scrambler available for a ride swap (your choice on which bike) doing a typical NJ mixed surface day ride? I guarantee you'll enjoy the route!
Walter,
I have a KTM 525 EXC, access to my son's KTM 950 Adventure, and a stock Scrambler. I ride the 525 in singletrack and wouldn't trade it for any other for serious dirt. When I borrow my son's 950, it is for its ability to carry lots of luggage and still go thru the twisties as nimble as any sport bike. Funny thing, I always find a reason to ride the Scrambler. In reality, I make up reasons to ride the Scrambler. I doubt that I will ever take it in singletrack, and it isn't the best design for lots of luggage for the overnights, but it makes me smile everytime I look at it, throw my leg over, start it up and take off. I ride it 90% of time over the course of a year. I just enjoy riding it and the pure pleasure it always brings. The mods can make it do certain things better, but the joy is in the essence of its ride. It is not for everyone, either you love it or you don't. Love knows no reason.
Mike
Retrorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:56 AM   #1334
CITYXSLICKER
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Sequimish, for now
Oddometer: 80
Nice right up

Always good to see the pics and reviews from you DD. Had I not got the Dirty Orange CityX that scrambler would be in the garage. I just cant get the dirt outta my system.

Adventure is taking inappropriate equipment to out of the way places
CITYXSLICKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:09 AM   #1335
trustme
Studly Adventurer
 
trustme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Auckland , New Zealand
Oddometer: 948
We read like a bunch of silly old farts stuck in a time warp , still watching Star Trek , Star Wars, bah humbug.

And whats wrong with that.!!
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014