User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #13396
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,818
battery problems

Anybody else have problems with the smaller battery they are installing in the fuel injected bikes? Mine didn't last even six months. It would no longer keep a charge and I had to get a new one. The oddball size means there are no other brands or models that fit.

I also installed one of those headlight control modules (about $20 from New Bonneville) that prevent the headlight from coming on when you first turn the key on. The parking lamp comes on though. After starting the motor you just flash or hit the beam switch to fire up the headlight. The fuel injection system is so touchy about getting enough voltage before it will engage the starter that this cheap mod should help me get started when the battery is down a bit.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #13397
MalteseFalcn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Nice! My favorite color!
I have been on and off the fence for 3 or 4 years about buying a Scrambler the one thing that holds be back is commuting and 2 up. (well that's 2)
How capabel as a road bike is the Scram for commuting 60-80 miles a day?
What about the occasional trip 2 up?
I am currently riding a Buell Ulysses XB12XP and 2 up and commuting is excellent. I can really eat up some miles on the Uly and I don't really want to suffer much.
One more question, I had a Sportster one time for about 2500 miles (3 months)
Bought it and couldn't wait to get rid of it, is the Scram compact feeling and as harsh a ride as the Sporty?
Ken
I have a '10 Scrambler and an '01 Sportster, and "night and day" doesn't even begin to compare the two. Take the Sporty, then remove the excess weight and under-power (mine's an 883), then take away the vibrations, then add in much better handling, then add in all the nice compliments I get on my Scram. Then they are close.
MalteseFalcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #13398
MalteseFalcn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by timspong View Post
I am planning on getting a scrambler within the next few months. I live in the N.VA part of DC commuter belt. Who is the best triumph dealer around here? The only one I know is Frederick MD. Also is it possible to order a new scrambler in the US with the arrows pipe as the aforementioned dealer says you can't.

Thanks
There's a Triumph dealer in Dover, DE that is not too far from you. But you may have to do some calling around re: inventory. A dealer in PA just recently told me that after GQ (or whatever men's magazine that was) ran the silly pictorial that we made fun of, calling the green Scrambler the definitive "man's bike!", well dealers up and down the east coast promptly sold out, and many won't be getting more until next year.

I have not polled east coast dealers to verify this. Just passing along what I was told.
MalteseFalcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #13399
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
Anyone running Wilbers on the Scrambler? I am working my way through my planned mods and I will be looking to the rear suspension next. I was going to get Ohlins as I run an Ohlin on my Ducati and like it. I just "found" Wilbers and they seem to be compared to Ohlins quite a bit. I am looking for a non-remote (no piggyback) setup.
Anyone?
Thanks!

No Wilbers knowledge here but, from what I've read, if I was going for shocks again I'd look very hard indeed at the non-piggyback YSS shocks as my first choice.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #13400
9mmMike
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66 View Post
No Wilbers knowledge here but, from what I've read, if I was going for shocks again I'd look very hard indeed at the non-piggyback YSS shocks as my first choice.

These?

BCC-140 Model Z362TRL:
Available Lengths: 280 mm, 300 mm, 310 mm, 320 mm, 330 mm, 340 mm, 350 mm, 360 mm

Type: Self Adjusting Gas Emulsion Shock
Features: Threaded Pre-Load Adjustment, Rebound Adjustment 60 Clicks, Ride Height Adjuster (Length Adjuster +10)
Application: Standard/T100, Thruxton, Scrambler, America/Speedmaster.

9mmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #13401
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,818
Works Performance shocks are made in California if you want to support the "made in USA" economy. Mine cost about $500 and work great. I ordered them 10mm longer than stock for a little extra suspension travel.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #13402
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Nice! My favorite color!
I have been on and off the fence for 3 or 4 years about buying a Scrambler the one thing that holds be back is commuting and 2 up. (well that's 2)
How capabel as a road bike is the Scram for commuting 60-80 miles a day?
What about the occasional trip 2 up?
I am currently riding a Buell Ulysses XB12XP and 2 up and commuting is excellent. I can really eat up some miles on the Uly and I don't really want to suffer much.
One more question, I had a Sportster one time for about 2500 miles (3 months)
Bought it and couldn't wait to get rid of it, is the Scram compact feeling and as harsh a ride as the Sporty?
Ken

Re: 2 up - My gf and I did a bunch of 2 up rides before the death of my Scram but not anything touring distance-wise. She did not have any complaints at all and has been on several types of bikes. In fact, she actually preferred the flat stock seat as she wasn't sitting higher and in the wind.

As far as the commute part, well, I think it's fully capable but it's an individual thing....comparing it to a Ulysses which is built for comfort and eating up road miles...well, that's a different beast altogether.
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #13403
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
I owned a 2009 buell xb, and an 06 triumph (bonneville) and I'd take the trump over the buell for distance and 2 up 9 times out of ten.
A scram will feel like a cadilac in comparison. I rode a new (demo) nightster 1200 and an 08 scrambler the same day. Night and day. I'm not a Harley hater by any means, but I'll take a triumph over one every time.
Wow, different strokes I suppose. I've owned a Ulysses (XB12X) and two Scramblers. The Ulysses is one of the most comfortable touring machines I've ever been on and vastly superior to the Scram on the highway and/or two up. The Scram, on the other hand is one of my all time favorite around town bikes. It's a great commuter/short trip machine and loads of fun, but not my cup of tea for distance traveling.

I'll agree with you about the Nighster though. Their suspension is way too limited in travel and quite harsh. Fun bike to ride otherwise, but they will beat you up.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #13404
sark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
My girlfriend and I total about 300lbs and when we ride my scram we tend to bottom the shocks out on occasion, BUT thats mostly on dirt roads and I don't have those pre-load collars turned up very high. FWIW
sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #13405
capuett
Scrambunctious Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Still trying to trade engine covers

My apologies to the uninterested masses but I have these brand new chrome engine covers I'd like to trade for some polished aluminum ones. If you Scrambler devotees aren't interested, please share this with your other Hinckley Triumph brethren (i.e. Bonneville, T100, Thruxton, etc., riders). I know there's the Flea Market for this sort of thing but I haven't gotten any attention there. In fact I think the moderators deleted my post a couple of times because they may think my avatar is nude- she's in a freakin' bikini fer cryin' out loud!

WTT: TRIUMPH (HINCKLEY) CHROME ENGINE COVERS

I have a set of brand new in box chrome engine covers to fit Triumph modern retro models (aka Hinckley Triumphs). I bought them for my '08 Scrambler (carbureted model) but I believe they will also fit Bonneville, Thruxton, T100, etc.

I would like to trade them for a new or pristine set of the aluminum engine covers. If you have a set to trade which aren't new but have only slight blemishes we can talk; however on that deal I'd want some additional $$ in exchange.

Items located in Kansas City area but I'm willing to ship wherever.
capuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #13406
drjohnno
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhdick View Post
On heyhey paul bike lokanother forum there was mention of a friction damper made for the Bonneville line. I thought it would give my Scrambler some nice nostalgic charm, but it actually works well, too. It comes from a shop called Farley and Ace in Pennsylvania. It is good quality stuff and about a ten minute install. The kit comes with a new triple clamp top nut and all of the hardware that fastens to the bottom of the stem and the horn mount. Here are some pictures of what it looks like. They have aluminum and extended knobs available as well I included some pics of my bike as well. See what you think .

hey paul, bike looks great with the mini speedo much cleaner.i like those bars ,any info or a link for rise and sweep specs. cheers john
drjohnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #13407
9mmMike
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
Works Performance shocks are made in California if you want to support the "made in USA" economy. Mine cost about $500 and work great. I ordered them 10mm longer than stock for a little extra suspension travel.

Thanks. I sent them a note to see what I need.
9mmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #13408
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Thanks for all the feedback guys, looks like I am putting the Ulysses up for sale as I don't do a whole lot of long distance riding. The trips I do take are around 500 miles or so and I don't ride with a passenger a bunch either.
And for the record, The Ulysses IS the MOST comfortable road bike I have ever owned, it's just time for something different.
I am very high on the Scram though, found one yesterday for 5500 ('08) and a very nice '11 for retail of course.
If anyone is interested in a nice police model Uly I've got you covered....
PM me.
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #13409
ivara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
The fuel injection system is so touchy about getting enough voltage before it will engage the starter that this cheap mod should help me get started when the battery is down a bit.
did you also get the so-called "urban tune" thats supposed to shut down on ECU power drain after bike is stopped?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #13410
kellis
Fair Weather Rider

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivara View Post
did you also get the so-called "urban tune" thats supposed to shut down on ECU power drain after bike is stopped?
I have the works manual for my 2008 EFI Scrambler, I am an Electrical Controls Engineer, so I can understand the wiring schematics. To me, it looks like the starter relay switches off the supply to the headlight when the START Button is pressed - to give full power to start the engine.

My Battery has gone flat over winter a couple of times, needing a heavy re-charge with an old fashioned charger to get it back.

History:- K1200RS, XT600E, R100/7, FZR1000RU, GSX750F, XV535 (sorry), BSA A65L, XT500E, CB200.
kellis is offline   Reply With Quote