Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #13516
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 462
You guys have probably already seen this from cyclenews, but by chance if you haven't:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cyclewor.../0/unaRkye1OBk

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT: TAT SHAK

ARA - Adventure Riders of Arkansas
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #13517
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,375
There is a caveat to that. A vehicle must be more than 25yo to be imported to the USA as an antique, and thus, unmolested.

It can be imported if newer, but you would have to go through an extensive process is inspections, possibly some modifications, and all of this with no guarantee that it would be approved. The work to make it legal would have to be completed by a licensed importer, and often times it cannot leave the port until that arrangement is made.

Frankly, for a motorcycle, it is likely cheaper to salvage your farkles, and buy a like model once here.

Considering exchange rates, I think you might come out better having sold across the pond anyway. A new Scram can be had for ~$8k. What is that, like 20 quid these days?

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #13518
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 959
Well, I wasn't banking on this...

So, I'm about to emigrate to the US (more on this later…). All throughout the process I was figuring out when the best time to ship the Scram' might be. Plan was to go ahead and then send for her as soon as I was settled. A while back I called a couple of shippers, who gave me a quote for RoRo, which seemed fair enough.

Then, on Friday - a little more than a week before I'm due to leave - I was talking with a shipper about getting a few other bits and pieces over there, and it occurred to me that it might work out better if I sent everything together. Bike included. So, I asked about this, and the first thing the guy asks me is how old the bike is. I tell him, "around five years old". And he says, "a vehicle has to be 25 years old or more to be permanently imported to the US."

Apparently it’s an utter nightmare to get anything else that wasn’t built specifically for the US market into the country. So, it may very well be that she can't go and we may have to part.

Gutted.

Which leads me to my next post...

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 01:32 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #13519
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Further to the post above, I am sad to say that it’s looking like my beloved Scrambler and I must go our separate ways. I only got her a while back and it feels like I spent more time tarting her up than in the saddle. We had some superb rides together, however, the real journeys were meant to start in earnest this year.

But life has a funny way of happening while you're making other plans. I’m still going to see if I can find a way around it, but if anyone on here can offer her a good home, I might have to surrender to the man on this one.

So, courtesy of US Customs, here is my 2006 (carb’d) Triumph Scrambler up for sale:

Tech Spec:
Exhaust: Stacked Supertrapp Megaphones (brushed finish)
Exhaust: Zorstec custom-made headers
Heat wrap: Highway Hawk (grey)
Shocks: Hagon 2810 370mm (black)
Fork springs: Hagon Progressive
AI removal kit: Norman Hyde
Air filter: Unifilter
Oil filter: K&N
Rims: Powder coated (satin black)
Tyres: Metzeler Tourance
Bars: Meffo Star Bar flattrack (satin black)
Grips: Classic GT style
Master cylinder: Triumph (black anodized)
Brake lines: Hel Performance braided (black)
Brake pads: EBC sintered
Brake discs: EBC fully floating front & EBC steel rear
Seat: Burton Classic Bonneville
Headlamp grill: Triumph (black powder coated)
Headlamp bulb: Phillips Xenon
Flyscreen: Triumph (white)
Filler cap: Triumph locking
Indicators: Motrax minis
Tail light: New Bonneville Lucas (brushed finish)
Engine bars: Triumph (black)
Bash plate:
Triumph
Rear sprocket: Renthal (black anodized)
Chain: Renthal X-ring (gold)
Sprocket cover: Triumph (drilled, black)
Rack: Renntec (black)
Reg plate: 7” custom
Idiot lights: New Bonneville LED conversion
Dyno: Jordan Bikes (Leeds)

I spent a fair bit of time and consideration (obsession maybe) on this machine - those Supertapps are pretty unique and were a bitch to source / fit. About the only thing I had left to do was a get a better heatguard laser-cut for the pipes. I wanted to keep this bike until I ran her into the ground, but there you go…

There’s well over 2,000 worth of kit on a bike that cost me 4,200 (one previous owner who never really used her). Now she [shamefully] only has 8,800 miles (I’ve been in the US a lot recently) on the clock, and is MOT’d etc. She’s been used, but never abused, looks stunning and is completely dependable. One or two minor scuffs, but they suit her (all Scrams should have a couple of battle scars). The thing sounds truly incredible and rides like a dream (did I mention the ground down hero blobs?).

Yours for 5,500, with all the hard work done.

…Oh, and you get all standard parts too (even TORS instead of the OE pipes).

Plus a British Customs FEK and Triumph perspex sprocket cover, which I decided I didn’t like the look of (each to their own) and switched out.

Might even throw in a set of Kriega (more on this later too) luggage as well.

She could be put back to standard (although the fugly OEM rear light assembly might not look quite right any more because I drilled the fender for the new tail light and indicators), but that would just be wrong.

P.S. I may yet freak out about selling her and try to find a way to ship it via the backdoor, but money talks and – if there’s no way around it - I guess I can always start again once I get there.

That said, if anyone knows who how to get a UK bike imported to the US without all the BS, please do let me know! For starters, I’m going to contact Triumph and see if the EU bikes are built to the same spec as the US ones…

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 05:55 PM
Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #13520
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
There is a caveat to that. A vehicle must be more than 25yo to be imported to the USA as an antique, and thus, unmolested.

It can be imported if newer, but you would have to go through an extensive process is inspections, possibly some modifications, and all of this with no guarantee that it would be approved. The work to make it legal would have to be completed by a licensed importer, and often times it cannot leave the port until that arrangement is made.

Frankly, for a motorcycle, it is likely cheaper to salvage your farkles, and buy a like model once here.

Considering exchange rates, I think you might come out better having sold across the pond anyway. A new Scram can be had for ~$8k. What is that, like 20 quid these days?
Cheers, Jeff. That appears to be about the size of it, by all accounts.

I know I can start again, but I was determined to keep this one. So, unless anyone here fancies it as-is, it could well be a weekend of undoing all (well, maybe not the fork springs) the work. Or at least ripping the pipes off, anyway.

BritKit LLC
Old 08-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #13521
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

There is another option. You could break it down into pieces, and register it as a "custom build" on this side of the pond. I have seen that done successfully before, but according to the Department of Motor Vehicles, it would never be a Triumph again.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #13522
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
There is another option. You could break it down into pieces, and register it as a "custom build" on this side of the pond. I have seen that done successfully before, but according to the Department of Motor Vehicles, it would never be a Triumph again.
Now you come to mention it, I've always fancied a Triton.

BritKit LLC
Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #13523
spadoman
Spadoman

Oddometer: 11
I'm pretty new to ADV Rider forums, (I had to search to find the Scrambler thread!), but not new to riding or even ADV riding.
But I found it and just want to post a photo.
This is my 2008 Triumph Scrambler. There is this little ridge on the front fender and I felt something needed to be done to it. So, I had a shop detail the stripe to match the tank paint scheme.
The end result is in the photo.
Next up, a casual rally in New Mexico in September that will include some ADV riding in the Carson National Forest near Taos. Report will be posted.
Attached Images

spadoman screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 04:22 AM Reason: typos
spadoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #13524
Nitro Circus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
You guys have probably already seen this from cyclenews, but by chance if you haven't:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cyclewor.../0/unaRkye1OBk
So what do you guys think about dropping the oil cooler?
Nitro Circus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #13525
Schmeds
scarce

Oddometer: 6,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Circus View Post
There's always this:

http://www.streetmaster.net/oil-cooler.html

Somewhere on T-Rat is a DIY thread for doing the same.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #13526
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeds View Post
There's always this:

http://www.streetmaster.net/oil-cooler.html

Somewhere on T-Rat is a DIY thread for doing the same.
Too bad they don't have any pricing info. I'm curious, but not enough to buy it.

However, that would be pretty easy to recreate.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #13527
9mmMike
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Circus View Post
I thought that I had read that these guys put the cooler back on. I know, I would not run without it. It is, afterall, an oil-cooled bike. Of course I could be wrong.
9mmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #13528
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
I thought that I had read that these guys put the cooler back on. I know, I would not run without it. It is, afterall, an oil-cooled bike. Of course I could be wrong.
Well... technically it's air-cooled; but the oil cooler sure isn't an 'accessory' item. The bike might be okay without it under some conditions. I wouldn't want to be the one to test that, of course.

Hell, many liquid-cooled bikes have oil coolers in addition to the 'water' radiator(s) - my Trophy 3 is one of them. Oil that gets overheated can do very bad things. It probably won't if you're using good oil; but still...

- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #13529
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,557
A friend was telling me about how smooth the triumph twins are saying it was one of the smoothest bikes he's been on. Are they really that good? If so I might have to add it on my list of possible bikes which would be great since the scrambler's looks make me

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #13530
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
A friend was telling me about how smooth the triumph twins are saying it was one of the smoothest bikes he's been on. Are they really that good? If so I might have to add it on my list of possible bikes which would be great since the scrambler's looks make me
They are very smooth running - at least my Scrambler is. Strangely, I had a Speedmaster as a loaner last week and that was much rougher - odd because I thought they had the same engine...
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote