Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #14296
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAK View Post
............... One thing for sure, you can modify and adapt a Scrambler to suit your tastes much more than a Beemer. Mine is on it's third incarnation......................

on some thread, somewhere, somebody called the scrambler 'the mr. potato head of motorcycles'.
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #14297
tactical-T
TreeStump

Oddometer: 569
Thanks RMAK and panthercity,
This re-enforces my decision more. One of the most appealing things about the scram is it's diversity and the potential for lots of cool mods and ability to express one's individuality. I thought I was a BMW guy, but that "kool-aid" has worn off. The more I think about it, the more I feel the Scram suits my lifestyle and the way I want to ride on the street. The Bonneville line and the scram in particular are soulfull and eclectic motorcycles. When I get out of the S***hole I'm currently in, perhaps I'll be posting pics of my new Scrambler.
Thanks again for the reply,
-T sends
The more time I spend in this world , the smaller it gets

tactical-T screwed with this post 11-26-2011 at 12:01 PM Reason: miss spelled inmate's name
tactical-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #14298
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
on some thread, somewhere, somebody called the scrambler 'the mr. potato head of motorcycles'.

Funny. I have enough spare parts that came with my Scrambler that about every 6 months I change the look of mine enough to have folks ask "Did you buy another Triumph?" . Changing to tank color three times in two years adds to the confusion.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #14299
dhubbard422
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hello, I've searched this thread and read most of it...but, I couldn't find any previous reference to the following question; if it has come up, please point me to the right page!

I have an '06 Scram with D&D slipons. They have a nice bark, but like the stock pipes, I wish that they tucked in closer; the pipes are wide, push my leg out at a stop and they make it hard to stand on a wide (but short) dirt bike style footpeg. The shields do a nice job of controlling the heat, but they're just too wide.

So, I've been considering the 2-into-1 low Zard pipe, but I really like the look of a high pipe... Which makes me also consider the British Customs High Header Exhaust and the Zard High pipe.

http://www.british-customs.com/briti...st-system.html
http://www.zardexhaust.com/?page_id=252

So, if you have either of these high pipes - do they tuck in well enough such that the riders leg completely misses them while sitting on the seat, standing on the pegs and at a stop?

Any other suggestions appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
dhubbard422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #14300
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 291
I've looked at both. British customs reports that their pipes are LOUD and warm even with the shields. The problem I have with the high Zards (and the Arrow) is that they are too spacey looking. Like something out of the Jettsons. No offense to those that run these systems, they just don't look right to me on this style of bike.

I wound up ordering the Zard 2 into 1 cross pipe, like is on the Jack Pine bikes. This system weighs 6 lbs.! That's a weight reduction in the 12 to 14 lb. range. I've been taking off and lightening everything I can to reduce the tonnage on my Scram and that's a substantial drop. Enough to make me get over my high pipe fetish.
RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #14301
dhubbard422
Adventurer

Quote:
I've looked at both. British customs reports that their pipes are LOUD and warm even with the shields. The problem I have with the high Zards (and the Arrow) is that they are too spacey looking. Like something out of the Jettsons. No offense to those that run these systems, they just don't look right to me on this style of bike.

I wound up ordering the Zard 2 into 1 cross pipe, like is on the Jack Pine bikes. This system weighs 6 lbs.! That's a weight reduction in the 12 to 14 lb. range. I've been taking off and lightening everything I can to reduce the tonnage on my Scram and that's a substantial drop. Enough to make me get over my high pipe fetish.
Thanks RMAK. That is a significant weight reduction. How loud is the Zard Cross pipe? Did yours tuck in pretty well or does it hang significantly below the skid plate or frame rails?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #14302
RMAK
The Magnanimous

I know this vid is elsewhere on the Scrambler thread, but here it is again. You can see how the pipes lay and how they sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unaRkye1OBk
Old 11-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #14303
dhubbard422
Adventurer

Quote:
I know this vid is elsewhere on the Scrambler thread, but here it is again. You can see how the pipes lay and how they sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unaRkye1OBk
Thanks. Anyone have experience with other pipes that tuck in well?
Old 11-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #14304
gk ryder
is this thing on?

Oddometer: 62
you guys seen these shocks?

fleabay

worth taking the risk at that price maybe?
gk ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:40 AM   #14305
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
On the list of items there is another pair of new shocks KONI look at $69...
keep it simple! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:42 AM   #14306
Milko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk ryder View Post
fleabay

worth taking the risk at that price maybe?
2 pairs left ;-) thanks for the heads up! I'll note my impressions of the differences to stock.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #14307
Milko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple! View Post
one is for bidders starting at $69, the other at $99 is buy it now. For $30 bucks...not worth a bidding war....IMHO
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #14308
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple! View Post
Beware the wording of that ad. "koni/ikon look style" tells me they are neither. Read further and it says they "look" like the real thing. I'd give them a wide berth. Who knows what kind of cheap junk they are.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #14309
Snake Plissken
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:

RMAK - Not to take away from the awesome zard system, but see pg 945 and 947 to rekindle your high pipe fetish, look for the MASS mohave posts/pics by shining. I spoke with MASS - they weigh 3kg/6.6lbs...

I'll have a set here in the US before too long!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #14310
RMAK
The Magnanimous

I saw the mass system here. I contacted everyone I knew who carries or carried Mass and they couldn't find any information about them. Zero info here in the states as far as I know. If you have a contact, I'd be happy to find out more. I would