Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #14311
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits View Post
Beware the wording of that ad. "koni/ikon look style" tells me they are neither. Read further and it says they "look" like the real thing. I'd give them a wide berth. Who knows what kind of cheap junk they are.

+1 Ikons are barely adequate if you do rough roads. [ I think Davo lunched 2 before giving up ] A cheap knock off of Ikon does not auger well imho.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #14312
Milko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
+1 Ikons are barely adequate if you do rough roads. [ I think Davo lunched 2 before giving up ] A cheap knock off of Ikon does not auger well imho.
yeah '"get what you pay for " may well apply. But for one fifth of the money I'd have to spend to change the shocks even to Ikons, its a bit of speculation that might pay off. And it doesn't always hold that the big guys with the big names have the best knowhow.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #14313
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits View Post
Beware the wording of that ad. "koni/ikon look style" tells me they are neither. Read further and it says they "look" like the real thing. I'd give them a wide berth. Who knows what kind of cheap junk they are.
+1 on that. If all you want is black springs, paint the ones you have. Those shocks have NOTHING to recommend them. Yeah, my Progressives cost twice that; but they work.
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #14314
Snake Plissken
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAK View Post
I saw the mass system here. I contacted everyone I knew who carries or carried Mass and they couldn't find any information about them. Zero info here in the states as far as I know. If you have a contact, I'd be happy to find out more. I would
PM sent, good luck!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #14315
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I'm busy making my own shotgun exhaust, BUT with a db killer (mute) not fixed in the exhaust but in the headers.
Should be a weight difference of 8 kg...compared to the OEM exhaust
keep it simple! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #14316
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Thinking about an Alaska trip - hard bags?

I've been thinking more and more about taking that long-postponed trip up the Alaska highway.

At first I was thinking I'd get a tour bike but the more I think about it, there's no reason the Scrambler can't make it with some reasonable mods.

Most important mods would be cargo and fuel carrying, also suspension.

I'm already running street tires and would most likely stay on them. No, I'm not going to ride the Dalton, I've been down the Dalton once and the prospect of 1,000 miles of dirt riding doesn't appeal to me the way it used to (actually I'm kidding - the prospect of 1,000 miles of dirt riding never appealed to me.)

So does anyone make a hard bag attachment system for the Scrambler? From what I've seen, most people just build their own. I saw one guy in Taos who had mounted a 40mm ammo can to the left side of his scram. I'd want something similar except I'd want bags on both sides. I already have a trunk but hard side bags would be nice.

My only requirement is that I won't do anything that permanently alters the bike (cutting the frame,etc.) I need to be able to restore the bike to stock configuration.

If I can get hard bags on, mounting a single 3 gallon Rotopax to it ought to be easy. Or even 2 x 1 gallons. Just need to extend the range to ~250 miles or so (I can reliably hit 160 now, however that's not fully loaded up. With a bad headwind or high speeds my range can be as low as 145 miles now.)

Anyone here done the Alaska and/or Cassiar Highways from the Lower 48 on a Scrambler? I'd be interested to hear from them.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #14317
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
BTW, here's my trip report from Triumphs in Taos this year:

http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/defa...519555#m519555

ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #14318
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Nice ride report! Would love to get a Scram in the garage and then go take a tour somewhere. Maybe next year when the riding season returns.

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #14319
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
I've been thinking more and more about taking that long-postponed trip up the Alaska highway.

At first I was thinking I'd get a tour bike but the more I think about it, there's no reason the Scrambler can't make it with some reasonable mods.

Most important mods would be cargo and fuel carrying, also suspension.

I'm already running street tires and would most likely stay on them. No, I'm not going to ride the Dalton, I've been down the Dalton once and the prospect of 1,000 miles of dirt riding doesn't appeal to me the way it used to (actually I'm kidding - the prospect of 1,000 miles of dirt riding never appealed to me.)

So does anyone make a hard bag attachment system for the Scrambler? From what I've seen, most people just build their own. I saw one guy in Taos who had mounted a 40mm ammo can to the left side of his scram. I'd want something similar except I'd want bags on both sides. I already have a trunk but hard side bags would be nice.

My only requirement is that I won't do anything that permanently alters the bike (cutting the frame,etc.) I need to be able to restore the bike to stock configuration.

If I can get hard bags on, mounting a single 3 gallon Rotopax to it ought to be easy. Or even 2 x 1 gallons. Just need to extend the range to ~250 miles or so (I can reliably hit 160 now, however that's not fully loaded up. With a bad headwind or high speeds my range can be as low as 145 miles now.)

Anyone here done the Alaska and/or Cassiar Highways from the Lower 48 on a Scrambler? I'd be interested to hear from them.
I have a setup I don't use anymore. I would sell it to ya. If you are tight for cash I could lend it you. I am in Calgary which is on your way north.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #14320
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,456
So, why did they put the pipes on the right/wrong side?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #14321
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post

So it looks cool when on the side stand, thats about the only reasion i can think of.
Locky.
lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #14322
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockyv7 View Post
So it looks cool when on the side stand, thats about the only reasion i can think of.
Locky.
That would be a Starbucks requirement, then?
Sure would like one though. A pair of jeans, cuffed, penny loafers, white socks and a white T, with a pack of cigs rolled in the sleeve! Love the things!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #14323
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
They would need to re-engineer the electrical harness and the airbox due to the heat of the exhaust. It would have driven the price of the bike up.

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #14324
strikemaster
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Noob with Scrambler!

Noob to this forum, that is! Just traded in my Yamaha TDM900 for new Scrambler in Matt Green. Managed to get my Krauser K2 left-hand mountings to ft without too much drama. Will need to fiddle with this so that a pillion can get their feet on the footpegs though!

MPG first tank was 52mpg UK. (43 US) Second tank was 57.5 (48) This is during running-in, mileage now 404!

I'm thinking of a low exhaust option so I can get my other case on the RHS

strikemaster screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 08:24 AM Reason: Couldn't see images for some reason
strikemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #14325
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308

Yeah it grows on you! If it just was a bit lighter!