PLS could you disclose the make of your mirror? Its absolutely fabulous

Hi Satcen,

It's a very cheap, basic mirror..

SCRAM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #14432
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 292
I ran that short clip-on mirror style with my 60's bars for a while. I saw exactly nothing behind me, but it did look good. Hope you are having better luck.

Edit: I really like the cleaned up handlebars (wires inside?) and mini speedo. Very cool!

Edit #2: I looked closer and saw the wires. I'm going to be doing the wires through the handlebars this winter. I'll post the results.

RMAK screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 04:49 AM
RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #14433
tactical-T
TreeStump

Oddometer: 569
I'm sure I saw this topic somwhere on this thread;
Exshaust for a 2012 FI. Arrow vs. Zard. What seems to work better. I understand that with the dealer installed Arrow the shop tunes it if I'm not mistaken. I really like the Zard two into one short/low pipe. Any comments/experience is welcome.
Thanks,
-T
The more time I spend in this world , the smaller it gets
tactical-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #14434
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Anybody here tried a Scrambler motor in a DR chassis? Seems like the best of both worlds for my needs.
vicster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #14435
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Anybody here tried a Scrambler motor in a DR chassis? Seems like the best of both worlds for my needs.
Like a Suzuki DR? whats wrong with the factory suzuk motors?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #14436
vicster
Studly Adventurer

I have a Suzuki DR I really like, but when looking for something to do a little more distance/speed with I end up looking at something like the T800, Explorer 1200, KTM990, Super Ten', etc. All more complicated/heavy/$$$ than what I want. Since 780cc is very easy to do with the DR, I was thinking a slightly warmed over 865 carbed twin would be a good balance point worth the work while keeping it a simple air cooled bike.
I tried a Scrambler with intent to buy but found it too cramped (38" inseam), heavy and street oriented. My DR as set up works well for me.
I'll be able to do 4+ week trips now and am looking for a middle ground between my DR and Rocket 3 Roadster without having the expense/hassle of a 3rd bike. Plus I just think it would be cool, which is always a plus with toys.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #14437
GarageMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Everything about the Triumphs is heavy. The motors are large (and heavy) the frames are large, steel, (and heavy). While they are reliable, they're also very underpowered for their size. Putting such a large twin into the all-about-light-weight DR chassis, I feel it'd mess up what is awesome about the DR. You're best bet for more power is probably to just go with the 725cc or 780cc kit.

I'm right there with you with the cramped-ness of the current Bonneville line, though.
GarageMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #14438
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Has this changed to the "What's wrong with the Scrambler" thread since the last time I was here? Shouldn't you guys be on the rice bike forum?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #14439
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerenkov View Post
Everything about the Triumphs is heavy. The motors are large (and heavy) the frames are large, steel, (and heavy). While they are reliable, they're also very underpowered for their size. Putting such a large twin into the all-about-light-weight DR chassis, I feel it'd mess up what is awesome about the DR. You're best bet for more power is probably to just go with the 725cc or 780cc kit.

I'm right there with you with the cramped-ness of the current Bonneville line, though.
Yeah, the motors are heavy, but my question is, how relatively heavy are they when total power plant weight is considered when there is no radiator, coolant, plumbing, fuel pump, etc. to consider? They are also very smooth and reliable with a lot of potential left and frankly I'm surprised they haven't made more inroads in the Adventure market.
I cannot be convinced Triumph didn't screw the pooch by not coming out with a serious Adventure version of these bikes back in '05 or '06.
I love the inherit goodness of my DR, but I like twins too.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #14440
hshirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Yeah, the motors are heavy, but my question is, how relatively heavy are they when total power plant weight is considered when there is no radiator, coolant, plumbing, fuel pump, etc. to consider? They are also very smooth and reliable with a lot of potential left and frankly I'm surprised they haven't made more inroads in the Adventure market.
I cannot be convinced Triumph didn't screw the pooch by not coming out with a serious Adventure version of these bikes back in '05 or '06.
I love the inherit goodness of my DR, but I like twins too.
I have a DR 650 and a Triumph Scrambler EFI both well modified and ridden. My DR650 is set up with the right suspension and mods for me and I ride it in every situation one could think of from the mountains around my home, over highways and into the extreme wilderness, I cant imagine it being any better than it is particularly considering the cost and problems associated with putting a bigger heavier engine in it. In my opinion the Scrambler and DR are the classic case of the comparing apples and oranges metaphor
Old 12-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #14441
vicster
Studly Adventurer

For your usage I'm certain the DR is pretty damn good. I've mine dialed in too and have ridden it on local trails plus OR, WA, and CA, but I was thinking more of a simple air cooled reliable hybrid to be used on even longer trips, i.e. I'd like to do most of the lower 48 over the next couple summers and/or the Alcan.
A well suspended, lighter, roomier, taller Scrambler would be the goal, not a better DR.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #14442
suds750
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Newbie Alert

Hi folks, I've been another one of those pesky lurkers until now...I've been wanting an old style modern Triumph for a while now, but as I'm 6'3'' a Bonnie is a bit small for me. So my interest had turned to the Scrambler. I have been itching to post some general questions but go too wrapped up in reading as many of the pages as wife & kids would allow, and hunting down as good a bike as I could. It had to come from a dealer, as I had an old Pan European to trade. Finally I tracked one down about 50 miles away and luckily the dealer seemed interested in a p/ex so yesterday I went to have a look. Just a look, you understand. Nothing more than a quick look to make sure that the bike is suitable for me. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WOULD I BUY THIS BIKE....that is now parked in my driveway. Ooops. Sorry dear, I've just spent lots of cash, just in time for Christmas.
suds750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #14443
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by suds750 View Post
Hi folks, I've been another one of those pesky lurkers until now...I've been wanting an old style modern Triumph for a while now, but as I'm 6'3'' a Bonnie is a bit small for me. So my interest had turned to the Scrambler. I have been itching to post some general questions but go too wrapped up in reading as many of the pages as wife & kids would allow, and hunting down as good a bike as I could. It had to come from a dealer, as I had an old Pan European to trade. Finally I tracked one down about 50 miles away and luckily the dealer seemed interested in a p/ex so yesterday I went to have a look. Just a look, you understand. Nothing more than a quick look to make sure that the bike is suitable for me. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WOULD I BUY THIS BIKE....that is now parked in my driveway. Ooops. Sorry dear, I've just spent lots of cash, just in time for Christmas.
Good on ya, so what do you think of the Scrambler then ?

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #14444
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Easier to get forgiveness than permission. Enjoy the Scram. A great, fun bike!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #14445
suds750
n00b

Oddometer: 9
It was an 'interesting' ride home...I had gone to the dealers in bright sunshine. It was cold, but I can handle that, I dressed accordingly. About half an hour before I was able to leave the cloud decended and the heavens opened. And then it got dark. Probably not the best way to begin a new bike 'affair'! (Did I mention that about 70% of the roads on my way home were unlit country roads?)
About 5 miles from the shop a red light flickered into life on the speedo. The vendor had told me that the tank was 'about 3/4's full' so I pulled over as I thought that the engine was about to expire! Now I have read on here that the tank isn't too big, and I'm used to a Pan european's ability to go for about 300 miles per tank, but if this bike can only do 5 miles on 3/4 of a tank, then I'm going to be returning this bike real soon! Unless...no that couldn't happen, could it....? Do you guys think it might be possible that the dealer may have lied to me???
Anyhoo... I filled the tank and carried on with my journey. I was taking it nice and easy, no faster than the posted limits, sometimes a bit slower than that. After all, I'm on a new bike with a smaller engine, less braking power, no abs or tcs or linked brakes or even a head light that lights stuff. But I'm having fun, really enjoying the feel of of the bike. It's not fast, or particularly sofisticated like the pan, but it just does it's thing in a happy understated way. And I am happy in myself, all is good with the world...
Only the world wasn't feeling too good at that moment. In fact the world was far from good. And every one in the world (it seemed) took the oportunity to let me know how un-good the world was at the first dual-carridge way as they all passed me using the same hand gesture that good old Mr W. Churchill thought was a 'Peace' sign. Strangly , no one thought of a new sign that meant 'I understand that you've just bought a new bike and it has possibly the worst mirrors in the history of two wheeled conveyance but we know that you're not to blame.' I wonder what that sign would look like?
But apart from those things, and probably the worst attack of cramp in the history of the universe, the kind of cramp that would make me look at a shark attack victim with envy, cos I was very close to stopping at our local hospital and asking if they had time for a quick leg amputation, I seem to remember the question being asked was what do I think of the Scrambler. I BLOODY LOVE IT!!!!!
suds750 is offline   Reply With Quote