Old 05-13-2008, 06:50 AM   #1471
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
TOR's fitted

Can you see me smiling from here?

Was showing a guy at work in the underground car park, (down 7 echoing levels, magic), gave it a fist fulll on start up then let off really quickly.

Small flame spit from the end of the pipes and set off a car alarm

My bike is rejoicing

Get some
I label you a HOOLIGAN!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #1472
Rush123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
performance upgrade

Ok, ive saved enough money and will be doing some mods to my scrambler. Im thinking exhaust and airbox and carb jetting. Does anyone know the performance increase when adding the zard 2 to 1 hi pipe. I cant find any info on it anywhere. Any sound bites anywhere? Also I've heard mixed reviews about removing the airbox. Is this recommended? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh.....does anyone know of any lower wider bars that fit the scrambler. I'm looking for something with a real old school look ala steve mcqueen great escape style bars low and wide.
Thanks
Rush123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #1473
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush123
Does anyone know the performance increase when adding the zard 2 to 1 hi pipe. I cant find any info on it anywhere. Any sound bites anywhere?
Also I've heard mixed reviews about removing the airbox. Is this recommended? Oh.....does anyone know of any lower wider bars that fit the scrambler. I'm looking for something with a real old school look ala steve mcqueen great escape style bars low and wide.
Thanks
Heres Zards number call'em.. 1-888-963-1212

I went with the TOR's I think they are the best looking while staying with the style of the bike and they sound great!!!. I havent come across anyone who has removed the airbox. I would not remove it, regardless of any preformance increase it might give.

The bars on the bike in the Great Escape look pretty close to whats on the Scrambler stock, maybe bend them down just ever so slightly to get what your looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNmzJ...e=1&cop=mss&ei
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #1474
milkman
can't find my screwdriver

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
I label you a HOOLIGAN!
Hard not to be a hoon with the TOR's.

I particularly like dropping a gear when approaching lights in the city to warn late dash pedestrians about to run in front of me I'm coming

Dumber in traffic than the offspring of roo and sheep would be

K&N next, then jets - what size should i use? Trawling the posts for an answer....
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #1475
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:

I particularly like dropping a gear when approaching lights in the city to warn late dash pedestrians about to run in front of me I'm coming

K&N next, then jets - what size should i use? Trawling the posts for an answer....
The TORS are really awesome. I love spitting fire on start-up.

Check out this link: http://www.triumph-bonneville.com/im...nfo%202007.pdf

I found it useful, specifically the table on page 10. I would try 120's, and 1 shim on the needle. I'll be doing the same with a Uni-filter when some extra time comes along. Good luck, and post your results please!

Julia

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #1476
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Oddometer: 328
Well, I tried one of those National Windscreen Deflector shields....it'd keep the bugs outta your teeth, but the wind roaring around the sides was just too noisy. It all basically swept around the sides of the screen, and roared back onto the helmet.

Just putting it out there....
Old 05-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #1477
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:

Total hooligan behaviour and completely irresponsible! What sort of example is that for the kiddies???

(Do they sound as good as they say? Mine are getting fitted next week...)
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #1478
milkman

Thanks Queenpdog, good info

Beach40 - I'll let you decide for yourself

Easy to fit, you need a 10mm and 13 mm spanner and an allen key for the heat shields - simple job.

WARNING: you will be riding less smoothly so you can listen to yur exhaust

milkman screwed with this post 05-14-2008 at 11:12 PM
Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #1479
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Just curious, I have stock pipes on now and bike is very smooth and no popping. How much additional power do you really gain w/ the tors and Ive heard the majority of them pop on decel and the ride is less smooth but louder

Thanks,
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:32 AM   #1480
A mi que?
Love Supreme

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1068
Just curious, I have stock pipes on now and bike is very smooth and no popping. How much additional power do you really gain w/ the tors and Ive heard the majority of them pop on decel and the ride is less smooth but louder

Thanks,
Dave, who really knows the gains made by TORS? Mine do pop on deceleration, and as for less smooth I can't say.

The wonderful sound is what I wanted, and the TORS deliver in spades. Such a classic deserves to be uncorked; who wants to ride a lawn mower otherwise? Do it Dave, you won't be sorry.
A mi que? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:35 AM   #1481
milkman

I've heard 5-6bhp from teh TOR's, but I too was more in it for teh sound

I enjoyed my scrambler before hand, but i felt like I was riding a virago or japanese twin, jsut not quite right

I'm not a massive loud pipes guy - especially as i work night shift and come and go at offensive hours - but it feels like I've let my dog off the leash now
Old 05-15-2008, 04:36 AM   #1482
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,567
Curious about the TORs vs. other pipes. On Youtube clips I have heard of the TORs, I don't like them at all, they sound way too loud but more than the volume it's the tone I don't like...too blatty -- I like a nice smooth mellow deep tone.

For example this guy has TOR:

and I don't know what this guy did, but it sounds incredible.

That's more what I'm looking for. I wonder if my only option would be to do a bafflectomy rather than going for TOR.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:53 AM   #1483
A mi que?
Love Supreme

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
Curious about the TORs vs. other pipes. On Youtube clips I have heard of the TORs, I don't like them at all, they sound way too loud but more than the volume it's the tone I don't like...too blatty -- I like a nice smooth mellow deep tone.

For example this guy has TOR:

and I don't know what this guy did, but it sounds incredible.

That's more what I'm looking for. I wonder if my only option would be to do a bafflectomy rather than going for TOR.
The difference is in the setting, one guy is in a garage, the other isn't. Mine sound like that in both settings. Extremely loud in the shop (of course), and "potato, potato, potato" on the road. The TORS are not the loudest thing going by any stretch of the imagination.
A mi que? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 AM   #1484
scraper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
im running the thunderbike full system & have noticed it sounds a lot meaner than some of the other slip ons ive heard. the major difference is that the stock header has two crossover pipes (or 'H' pipes) to balance out the pulses, quiet it & possibly scavenge a little? the thunderbike kit's headers dont have any crossovers so its a true dual exhaust system.

performance-wise; doing the full system & airbox/carb mods turned the bike into a much stronger & great sounding runner. im really happy with the performance. when i did the airbox mods (gutted all the baffles & walls-basically smoothed & hollowed out the box & also tossed the snorkel) i also replaced the main jets & needles with the ones that thunderbike sent with the kit. there is no popping on decel at all & way more mid & top end power.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #1485
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,567
No, that's not it as there are plenty of videos on youtube of scramblers with TOR outside an enclosed setting and they still have that same tone. Just too harsh. But I agree it is hard to definitively tell from a video on the Internet. I really need to hear them in person to judge, unfortunately I don't know anyone local who has a scrambler with TORs

Quote:
Originally Posted by A mi que?
The difference is in the setting, one guy is in a garage, the other isn't. Mine sound like that in both settings. Extremely loud in the shop (of course), and "potato, potato, potato" on the road. The TORS are not the loudest thing going by any stretch of the imagination.