Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #14866
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Mileage also depends on altitude. My Victory gets FAR better mpg's when I'm up in the mountains in Colorado.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #14867
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpweis View Post
Thanks so mucheveryone..

Why not progressive springs. vs. just single rate?

D
Progressives have a soft initial rate then a far stiffer secondary spring rate, gives you a nice comfy ride over small bumps & irregularities. The problem is half your travel on the soft rate is taken up with static sag when you sit on the bike so you tend to blow through the first rate & hit the stiff rate too soon especially on a bike like the Scram that has little suspension travel anyway.
A single rate spring while not giving that initial soft ride can use a lesser rate spring than the secondary rate on a progressive spring because it is in effect doing the same amount of work over a longer distance of fork travel, = overall more compliant suspension. Stiffer in the first instance but more compliant on the big hits. If you are pootling the burbs progressive is fine, get onto rough roads & not so good.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #14868
davidpweis
Daydream Believer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
A single rate spring while not giving that initial soft ride can use a lesser rate spring than the secondary rate on a progressive spring because it is in effect doing the same amount of work over a longer distance of fork travel, = overall more compliant suspension. Stiffer in the first instance but more compliant on the big hits. If you are pootling the burbs progressive is fine, get onto rough roads & not so good.
Great way of explaining it..thanks..and for some strange reason, I trust you!

Thanks..

D
davidpweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #14869
Goat_locker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Another SD Scrambler....me too

Hey, which YSS shocks did you get and what size did you go with? They're on my short list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
After installing RaceTech springs and emulators, along with YSS shocks on the rear, I decided to take my new Scrambler for its first, real off-road tour today in some City of San Diego canyon action. It rained two days ago in San Diego, so I soon hit some muddy patches. Good thing I had motocross boots on, because that beast likes to sliiiiiiiide. Eventually, I ended up in a really rocky canyon wash; the kind of wash where the entire ground is covered with round rocks. I just stood up and pounded my way through and it sailed over those mamas. Oh man, this beast is a heavy one but it handled those boulders. The Scram is nothing like those 300-pound XLs and XTs I used to ride in my 20s! Still, I managed my way through without laying her down. Kinda fun for a dude in his late 40s, but my forearms are feeling it after almost getting her stuck in the mud and rocks a couple times. Glad to know the Scrambler can handle some rough stuff. I’m really looking forward to some flat-out fire roads in the San Diego County back country. Hosed her off. She’s ready for Monday’s commute to work!

Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #14870
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

Oddometer: 136
could someone tell me what you gain from the air box removal (using the kit) and the air injection removal, specifically on a 2012 scrambler? Why do it?, what are the benefits of doing it?

if the bike already had the arrow 2-1 exhaust, so it has the map for it, do you need a different map if you do the above mods?
Chowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #14871
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,885
In my opinion the airbox removal is more for carbureted Scramblers.
You add exhaust, jet out the carbs, and airbox removal allows for more additional air. Plus potential tough tuning.
Your 2012 being fuel injected, I feel exhaust, proper map and a aftermarket air filter (Twin Air or Uni), in the stock airbox, will serve you well. It is such a simple, easy good running combo. I don't believe there is a map taking in air box removal(?).
I'll catch flak here, but I do not see the need to remove the AI.
Some say their bike runs better, maybe cooler or maybe less popping.
To me its visual only, ie, get that plumbing out of there! And easier plug replacement.
I have golden pipes (sign of a good tune), bike has never popped, and I haven't had to change plugs in 13k miles either (I will soon). AI still on.
You may want to check and see if removing your AI affects the warranty...
AI IMO does not make your bike run bad.
Just my two cents worth!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #14872
gumpt100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Scrambler tyres

I have done a search around on the forum and have found a few posts on tyres. I mainly ride on the road with an occasional gravel road here and there. I have had Metzeler Tourances on my T100 and find them pretty good, but they are getting expensive over here. Have any of you guys any experience of Continental Trail Attack, or Avon Distanzia, or have any others you could recommend?
Thanks.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #14873
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
You add exhaust, jet out the carbs, and airbox removal allows for more additional air. Plus potential tough tuning.
Your 2012 being fuel injected, I feel exhaust, proper map and a aftermarket air filter (Twin Air or Uni), in the stock airbox, will serve you well. It is such a simple, easy good running combo. I don't believe there is a map taking in air box removal(?).
To me its visual only, ie, get that plumbing out of there! And easier plug replacement.
I have golden pipes (sign of a good tune), bike has never popped, and I haven't had to change plugs in 13k miles either (I will soon). AI still on.
Just my two cents worth!
+1

The EFI Scram is not a hot performance bike and the AI mod and airbox removal is not going to make a noticeable difference when driving the bike as it was intended. Changing the exhaust to something lighter is expensive, but will make a noticeable difference in the sound, weight, and look of the bike.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #14874
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpt100 View Post
I have done a search around on the forum and have found a few posts on tyres. I mainly ride on the road with an occasional gravel road here and there. I have had Metzeler Tourances on my T100 and find them pretty good, but they are getting expensive over here. Have any of you guys any experience of Continental Trail Attack, or Avon Distanzia, or have any others you could recommend?
Thanks.
I've had Distanzias on my Scrambler ever since I binned the OEM Death Wings. The Distanzias have good grip and excellent handling on pavement in all weather, as well as on gravel roads. I'm happy enough with them not to want to try anything else.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #14875
Yani
b00b

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits View Post
I've had Distanzias on my Scrambler ever since I binned the OEM Death Wings. The Distanzias have good grip and excellent handling on pavement in all weather, as well as on gravel roads. I'm happy enough with them not to want to try anything else.
+1 on the Distanzias. I got 10k out of my last set and just spooned on the next. Didn't consider any other tires.

That rug really tied the room together
Yani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #14876
EtowahKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits View Post
I replaced the original "Brickstones" with Conti Trail Attacks at about 2500 miles, and I love them. Most of my riding is on pavement with the occasional groomed dirt road excursion. The Trail Attacks have been great. I got over 9K miles out of the rear before I replaced it with another, and I'm going on 12K on the front with plenty of tread remaining and no cupping. The Trail Attack is rated at 80% on road and 20% off road. It grips very well on both wet or dry pavement, and is good on groomed dirt and gravel. I wouldn't recommend them for for single track or mud. For that, I'd go with the TKC80s.
EtowahKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #14877
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpt100 View Post
Thanks.
I had a set of Avon Distanzia's on after the Tourances, better grip & got around 8000kms from the rear & 12000kms from the front, back on Tourance now & due for another rear...I think when I replace both I'll go for Distanzia again.

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #14878
Blinky03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Snorkle removal

Hi.... I'm sure its been covered here before but I'm interested in pro's and con's of snorkle removal - the removal process seems fairly straight forward but what are the benefits, free'er breathing motor and better performance ?
Possible increase in dirt/dust being drawn into the air box ? I've also heard of some Triumph owners cutting off the half of the rubber tube that fits inside the filter but leaving the external part of the snorkle in place - any thoughts on this ? After snorkel removal has it also been necessary to alter main jet sizes ? - my bike is an 06 (carb'ed) with standard pipes & "bafflectomy" carried out by previous owner - Thanks
Blinky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #14879
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Just my two cents worth!
Max, have you done the airbox removal on a carbed bike? I don't recall if yours is a carb job or not. I'm kicking around the idea of an airbox removal kit on my setup for a little more zip.

Regarding AI, I removed mine to clean things up a bit for appearances and make spark plug changing a less knuckle-busting affair. It removed exhaust popping on decel/engine braking and I kind of miss it.
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #14880
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoblag View Post
Max, have you done the airbox removal on a carbed bike? I don't recall if yours is a carb job or not. I'm kicking around the idea of an airbox removal kit on my setup for a little more zip.

Regarding AI, I removed mine to clean things up a bit for appearances and make spark plug changing a less knuckle-busting affair. It removed exhaust popping on decel/engine braking and I kind of miss it.
My '10 Scrambler is the EFI version Motoblag. Yes I have the airbox. No I have not removed an airbox.
My bike never pops at any time. The pipe/filter/map works good on my bike.
I have raced it through the twisties may times with other bikes, wringing it to within an inch of its life! LOL
On knobbies. Go Scrambler.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote