User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
UberXY OP
Patent Pending

Oddometer: 131
New Retro Vespa two stroke on ebay

I think these things are pretty rare - here is a brand new one - the real thing, not a chinese replica.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
Old 05-30-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
I had a 2005 PX150 Ltd Edition for about 1500 or so miles.

It was a beautiful scooter - seriously too pretty for me to ride. I had it for sale here on advrider but would up selling it to a guy out of Texas on Craigslist. I'm sorta sorry its gone, but he is getting more joy out of it than I would so that makes me feel a bit better.
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
lynnsabcs
Searching for Stella

Oddometer: 81
This message should be--Old Fart Buys Scooter. I'm 57 and a Porsche nut and always wanted an adventure cycle or scooter. Strange thing, I didn't know I did until discovering this site.

This is a Stella, built in India by the factory managers who "took over" a former Vespa factory after the manufacturing license ran out for Vespa. Stella is sold by local dealers by Genuine Scooter Company in Chicago (with lots of dealers in US) at: http://www.genuinescooters.com/ is an affordable alternative to the higher priced Vespa.

The Stella is a 1980 version Vespa with front disk brake and upgraded front shock. Retails for under $3,000. I bought mine on Ebay for $2,100 with 2K miles and upgraded Pirelli tires. Mine is silver and I am making future plans for driving the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Shown are the new rear rack and full-size floor mat. Engine is on right side. The round grey thing hanging down on the left hand engine cowl is a full size spare rim/tire and the battery is located straped to the spare.

Only thing I don't like is the underseat has no storage--that's the fuel filler and oil tank filler. The front compartment at your legs is good sized, but I can picture softside luggage bags, a spare gas can on the rear rack and a front folding rack.

The just installed full-size floor mat keeps the front floor cleaner. Here is a photo of the front rack and a fully accessorized Stella.

I weigh in at 218 and 50 mph is no strain for the scooter in stock configuration. A driver weight-reduction program is currently in progress. Like to see about 190 ( I started at 230).

Lynn
Knoxville, Tn

lynnsabcs screwed with this post 05-31-2006 at 03:59 PM
lynnsabcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
UberXY OP
Patent Pending

Oddometer: 131
Lynn: Stellas are a good deal, but unfortunately the factory in India is shut down due to a strike. Stella dealers are left with dwindling stock that isn't being replaced, and some are beginning to look for new scooter brands to sell.

Ub
Old 05-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
lynnsabcs
Searching for Stella

Oddometer: 81
Ub:

Hard to imagine the strike will last forever, but I was just suggesting a potential Vespa scooter buyer can buy a very similar scooter and save a signficant amount of money.

There are Stella dealers all over the country with scooters ready to sell. Replacement parts are almost all interchangable with the similar Vespa model, parts is parts and there seem to be lots of people with Vespa parts for sale.

Lynn
lynnsabcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,066
Lynn/Uber, Hang out here for a bit, I'm sure the other Stella owners will chime in soon (such as Photog). Photog has a tangerine Stella with a hopup kit, a very sweet scoot! The Stella is on my short list, I'm hoping the strike thing is temporary and that the scoot will resume production..

Look at the Scooter Photo thread..you should see it as well..

TV-free for 5 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
RiverRat280
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Is the strike still ongoing? When I went to the Stella dealer he told me because of it what he had left was all he could get till the fall so I assumed they started back up if he was planning on getting more by October.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

-Theodore Roosevelt
RiverRat280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
wanderingwaldo
n00b

Oddometer: 6
word on the street

The current situation as I understand it is that LML is broke. They locked out their employees and refused to pay them for their time worked until the Indian government forced them to. A little over a week ago when the workers came to collect their money they found out that the President and Secretary of their union (along with a few others) had been officially fired and weren't going to be paid. That set off what was essentialy a labor riot and the two government observers present couldn't do much to stop it. Since then an investment capital company has invested 14% in the company but more will be needed to get them moving again. Sounds to me like even if they do get more money they've pissed off their workers to the point where a fresh labor force would be needed.