User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
mixxedupmedia OP
Believes in mahogany

Oddometer: 144
Safari tank for KTM 690 questions

OK, so I picked up a Safari tank from an inmate here and the paperwork that come are pretty thin; I did find a good YouTube video on installation, so I think I'll have that down.

But I still have a few questions regarding this tank and impressions before I decide to install it (am having second thoughts) and a search here didn't reveal any answers.

What's the procedure to fill the tanks? Close the rear tank tap first? Is there a workaround to keep the rear from overflowing if all taps are open during fillup?

Which fuel tap(s) do you open first when the stock and Safari tanks are both full? Do you operate the Safari tank with left and right open at the same time?

Seems like a real funky setup, but I would like to be disabused of this notion and enjoy the extra range. Not so concerned about weight.

--MixxedUpMedia
mixxedupmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxedupmedia View Post
OK, so I picked up a Safari tank from an inmate here and the paperwork that come are pretty thin; I did find a good YouTube video on installation, so I think I'll have that down.

But I still have a few questions regarding this tank and impressions before I decide to install it (am having second thoughts) and a search here didn't reveal any answers.

What's the procedure to fill the tanks? Close the rear tank tap first? Is there a workaround to keep the rear from overflowing if all taps are open during fillup?

Which fuel tap(s) do you open first when the stock and Safari tanks are both full? Do you operate the Safari tank with left and right open at the same time?

Seems like a real funky setup, but I would like to be disabused of this notion and enjoy the extra range. Not so concerned about weight.
You are over thinking it.... Just leave the two bottom taps on and control the fuel from the central tap. You can fill either tank first it dosen't matter. Just keep the safari tank central tap in the off position until you have done 100klm (60miles) on the rear tank, then your safe to open it.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
DjfLoYd
Wannabe Dirt Ninja

Oddometer: 35
Procedure to fill tanks:
close tap to rear tank.
Fill up both tanks.
open tap to rear tank once you've done 100Km. I open it at 50 to 60Km already. No work around for this in standard installation.
If tap to rear tank is open when both tanks are full it will force fuel out the
overflow. This is just part of the design.

Taps:
the two bottom taps (left and right) on the safari tank can remain open all the time. The tap used to allow flow to the rear tank is all you need to control the fuel.

I get 500 to 600Km on my 2013 690 with the safari tank setup. It's also tough as nails if you fall.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!'

~Hunter S. Thompson
DjfLoYd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:29 AM   #4
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Be sure to fit new / better fuel lines. The line that comes with the tank is not good quality.
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
mixxedupmedia OP
Believes in mahogany

Thanks for the tips.

When you guys installed the tank fuel pump adapter, did you add any kind of liquid gasket goop (if so, what kind?) or was the O-ring a sufficient seal all on its own?

--MixxedUpMedia
Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxedupmedia View Post
Thanks for the tips.

When you guys installed the tank fuel pump adapter, did you add any kind of liquid gasket goop (if so, what kind?) or was the O-ring a sufficient seal all on its own?
O-ring worked great on mine. I did 40,000. klm with no problems. The safari tank is not a great looker but the range is awesome, they are tough as goats gonads and provide great protection for the radiator in a crash. Safari tanks are well proven, provided you fit it correctly you will have no problems.

Having said that I did replace a tap that wouldn't turn off once.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
mixxedupmedia OP
Believes in mahogany

Whew, installing that tank is a PITA, but got it done. Not easy to get those radiator brackets lined up. And the upper tank brackat was way off until I pesuaded it with a little leverage.

Hope the performance is as reliable as folks say. Quite underwhwelmed with the fit and finish considering the cost.

But no leaks. Used a light coating of flexible gasket sealer just to be safe on the O-rings.

Wish the finish on the plastic was a grade better. I took some wet/dry sandpaper to it to remove odd bits, probably dirt specs in the mold.

Need to find a geaphics package that dresses this Darth Vader tank up a bit.

--MixxedUpMedia
Old 01-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #8
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,755
If you find a good graphics kit for it be sure to post it up. If I could find on that looked good I'd be more interested in them.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
pdgranola
outbackpat

Oddometer: 10
Safari vs RR

My 2015 690 just got into the dealer but I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet as I am out of country...dying to get on it! I am back and forth on Safari vs RR. Here is my logic so far:

RR Pros-
Looks better (resale?)
fits a tank bag better

RR Cons-
must mortgage house to buy it
2 fillers vs one
may req purchase of rad protection

Safari Pros-
one filler
good rad protection
400ish cheaper
4 more Liters

Safari Cons-
face on it like fire damaged lego
not DOT in Canada? is this true? (not likely a cop would actually know it or really care?

Comments??
pdgranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:24 AM   #10
yetiandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
RR vs Safari

The choice is obvious isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdgranola View Post
My 2015 690 just got into the dealer but I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet as I am out of country...dying to get on it! I am back and forth on Safari vs RR. Here is my logic so far:

RR Pros-
Looks better (resale?)
fits a tank bag better

RR Cons-
must mortgage house to buy it
2 fillers vs one
may req purchase of rad protection

Safari Pros-
one filler
good rad protection
400ish cheaper
4 more Liters

Safari Cons-
face on it like fire damaged lego
not DOT in Canada? is this true? (not likely a cop would actually know it or really care?

Comments??
yetiandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #11
Mikemm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdgranola View Post

Comments??
In the pros and cons.. id also add that there has never been a report of a Safari tank splitting as a result of a side stand tipover. Yet there are a few reports of the Rally Raid tank doing just that. Durability.

Mikemm screwed with this post 05-02-2015 at 05:08 PM
Mikemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
pdgranola
outbackpat

Oddometer: 10
Safari conundrum

Yea...it is a little more obvious now that I look at my post again. Think I'm going for the Safari
pdgranola is offline   Reply With Quote