ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #1711
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinaE24 View Post


The horrible D739 after about 200 miles, can't wait til my maxxiss desert gets here :)
Yeah, the XR chunks the softer Dunlops pretty bad in rocky terrain, actually it chunks most stuff in those conditions but the Des ITs seem to hold up ok.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #1712
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AlpinaE24's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 499
Yeah it looked bad after like 40 miles lol. Other then the Desert IT, what knobbies are good for this terrain on the BRP? My other bike is in desperate need of a rear tire as well.
__________________
1982 V45 Magna - The pavement ends?
1985 XL600R - the old model
1994 XR650L - Sold
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #1713
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer
 
JTucker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West By God Virginia
Oddometer: 2,288
Try a Mitas c-20 or a Pirelli mt43.
__________________
http://www.ktm-parts.com
03 Aprilia Caponord 06DR650
13 GasGas EC300 05 WR450F 87 T-dub
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #1714
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AlpinaE24's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 499
Dennis Kirk has the MT43 for $67 think I'll try it out, seems to be perfect for the riding I'm doing.
__________________
1982 V45 Magna - The pavement ends?
1985 XL600R - the old model
1994 XR650L - Sold
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #1715
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,190
This year's Winter project, a 2002 I bought in early December from a Utah inmate... came with the graphics, 4.3 Clarke, Guts Racing seat, silicon hoses, countershaft guard...some anodized bling and some things that needed replacing.

I put on a Baja Designs d/s kit, sent the stator to them for a 250w rewind.
The front wheel was pretty banged up all the way around, so I had Woody's lace up a set of RAD CACR 7000 wheels to billet hubs with HD stainless spokes.
It needed bars, so I added new ProTapers with Cycra CRM handguards. The PO had put on a BRP sub mount for a Scotts damper, the amount of rise in the CR Hi bars is perfect for standup riding.

Couple of weeks ago, took it to Colorado State Patrol for it's certified VIN inspection and compliance inspection.....then to DMV for plates. The rules for dualsport conversions are still very relaxed here, you just have to have it inspected for compliance now... and they do check DOT tire stampings.

Local suspension guy Neil Hores has done great things on previous bikes, my XR628 most notably. He revalved, resprung both ends, new fork oil. It's very plush, much moreso than the XR628 was. I have not had the bike out in the dirt yet - I'm just wrapping it up and heading out tomorrow....so I am looking forward to seeing how it works.

For accessories, I put on an Eastern Beaver "3 Circuit Solution", a sort of 'mini fusebox'.... a 3 place fuse holder with a 40A Panasonic relay. The relay is Positap'd into the d/s kit's 5w running light in the headlight shell.....turn the kit on, the fuseblock has juice.
The Vapor backlighting and GPS power share a 2A circuit, Symtec grip heaters use another, and there's a free one for aux lighting or whatever.

The stator's 125w AC and 125w DC allow for a higher wattage H4, so I installed an Osram 80w-85w. Felt that was a good improvement in the amount of light, without too much heat into the wires and connectors.

The bike came with a Pro Circuit T4, which was a bit loud....swapped it for an FMF Q4, on the FMF Powerbomb header the PO put on.

The left radiator was replaced...



The chain and sprockets were shot.... (non o-ring D.I.D.), so I installed a new Ironman 48t, picked up a new 14t and 15t....and put on a new RK XSO chain with peened master link. I've had great luck with these chains.

Picked up a PMB rack in the flea market (yes, I re-routed the front brake line to inside the fork leg - that's how the PO had it)



__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 04:31 AM
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:04 AM   #1716
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Local suspension guy Neil Hores has done great things on previous bikes, my XR628 most notably. He revalved, resprung both ends, new fork oil. It's very plush, much moreso than the XR628 was. I have not had the bike out in the dirt yet - I'm just wrapping it up and heading out tomorrow....so I am looking forward to seeing how it works.
Great Job Blake
I'm curious to know how the spring rates Niel used work out for you? He set mine up really well for std tank (trail riding mode) It might end up a little soft with the big tank and gear loaded up. I'm taking it to Moab at the end of the month so I'll find out.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #1717
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 4,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Yeah, the XR chunks the softer Dunlops pretty bad in rocky terrain, actually it chunks most stuff in those conditions but the Des ITs seem to hold up ok.
Wow I have over 1,000 on the D739 rear and still going. Well I'm not known for digging holes in trails either
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #1718
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AlpinaE24's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 499
Yeah I'm a little abusive on rear tires, WOT spinning in 4th gear going up sandy rocky hills kills em quick
__________________
1982 V45 Magna - The pavement ends?
1985 XL600R - the old model
1994 XR650L - Sold
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #1719
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AlpinaE24's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 499
Even with the crappy dunlop I still managed to squeeze out 88.5mph on gravel. I'm running 15/48 and that's about all she had, I'm gonna go back to 15/46 I think
__________________
1982 V45 Magna - The pavement ends?
1985 XL600R - the old model
1994 XR650L - Sold
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #1720
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer
 
JTucker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West By God Virginia
Oddometer: 2,288
If you like to steer with the rear the pirelli is a little weird. Great traction on dry stuff but the lack of knobs on the side is different.

My mitas has about 300 miles on it with some road and it's holding up so far.
__________________
http://www.ktm-parts.com
03 Aprilia Caponord 06DR650
13 GasGas EC300 05 WR450F 87 T-dub
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #1721
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
This year's Winter project, a 2002 I bought in early December from a Utah inmate... came with the graphics, 4.3 Clarke, Guts Racing seat, silicon hoses, countershaft guard...some anodized bling and some things that needed replacing.

I put on a Baja Designs d/s kit, sent the stator to them for a 250w rewind.
The front wheel was pretty banged up all the way around, so I had Woody's lace up a set of RAD CACR 7000 wheels to billet hubs with HD stainless spokes.
It needed bars, so I added new ProTapers with Cycra CRM handguards. The PO had put on a BRP sub mount for a Scotts damper, the amount of rise in the CR Hi bars is perfect for standup riding.

Couple of weeks ago, took it to Colorado State Patrol for it's certified VIN inspection and compliance inspection.....then to DMV for plates. The rules for dualsport conversions are still very relaxed here, you just have to have it inspected for compliance now... and they do check DOT tire stampings.

Local suspension guy Neil Hores has done great things on previous bikes, my XR628 most notably. He revalved, resprung both ends, new fork oil. It's very plush, much moreso than the XR628 was. I have not had the bike out in the dirt yet - I'm just wrapping it up and heading out tomorrow....so I am looking forward to seeing how it works.

For accessories, I put on an Eastern Beaver "3 Circuit Solution", a sort of 'mini fusebox'.... a 3 place fuse holder with a 40A Panasonic relay. The relay is Positap'd into the d/s kit's 5w running light in the headlight shell.....turn the kit on, the fuseblock has juice.
The Vapor backlighting and GPS power share a 2A circuit, Symtec grip heaters use another, and there's a free one for aux lighting or whatever.

The stator's 125w AC and 125w DC allow for a higher wattage H4, so I installed an Osram 80w-85w. Felt that was a good improvement in the amount of light, without too much heat into the wires and connectors.

The bike came with a Pro Circuit T4, which was a bit loud....swapped it for an FMF Q4, on the FMF Powebomb header the PO put on.

The left radiator was replaced...



The chain and sprockets were shot.... (non o-ring D.I.D.), so I installed a new Ironman 48t, picked up a new 14t and 15t....and put on a new RK XSO chain with peened master link. I've had great luck with these chains.

Picked up a PMB rack in the flea market (yes, I re-routed the front brake line to inside the fork leg - that's how the PO had it)




I'm glad you are making that bike the way the seller should have had it the way he advertised it. You did everybody a favour in buying it and transforming it to what it should have been.

Love the wheels. I don't know why. I don't really favour black wheels, but they make the XRR look so good! Especially combined with a little black on the frame (skate tape), fork guards/decals, and maybe even a little swingarm coverage. That instantly transforms the look of the XRR.

I'll post my bike here in a week or so. It's not flashy because of how the riding is around here, but it's functional. Bikes here take a lot of abuse with rocks, bushes, sliding down hills, etc. I'd love a nice flashy bike, but they don't stay that way here for long without constant upkeep and money.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #1722
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I'm glad you are making that bike the way the seller should have had it the way he advertised it. You did everybody a favour in buying it and transforming it to what it should have been.
Thanks - I took it out for it's first ride today, and it worked really well. I thought the suspension was going to need adjusting, it felt soft just sitting on it.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked today. The ride was taut and firm and controlled, not too soft at all.
I need to bleed the rear brakes - but everything else felt great.
The Bridgestone ED03/ED04 combo was also a nice surprise.

It's going to be great all around, but for it's primary mission as desert sled - it will be perfect.
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #1723
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,433
Mine felt the same way sitting, a little soft but once you get it out his settings work pretty well. Thanks for the recco, Neil does a nice job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
It's going to be great all around, but for it's primary mission as desert sled - it will be perfect.
My XRs a desert sled that doesn't know any better It's a thinks if a GS part of the time and a singletrack bike other times. It needs some edumication or the owner needs a couple extra bikes in the stable
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #1724
GSXR
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Sunshine Coast
Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynna View Post
heres mine. dont normally load the rack up this much but it was all pretty light so the subframe was ok
Just been on a great 3 day ride here in SE Qld / NSW border country. Whipps alloy rack held up well.
Attached Images
 
GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #1725
GSXR
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Sunshine Coast
Oddometer: 753
Quite a few keen to get out of the house!
Attached Images
 
GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014