Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #1741
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_rider View Post
Also, what about the Moose dual sport front fender pack? Is it safe to put anything more in there besides a spare tube and irons?
You might want to check out Wolfman Fender bag...
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/

I got one and it is well made, I'm thinking of using it on the tail and holding some tools for my typical day trip from the house, I have his tail bag too that I can attach for longer rides, and I also got the saddle bags. his stuff is top notch, made in USA and you would be supporting a fellow rider and a small US company.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #1742
NW_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutman View Post
NWR- Nice conversion!! I am embarking on a similar conversion and spent the better part of 4 hours last night reading about luggage options, sub frame weakness, rack options and so on. My final decision based on everything I can find is going to be the Giant Loop Coyote in Grey and a Wolfman Tank Bag.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...650r+sub-frame

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=wachs

These were two of the threads that helped me decide. I never saw a luggage set up that I felt wasn't overly cumbersome and would stand up to real abuse.
Hey Scoutman,

Thanks for the links. I'll have to read through them. I saw the Coyote too, cool bag, but is it worth more than double the price of the Enduro? Plus how does bolting it to the fenders work? Is it only to the rear fender or the side ones too? How does that affect getting at the air filter?

I am considering a tank bag too, but it seems like that would take up too much seat room. I haven't found any pictures of how it fits with the IMS tank either.

I sheared the two rack bolts under the fender on the first day of my adventure ride. I haven't fixed it yet, but I'm going to look into using larger bolts to prevent that from happening again.
NW_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #1743
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Plated and uncorked XR

Soltek Fuego headlights

Whoa...looks real good.

Any chance of some closeup around the mounting of those lights?

Much appreciated
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #1744
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Hey Scoutman,

Thanks for the links. I'll have to read through them. I saw the Coyote too, cool bag, but is it worth more than double the price of the Enduro? Plus how does bolting it to the fenders work? Is it only to the rear fender or the side ones too? How does that affect getting at the air filter?
I can't say if it's really worth twice as much as I haven't had either yet. I will say the Coyote has almost twice the capacity and is made of an arguably tougher material. The mounting system is a similar strap design, which means it comes off quickly when it's not needed, for filter service, or for storing in the motel room. As soon as my big tank shows up, I'll shoot some pictures of the tank bag mounted up.
Scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #1745
Mtrain
free range

Oddometer: 437
How many miles do people get out of these engines?
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #1746
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrain View Post
How many miles do people get out of these engines?
A lot.

It depends wildly though, mine has 14000 on it and ive raced it, camped off it, taken it to Tennessee, Michigan, rode all over Indiana and used it just as a dirt bike and ive only had to adjust the valves once and the engine has never been apart. I did have a scare about two weeks ago thinking it was using oil but I think I just read it wrong and didn't realize how many miles I had actually put on it.

These engines will go to 20,000 without too much of a problem if its in a dualsport mode. Even used as a dirt bike only they will still go a hell of a long way before youll need anything. Remember though, maintenance is the key. With that in mind though, the XRR will take a lot of abuse before it bites you. And I mean A LOT.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #1747
Beserker
Red Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
A lot.

......and ive only had to adjust the valves once and the engine has never been apart.

Remember though, maintenance is the key..
+1...Mine has 18 000 km, been a Super Motard, Africa tourer and occasional racer.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #1748
NW_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserker View Post
Whoa...looks real good.

Any chance of some closeup around the mounting of those lights?

Much appreciated
Here you go:

NW_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #1749
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Here you go:

Baja Designs makes good stuff, I had a set of those lights on my old Buell.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #1750
Beserker
Red Rider

Quote:
Here you go:
Thanks NWR...two questions:

The whole assembly seem to be hanging of 4 hose clamps...is this not a bit flimsy?

I take it is the HID lights, with the ballast at the bottom. I notice you have also upgraded your stator....

I have the Oz model with a 85W stator, my battery charges off this at a constant 14.8...will it be sufficient for a light set up like yours?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #1751
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,452
That light setup looks pretty good

Now a nice fairing built around them and thats the go!
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #1752
brp2004
Orygun

Oddometer: 200
xrr

Front fender bags that rely on the clips can fall off. The next front fender bag I'm buying is the one from dirtbikegear, it straps to the forks. Right now I'm using the GL Mojave to carry extra tubes, tools, etc. It's the right size for day trips. I have used it to motel camp in conjunction with a backpack to carry my clothes. I didn't like how the mojave fit with the promoto billet rack so I got rid of the rack.

Quote:
Plated and uncorked XR
IMS 4.something gallon tank
Soltek Fuego headlights
LED brake light and signals
150W stator
XR's Only billet rack
Aftermarket plastics
KTM front fender
Case saver, rear disc, and chain guards
FMF Q series silencer
Renthal Hi rise bars
Billet oversize bar clamps
Folding shift lever
Oversize foot pegs
Skid plate
Trail Tech Endurance computer
Enduro Engineering bark busters
new seat cover
radiator guards
1.8 bar radiator cap
15t front sprocket
etc.

Not shown:
Double Take mirrors
Eibach fork and shock springs (.47 and 11.5)
Rotopax 1 gal tank

I'm currently running Shinko 244's. I have close to 1,000 miles on them and have been happy with their on and off road performance and tread life so far (not to mention their price too).

I'm looking at luggage options now. I've been using a hiking backpack on the multi-day dual sport rides, but that's getting old. Right now I'm leaning towards the Wolfman enduro saddlebags. Anyone have any experience with those? How much do they hold and if they get in the way of kick starting? I like the "light and fast" idea. The group I ride with prefer hotels over camping so I don't need to haul camping and cooking gear.

Also, what about the Moose dual sport front fender pack? Is it safe to put anything more in there besides a spare tube and irons?

brp2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #1753
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,321
The clip on fender bags work fine ...if you squeeze the clips with some pliers so they pinch the fender better. I ran one for a year in some rocky riding and it held on fine. BRP is right though, the tube bag from Dirt Bike Gear is a better option and quality is top notch. I'm running one of the their tool and fender bags and have had zero issues with them. It's Moab tested

RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #1754
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp2004 View Post
Front fender bags that rely on the clips can fall off.
I have used notches in the fender to hold the clips better....but in fast, rough riding they can still pop off. For the last few years I've put a small slot in the fender and run a small strap thru and around the fender bag....works great and doesn't weaken the fender.

I've done this on four XR's and three KTM's.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #1755
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I have used notches in the fender to hold the clips better....but in fast, rough riding they can still pop off. For the last few years I've put a small slot in the fender and run a small strap thru and around the fender bag....works great and doesn't weaken the fender.

I've done this on four XR's and three KTM's.
I drill a hole through the slit in the metal clips and zip tie the clip through the fender (I do all four of them). It will NEVER come off.

Garthe screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 09:45 AM
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote