User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #1771
SwampFox89
Old Skool

Oddometer: 47
Laugh I drank the red cool aid

Picked up a new to me Piggy last weekend. Can't wait to get some miles in the saddle this season. Just need to get rid of this snow in the North Country of NY

It's a 2005 that had a Baja Designs kit put on it when new, titled in PA, need to transfer it to NY yet. Bike has around 2000 miles on it. Was always adult owner and ridden. First owner bought it new and converted it from the showroom, rode it for 3 years and then traded it to the guy I bought it from for a Jeep wrangler 2 years ago. He only put 500 miles on it mostly on logging roads in NW PA.

There is a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it too, which I am stoked about. Not too sure what all is aftermarket and what is stock Honda though...

This being said I up graded from a 1972 XL250KO to this, so I am stoked and scared all at the same time. I know this is the bike I want though, just need to spend some time with it. It is the newest thing I own too, next being a 1989 Yamaha Moto 4 Lets just say I am into the vintage stuff.

If you guys see anything else worth while that I don't realize is on this thing, the help would be appreciated. Here is what I know is on it:

-Renthal Bars
-Larger Pegs
-Aluminum Skid plate
-Heavy spring kit front and rear -for a 225lb rider. I am 180ish depending. The PO gave me the stock springs to go with it. I plan on doing mostly adventure riding and street. I will have some luggage on the bike while doing this. DO you think I should leave the bike sprung the way it is? or switch it back? My thought was me + luggage would be perfect for the way it is set up now.
-Large capacity fuel tank...not sure what brand?
-FMF pipe
-Seat handle
-Rear disc guard...not sure what brand?
-There are these thin aluminum plates right where your ankles would be on the bike from "works connection" what are these for?
-Moose Fender bag
-Circa hand guards
-Vector TrailTech Computer, I notice everyone gets the Vapor instead of the Vector... is there a reason for this?
-PO also threw in a factory service manual. No Owners manual.

The tires on it right now are pretty much DOT dirt tires. Any suggestions for more street friendly tires? This bike will be seeing some good road miles this summer due to my current job I have lined up. I would like something that is street friendly, but can still kick it on dirt roads and maybe be ok on single track. Longevity on the road would be nice too.

Thanks for the input!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #1772
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Oddometer: 237
Nice looking BRP SwampFox. With your gear on, luggage and a bigger tank, I am betting the springs are going to be in the ballpark. Might try looking on the cap for a tank manufacturer, Looks like a Clarke to me. Read up on the subframe weakness when considering luggage options. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to give for the bike with the current setup?
Scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #1773
deepsea rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
My 2002 BRP:

Baja design DSK
Soltech 8" Racelight w/100w bulb
Big Gun exhaust
Pro Taper bars
Acerbis Bark busters
Ricky Stator 200w duel output
Clarke 4.? gas tank
Black side panels
Rox 2" bar extenders
Double Take mirror
More to come and one other thing I have on my bike
A BIG SH$T EATN GRIN when I am riding
Attached Images

2012 KTM 990 ADV
Ride hard, eat good and Drink tequila.
deepsea rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 AM   #1774
SwampFox89
Old Skool

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutman View Post
Nice looking BRP SwampFox. With your gear on, luggage and a bigger tank, I am betting the springs are going to be in the ballpark. Might try looking on the cap for a tank manufacturer, Looks like a Clarke to me. Read up on the subframe weakness when considering luggage options. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to give for the bike with the current setup?
I have been reading into the subframe problems. Curious to know what the difference is between the non-US subframes and the US subframe? I know they are different and I think the non-US ones are made of steel. I thought maybe locate one of those and swap it out? I know there are other options too. For the bike as is with all I listed, I dished out $3200. Thought I did pretty good all considering
Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 AM   #1775
kennyrob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
fender support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox89 View Post
I have been reading into the subframe problems. Curious to know what the difference is between the non-US subframes and the US subframe? I know they are different and I think the non-US ones are made of steel. I thought maybe locate one of those and swap it out? I know there are other options too. For the bike as is with all I listed, I dished out $3200. Thought I did pretty good all considering
I think your talking about the rear fender support Euro & Australian bikes come with standard. They come with a fender extender which mounts blinkers, a larger tail stop lamp & number plate mount.
A tubular steel bracket/frame is fitted standard from the subframe back to the extender to support this extra weight
Also gives aditional support to most aftermarket rack fitments
kennyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #1776
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox89 View Post
The subframe is plenty strong, the aluminum bar stock is pretty beefy....it's just too short to support a load beyond the back of the seat. The racks made by PMB anchor into the end of the subframe on the stock mounts, and those won't support much weight on two little bolts.

As was mentioned, the non-U.S. market subframe add-ons are provided to support for turn signals and bigger taillights - but aren't entire subframe replacements.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #1777
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,555
I'm running the Baja Designs 250w rewind, 80w-85 Osram H4, grip heaters, GPS, and the Vapor backlighting thru a Fuzeblock FZ-1 mounted under the 'dashboard'.
Charges fine at idle until I turn the headlight on, then you need a few rpms - just regular riding, nothing major. Couple thousand rpms is fine. Nice to be able to check the juice real time with the Kuryakyn monitor.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #1778
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,081
I'm thinking of taking the plunge on the Acerbis underseat tank to match my front tank before I can't find one. This economy is starting to take out gas stations in the remote places I like to ride and my only options are to carry more fuel or get better fuel economy.

Anybody run the underseat tank?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #1779
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I'm thinking of taking the plunge on the Acerbis underseat tank to match my front tank before I can't find one. This economy is starting to take out gas stations in the remote places I like to ride and my only options are to carry more fuel or get better fuel economy.

Anybody run the underseat tank?
Hmmm you know what, that underseat tank might be good for storage, or a place to mount a bigger 12volt battery...hmmmmm The 6.3 gallon gets me to where I need to get...but I could use a spot other then my airbox for the 12v battery. Just an idea.

Edited to say: yep just looked up the price and I forgot you needed the special seat too. If I ever find one laying around somewhere for cheap I might get it, be worth playing with.

modette screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 12:23 PM
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #1780
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Hmmm you know what, that underseat tank might be good for storage, or a place to mount a bigger 12volt battery...hmmmmm The 6.3 gallon gets me to where I need to get...but I could use a spot other then my airbox for the 12v battery. Just an idea.

Edited to say: yep just looked up the price and I forgot you needed the special seat too. If I ever find one laying around somewhere for cheap I might get it, be worth playing with.

Yeah, it's not cheap. I live close to both Corbin and Renazco, I could drop the bike at either place and get them to do a custom seat to match the two tanks. I'm still riding on the stock seat because I've had the thought of doing the rear tank and only want to buy a custom seat once.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #1781
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yeah, it's not cheap. I live close to both Corbin and Renazco, I could drop the bike at either place and get them to do a custom seat to match the two tanks. I'm still riding on the stock seat because I've had the thought of doing the rear tank and only want to buy a custom seat once.
Not like you could sell the custom stock seat easy enough...just in case, I hope to have first dibs

Yeah, I run the stock seat...Its not that bad once you use it for 10K miles, I'm kind of used to it.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #1782
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Work in progress,love the xrs good power and easy to work on
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #1783
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post

Anymore pics of the rear tank? Giant Loop would probably work with that tank.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #1784
NW_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
That's quite the skid plate. Does it carry tools or extra fluids?
NW_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #1785
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Great looking bike. What forks are those? they look like they are off a KTM...

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote