Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #2011
BronkoRob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I'm not sure of the brand of light. I got it from a friend of a friend deal. It is very bright though. The outside 4 are floods and center 4 are spots. I used acerbis hand guard bar mount hard ware to mount the light. Yes it is mounted to the bars.

Not a fan of the cheesy plastic button with led indicator. Gonna see what's out there to swap on.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #2012
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronkoRob View Post
I'm not sure of the brand of light. I got it from a friend of a friend deal. It is very bright though. The outside 4 are floods and center 4 are spots. I used acerbis hand guard bar mount hard ware to mount the light. Yes it is mounted to the bars.

Not a fan of the cheesy plastic button with led indicator. Gonna see what's out there to swap on.
With Bluetooth so common you think you could have a wireless remote setup and mount it to where a rider would want it.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #2013
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post

i have removed the stock ally subframe and a mate has made some subframes exactly the same but out of steal ...very strong ..

damn, that's a nice frame. shame I wasn't closer I'd order one from him!
Akunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #2014
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,202
yes they are and very very strong .....he made 4 only and has ppl pestering him for more ... but there time consuming to make and the price would be around 700 so not really a thing to make for a xrr as most ppl cant see the bigger picture and wont pay that price
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #2015
pigjockey
Hognuts

Oddometer: 207
sean-o

yer gunna need duals on that pig if you keep piling crap on the poor thing. save some room for that project i'm making us. Looks like your tire found the fender brace. I'm working on a compression stop for the rear wheel than I think its a go on the surprise part. How does the forks handle that fuel load? I think I can get your frontend a good 25 lbs. lighter for other more important goodies (beer). You my friend might wanna consider getting a ford diesel p/u truck knock out the glass and sell that lil pig Chuck
pigjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #2016
modette
RMAR

Too much Fuel....LOL I'm happy with my 6.3 gallon tank it lets me get anywhere I need to be.

That rear subframe looks nice...yeah I think it's time if you are carrying that much for a bigger Adventure bike not to replace but to share the stable with the XR650R.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #2017
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Welding aluminum supports on the side and front of the stock subframe (where breaks occur) take cares of the issue and is much lighter than a complete steel subframe. You can find posts re this mod in the XR650R forum.
Gildus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #2018
Sean-0
Closed

yep good luck with that ....ill take my steal frame over any ally supports you can come up with ,,,,,,
Old 04-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #2019
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
yep good luck with that ....ill take my steal frame over any ally supports you can come up with ,,,,,,
I've never heard of a properly modified (it's a major reinforcement) aluminum subframe breaking; of course if you're piling things up six feet high on a pig, maybe an all-steel subframe is the way to go.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #2020
Sean-0
Closed

Six feet high haha ..unlike you day tripers ..we ride remote no fuel .water or food for days .....its actuslly only a lil bit more weight .....trust me if you seen the frames you would drop your ally subframe like a hot rock .....y bike is in excess of 50, 000miles on original bore...we ride ...we dont drink coffee at starbucks
Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #2021
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Six feet high haha ..unlike you day tripers ..we ride remote no fuel .water or food for days .....its actuslly only a lil bit more weight .....trust me if you seen the frames you would drop your ally subframe like a hot rock .....y bike is in excess of 50, 000miles on original bore...we ride ...we dont drink coffee at starbucks
What is Star Bucks?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #2022
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sean-O, I think you've been around long enough to have seen the post a year or so ago describing the stock subframe reinforcement (it's massive). Just ask Mike from Manracks how strong it is; I use his fender support as well and it's worked perfectly for multi-night camping trips and long expeditions. I try to keep things as light as possible, though, to retain the XRR's handling capabilities. That takes a little planning, but it's well worth it IMO.

I've loaded the bike up to the point where it was a handful to deal with, wallowing and slow to turn, no matter where the weight was placed. At that point it stops being fun for me, so I prefer not to do it. To each his own.

I don't know what Starbucks has to do with anything...don't even drink coffee.

The XRR is a versatile machine and fits a lot of riding styles. But no one has to grossly overload their pig to be a "real man."
Old 04-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #2023
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
I think Gildus should find the post about the subframe reinforcement for us. I'm not sure I've seen it.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #2024
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
CycleWorks

This is a CycleWorks rack. I can't attest to how strong it is. Haven't had it long enough. Time will tell. I did see a pic of a TW200 that had been ass-ended with the rack. The rack looked un-scathed! This rack seems to be a subframe. I'm hoping the empty holster makes someone think, there is a guy close by with a 357, maybe I better not touch it! The shoulder bag (purse) is full of 0-shit tools, zip-ties, flat repair kit, and papers for the man. I don't think the bike is over-loaded, it's still pulls the front end off the ground in most gears. I love the wind protection.

luckychucky screwed with this post 04-03-2014 at 01:38 PM
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #2025
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
I think Gildus should find the post about the subframe reinforcement for us. I'm not sure I've seen it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post16975393

Hontri later posted that it's held up like a champ. If you read all his posts you'll see this is a guy who knows his sh**.